So long to a loved 355b | FerrariChat

So long to a loved 355b

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JSL, Jul 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    #1 JSL, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Owning a Ferrari is a special privilege. I feel like you never really own one, you are more the steward of it until the next passionate steward comes along. I've been the steward of 5 so far. This is the first time in over 2 decades I haven't had one in the garage. It feels very strange. But, I know the 355 went to a great guy who will take it to the next level. I'm glad that the Ferrari community is fairly small. It is amazing how owners and past owners can connect over the years. So, now I have a McLaren 12C in the garage. It's a great car and I am loving every moment with it. Just a little nostalgic about the Ferrari badge. That said, I will likely own another in the future. I have no idea what it will be. But, I'm pretty sure there is another in my future. For now, here is the 355's replacement. I'll keep track of the happenings on this forum. Heck, I've been a member since 2002! Enjoy your cars and never stop driving them.
    Blessings,
    Scott
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Norge

Norge Rookie

Jul 1, 2015
    Pewaukee WI
    Full Name:
    John Havnen
    I wouldn't kick that 12C out of bed for eating cookies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Beautiful looking car. Enjoy her in good health and safety.

Did you compare any cars, such as the 458, before deciding on the McLaren? If so, what swayed your decision to the McLaren?

4. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Yes,
    I was serious about a 458. Still love them. However, after driving the 12C I was so impressed that it just drew me in. It's a different drive than the 458. I won't do it but it can be driven daily. It's just a matter of taste and personal preference. No big reason other than I really liked it.

5. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    That is all that matters, that you liked it better.

6. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If it makes you feel better I sold my beloved Testarossa...a car I swore I would never sell ...and also bought a McLaren 12c. One test drive and I knew I had to have one.

Owning a Ferrari was my dream and I will also miss the marque, but its hard to deny the goodness of the 12c. It is brilliant in every way. I have had mine for two months and 1500 miles and it just keeps getting better and better. From highways, to city traffic, to barnstorming the backroads...it is just sublime.

I know you will miss your 355...I know the feeling... but the McLaren is unfrickenbelievable.

Congrats

7. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard

Hard to say on a Ferrari forum but, three weeks and 600 miles and I'm all smiles. My love and respect for Ferrari remains intact. I've owned multiple Ferraris, Porsches, Corvettes a Lamborghini and now the 12c. I've enjoyed them all but this new one is truly something. special. 😎

8. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #8 F456 V12, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As a former serial Ferrari owner, I decided to try something different, 16 months now and all smiles, best dam sports car I have ever owned,

Congrats and welcome to the club,

MB

9. pshep138

pshep138 Formula 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Midwest
    Very interesting how many Ferrari owners go to the 12C. A friend of mine sold his white/red F430 and bought a McLaren orange 12 Project Alpha, and says it's his favorite sports car he's ever owned.

The ride quality is impeccable.

10. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe

The sheer breadth of its capabilities are mesmerizing. However, the ride quality is definitely one of my favorite points. Until you've driven one, it's hard to appreciate. A car with its performance capabilities should not be able to deliver such a supple ride.

11. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Compare going from analog cars to one of the most modern cars there is.

12. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Because I'm such a nice guy Scott, whenever you feel nostalgic, I'd be happy to trade you straight up for the 12C! ;) I know, I know . . . you're thinking, "to what do you owe such generosity?". That's just how I roll.

Joking aside, best wishes with the 12C. And don't forget, if I ever get out your way . . . . .

13. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #13 JoeZaff, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015

True... FWIW, if you were to poll my friends they would vote me least likely to own a modern sports car. The McLaren has a very unique feel. It's not analog, but it is definitely different than other sports cars, which is why I think it is pulling in so many of us who prefer the older stuff.

Just to be clear though, no modern sports car will ever be as entertaining to me as the vintage stuff it's just that it is limited in its usefulness.

My modified 73 MGB doesn't have power brakes, steering... Heck it doesn't even have windows or a top and I sit on modified metal bomber seats... It is my favorite car I have ever owned and I drive the wheels off of it to the tune of 5k a year. However, it has a time and place.

So no, analog vs. modern is not a fair comparison, but if your lifestyle requires a modern car, there are worst places to end up than a 12c ;)

Here is my thread on my MGB "resto"

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mid-atlantic-region-usa-pa-de-md-dc-va-sponsored-competizione/443341-how-i-spent-my-winter-mgb-resto-hell.html

14. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Mark,
    The way the 355 has been increasing in value lately that may not be a bad bet! I have a package headed your way. You ever make it out here, you are going to have your socks blown off in the 12c:)
    Scott

15. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    12c reminds me of a modern NSX more so than the real NSX. I really love it, and feel its under-appreciated. Congrats!

16. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    The 12C or 650S are just amazing modernly fast, comfortable and dd usable cars that can outperform most other sports cars on the track. The sound is not as good as the modern NA V8 Ferrari's in my opinion. In the local car scene where I am at ,there are many more 430's, 458, California's than Mclaren's, so it's nice to see Mc's driving about. The 12C is soooo much faster and gives you so much more confidence in the turns than the F355, it is amazing how far technology has advanced over 15 years or so. The F355 is a true Classic/vintage car that should be appreciated for it's classic feel if the gated shifter clicks, and the unrivaled scream after 5000 rpm's up to 8500 redline. I'd you drive the 355 and 12C back to back you realize how hard you are concentrating and working to keep the Ferrari at speed while in the 12C you are not even "breaking a sweat". At any moment you felt like pushing the 12C a bit you will leave the F355 behind with barely any effort or fear.

17. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Exactly!

18. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I understand. You should make the 12c a daily driver, might be the only one in the world.

19. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I sold my 355 a few years ago and hope to make the jump to a 12C or 570S next year, so stop talking it up so much, I need to be able to afford it first :D

20. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    I had a professor in graduate school many years ago who would say, "this is so good, you should sell your bed to get it". :)

I must say, it is a pretty amazing car.