458 Values when 488 comes out | FerrariChat

458 Values when 488 comes out

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by islandtrader, Jul 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi, I am in the market for a 458 but scared right now that the bottom will fall out once the new 488 will arrive. I just saw what happened to Gallardo values when the Huracon came out, granted those are lambos. When will the first 488 arrive in the US? What kind of depreciation do you guys expect on the 458s?

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Prices may fall a bit but a lot of people won't be getting 488's for at least a year. I would wait for the dead of winter and drive your best deal if you are really worried about price.

Remember it's not a game to get the cheapest Ferrari you can. It's getting the best one you can find that you like and you can afford.

Model year, mileage, color combo and history are much more important than price IMO. You don't buy these things every day. Get one you can really love and forget about the money.

3. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

^^^^^
    This. + you can wait and wait an the next thing you know life will pass you by or something else will come up. Make the commitment now and enjoy my bro. Good luck.

4. islandtrader

Jun 30, 2013
    True, just trying to get the best price as I can. I'm coming from a r8 v10 so this will be another league of a car.

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Absolutely !

6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Yes it will , but sooooo worth it. Have fun shopping and don't just settle for one . Make sure it's the exact color combo you want with all the options too. Good luck bro and keep us posted.

7. Word Up

Word Up Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    It's a very legit question. It could be a delicate one since many are current owners and don't want to see their value decrease but one's that are shopping are curious. Enough with the "if you have the money" answers. This is a smart, cautious approach. Maybe this approach is how they "have the money".

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    "If" you don't have the money, don't buy one.

Owners can do very little to control the market. What is said here is a drop in the bucket.

Everyone knows depreciation can and will happen. Some models more than others so it's a legitimate question.

What they also know is a major accident will depreciate a car a lot faster than the years going by. So, should we all just park them in climate controlled garages and wipe them with a diaper once a week to avoid this? What's the point of owning the car?

9. tikitiki

tikitiki Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2014
    Windermere, Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was shopping for my first Fcar and the guy at the dealer pissed me off so I walked out.

then i found a car I liked and the seller acted like a jerk.

I shopped and shopped and shopped. Then life got in the way.

A few years later I started looking again, by this time the original car I was looking at had skyrocketed. I started looking for something that would hold its value or go up. Like a scud. I fell in love with a 2010 458 and pulled the trigger. Its the car I said I wasn't going to get in the color I said I wasn't going to get but then I drove it. It could have been my third Ferrari not my first but I burned so much time looking and not driving. I'll lose money, I know this to be a definite.

These are the things I won't loose

The feeling when I got the keys
    The feeling I get when I see it
    The feeling I get when I hit that start button
    The feeling I got when I drove it to meet up with people I met here for the first time
    The feeling I got when they were just excited to see it and congratulate me
    The feeling I got yesterday when a 10 yr old wanted to take pics and after he did I let him sit in it. The look on his face was worth a lot to me.
    The feeling of being in a Ferrari.

There are a lot of stocks you can buy with a couple of a hundred grand but not a one of them can give you all this. Ferraris are like women get the one you love and you won't mind all the money that disappears.

10. LuxuryLife

LuxuryLife Karting

Mar 19, 2015
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I'm planning to pick one up in the winter once the prices stabilize some. Right now they are on a continuous downward trend, as expected.

11. Nrajabali

Nrajabali Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Ca
    Full Name:
    Nizar
    Very well said 😊

12. aviator88

aviator88 Karting

May 13, 2015
    Johannesburg
    Well put. You've perfectly encapsulated the Ferrari ownership experience. You cannot put a price on the one car that's perfect for you.

13. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    I tried that last fall and into winter, and guess what, it didn't work. The good examples will always bring the money. Like everyone on here has mentioned, find the right one for you and pull the trigger. As soon as you are driving it and have owned it for a little while all the stuff you worry about in the buying process, depreciation, miles, stone chips go out the window because the true enjoyment is driving and the relationships you make in the Ferrari world. The car will always depreciate and when the 488 run is over in 4 years and a total makeover comes the 488 will drop as well. If you truly want to wait for 458 price stabilization you will need to wait for another 10 years. Buy and enjoy, it's a great ride!

14. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    Good analogy LOL - yet still a lot less expensive (Ferrari that is) :)

15. tikitiki

tikitiki Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2014
    Windermere, Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Good point Lukas. Yes at the end of the day the car is less. lol

16. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    as long as it is just a manicure it needs and not full reconstructive surgery :):)

17. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    What? When the prices "stabilize" a little? huh? are you talking about the the housing market? commodities? the stock market? not sure what you are talking about.. there is no "volatility" in the price of a 458.. in fact they are and have been very stable.. I'm trading mine in this week when I pick up my Speciale.. pretty sure the prices are very stable.

Keep waiting, keep dreaming.. I'll keep driving.

18. LuxuryLife

LuxuryLife Karting

Mar 19, 2015
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Have you been under a rock? Have you not seen the prices drop significantly the past few months? Cars are selling for at least $10k less than they were just a few months ago. Yes prices will "stabilize" some once the 488 comes out. Until then they will continue downwards. This is not rocket science and is true in every model example.

19. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Not is this part of the world.. prices have not dropped $10K in the last couple of months. I'm selling my 2011 for $10K less after 1 year and 3K miles.. nothing volatile about that.. I'm certainly not living under a rock.. I've been in the market for years and on my 4th Ferrari.. pretty sure I keep up with the market.. I'm a buyer and seller not a looker / speculator.

20. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    Yeah you can most likely find cars that have dropped in price in the last few months, but they are the odd color combo cars, or one's without the popular options. Like I mentioned before, the good cars with the popular options will still bring the money. I will be a while before the 458 becomes a 150 - 175K car. Good 430's are still bringing 130K.

21. islandtrader

Jun 30, 2013
    I can certainly afford a ferrari and I am looking for the overall experience to be a breathtaking one. As with everything in my life, I am always looking for a good deal with anything that I buy, in fact its how I make my living, so in general its about principle rather than money.

That being said I really would love to own a 458. Personally I know the 488 will be a better car if every way(ok maybe not engine noise), but the 458 just does it for me. I just looked at some gallardos and that market has taken a beating with the new Huracan on the roads.

I'm looking for some newer 2013s with 2-7k miles for 220ish?

How much do you guys think 458s will lose in the next 2-3 years?

22. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Unless you are driving an Enzo, LaFerrari, F50, or F40.. they depreciate.. look at F430s or Sduderias.. that is a fact.. if you are waiting got the non-depraciating Ferrari.. you are lookingg in the wrong class. Buy one.. enjoy it.

23. s.freid

s.freid Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Seattle / NYC
    599 SA Aperta, 599 GTO, Superamerica, Challenge Stradale, etc

While I agree that most of the "mass produced" f-cars (F430, 458, etc) will not appreciate, the appreciating models are hardly limited to the four you listed.

24. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    They made 20k+

We are in uncharted waters. No one knows for sure what the values will be in the next 2-3 years.

Add to this the other suitably great used and new cars.

These are new times. Soon, used Ferraris will be like used anything else. A nice used car. Sorry, its true. THEY MADE 20k+.

Assume they make even more 488s.

IMO (and thats it) we will see 20%+ value loss in 458s over the next 18-24 months. Maybe more.

25. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    why are so many people worried about depreciation, if you go to the Ford site, people are enjoying their Fiesta ST's and loving them. it has cost them the same % of their wealth or earnings as someone who wants to buy a Ferrari. Enjoy the moment arrive at the Pearly gates and say wow what a blast I am so glad that I had a Ferrari in my lifetime. :):)