first testarossa gear box oil change | FerrariChat

first testarossa gear box oil change

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jamesrobba, Apr 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    guys i would like a heads up on please changing the gear box oil , i do have the socket and the royal purple 10 quarts ready to go , please any thing to look out for or anything i need a heads up on please if you guys have done it , please step by step please thank you all jim

2. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Do a search....this has been done many times.....including me.

If you can' find the relevant posts, post and we'll take you through the procedure.

....you can do it.

....still trying to figure out how to help UpNorth on his front trunk lid issue though....

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

3. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Make sure you open the fill plugs first.. you dont want to drain all the fluid and then have a problem opening the fill plugs..

R

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Remove both drain plugs, one on the transaxle (Cambio) and one one the transfer case. Replace the drain plugs. Fill the transaxle through the level hose on the rear of the transaxle until oil starts to come out of the level plug on the back of the transaxle. Wait until the oil stops flowing out. Now fill the transfer case unit from the oil fill on the top of the transfer case until oil starts coming out of the level plug on the back of the transaxle again ( it will not take much).

Brian Brown
    Patrick Ottis Co.

5. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Brian's advice is right on (as one might expect!) and here's one thread of many that suitably describe as well, with pictures. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244343&highlight=TR+oil+change

If I can add one thing to this, the plug on my car was so tight I BENT my rinky dink 3/8" drive and had to go to a 1/2".

I also used a breaker bar (the extension bar on my trusty bottle jack was too short; then just got a pipe that'd barely fit around the socket handle. That did it.) I aint kidding you, this thing is probably tighter than you're thinking. I didn't put it back on that tight. Someone can give torque ratings, but all I can say is mine doesn't leak.

6. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    A nice bump from 2010.

I had to drain about a pint from my transfer case to remove the bell housing for my clutch job. Rather than topping it back up, I think I should just drain and replace the gear oil since I don;t know the last time it was done (possibly during major service 2 years ago but not sure).

Any advice on the Royal Purple? Are there different grades of it that are more suitable for the TR's?

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have never found Royal Purple to give as good shift quality as Redline 75-90.

I had one client ask me to use it as an experiment and he came back and asked me to drain it back out and put Redline back in.

I am told Rotra LSX is better still but can be difficult to find.

8. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My mechanic thinks royal purple was in my 512TR when I got it and it wouldn't downshift all that well (too slippery on the syncro rings?).
    We put the Ferrari recommended oil in and after a hundred miles or so it was much better.
    Not tried redline, another experiment for a future service...

9. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Ive not tried the Royal Purple either but I have just this week had my oil changed to Redline NS as recommended on this forum and all I can says is wow. Mine shifts amazing now.

10. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    That Redline stuff is the best in my opinion.

P

11. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Sweet. I'll try the Redline. Is there a certain blend or weight I need to consider?

12. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I used the 75/90 NS and added some LSD additive. So far just one bottle of the GM branded additive has been added and so far perfect.

13. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James

Let me know where you end up buying it from around here.

14. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #14 ozziindaus, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    If you need additive, add a little at a time until you are happy with gear selection but less that the maximum amount. This way the Diff works at its best but the gear selectors are still well lubricated.

Phil

16. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    That is NOT the NS version recommended ozziindaus.

P

17. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #17 ozziindaus, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That is the product you want.

19. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Thanks guys. I've also read that the sump and filler nuts are a PITA. Let's see how it goes.

James,

want me to order you some? I think it takes a total of 10 quarts so maybe I'll get 5 bottles. Tell me soon so I can place the order.

PS. got myself a nice CDI bidirectional torque wrench for the wheels if you ever need to borrow it.

20. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    thanks, but I think I'll try to see if there's a local place that has it. I just sent my fuel distros out so I got some downtime for a week or two.

21. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
  22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Same here.
    75/90 NS
    3 ounces of GM LSD additive.
    Perfect combination for my car.

23. Roberto360

Roberto360 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    Anyone ever use Mobil 1 75/90?
    Any pro's or con's?

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Just curious. They are known to be very fussy about gear oil. We know a lot about what works and what doesn't. Some of us have been fighting this since the early days of the BB512 and the 308's in the 70's so we have learned a bit. Of all the specialty oils out there that have been specifically formulated to cure or avoid problems and you want to use a product whose primary goal was to meet a price point?

I don't really get it.

I will give you one reason if the above was not enough. Few if any of the off the shelf GL5 gear oils are made without positraction additive.

25. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    There are no Pro's to using Mobil 1 or (insert name here).
    The Con is that your car will NOT shift between gears easily (or at all in some cases).