Review of Forza's Exhaust Bypass Controller & Ferrari Racing Exhaust System | FerrariChat

Review of Forza's Exhaust Bypass Controller & Ferrari Racing Exhaust System

Discussion in '360/430' started by burlroad, Apr 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. burlroad

burlroad Rookie

Apr 29, 2013
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi Guys,

Having owned my 2004 360 Spider for nearly a year now, I decided to roll up my sleeves, dust off the tools and make my first set of modifications before summer actually shows up...

My project included the purchase and installation of Steve Bisel's (aka Forza Componenti) Exhaust Bypass Valve Controller (with remote) as well as Ferrari's Racing Exhaust System, which was purchased from Ferrari of Tampa Bay.

I have posted several videos for you to see (and hear) the end result. This first video is the 360 at idle following both the exhaust bypass and racing exhaust installations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f--nMYsy2UE

The second video provides some footage and sound clips of the system at higher RPM's.

In the video clips, I am opening and closing the exhaust bypass valves via the remote control that comes with the system manufactured by Steve Bisel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Z50tuW5gw

Needless to say, I am more than pleased with the system that Forza Componenti has manufactured. The build quality is second to none, and Steve was extremely helpful in encouraging me through the process. Frankly, the system is very straight forward and can be installed within a 90 minutes if you already have the Racing Exhaust System installed, and a slightly longer if you need to remove a few more items to complete the install. I do believe most of you could perform this mod without issue. I ended up mounting the bypass controller in a location that was easy to get at as I was already removing the rear challenge grill, rear tires, etc in order to remove the stock exhaust for the Racing Exhaust System. While I thought my stock 360 sounded good before these modifications, I am completely blown away with what she sounds like following the mods.
    Ferrari's Racing Exhaust System sounds incredible when you open it up, but with the exhaust bypass system installed, you get to enjoy that glorious sound under 4,000 RPM's. (No, I haven't installed the ECU's that came with the Racing Exhaust System, however Ferrari of Tampa Bay is sending out the ECU's to be mapped should I elect to install them at a later time)

Enjoy!
    David

2. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #2 bisel, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
    Hi David,

I am really pleased with way your project turned out. Thanks for the comments. Now I expect you want to get the car out on the streets!

Again ... thank you.

Steve
    [Commercial link removed by moderator.]

3. GeeWhizPilot

GeeWhizPilot Rookie

Oct 30, 2010
    Boston Area
    I just installed the Exhaust Bypass Valve w/Remote Kit on my 2007 F430 Spider. The installation was very straight forward and only took about 90 minutes. There was no need to remove anything except the two small engine bay access covers to gain access to the bypass solenoids, although the left is easier to access if you slightly loosen the bolts holding the accumulator tank. The instructions were great and the video on the web site was helpful as well. The quality of the components is exceptional! The box, the cables and the connectors are first rate. The friend that helped me is an engineer and he repeatedly said he's never seen this component quality in an automotive product. There are no CEL issues and no DTC codes being logged by the ECU, we checked using a SD2. And, most importantly, the sound, at the press of a button, is now fantastic!

4. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Steve was very straightforward to deal with. After a week or so the remote stopped working and after some troubleshooting advice from Steve we decided that the remote module in the unit was bad. Steve offered to pay for the unit to be shipped back for him to replace the module or he would send me a new module. As I'm okay with electronics I agreed to the latter and replaced it -- works fine. He even threw in an extra remote. The quality of the system is second to none and install was easy as my 99 doesn't have the air pump so I installed the unit in the engine compartment on the drivers side rear wheel well.
    Alan

5. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    if anyone has the controller with the older antenna ... a straight piece of wire ... drop me a line so I can send you a kit to convert that to a high gain external antenna. The new antenna will improve the RF reception.

I notified everyone, but not all responded to my email.

Regards,

Steve

6. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    How do I order a bypass unit?

7. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Hi,

I have listed the controller in the classified section. To save you time, though, you can go directly to this web site..

Forza Componenti - Home

Regards,

Steve

8. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Last weekend installed the Forza controller on a Maserati GT. Very easy install and results were great. That car sounds terrific with exhaust bypass valves open.

Forza Componenti - Home

Regards,

Steve

9. Gooberuge

Gooberuge Karting

Nov 13, 2012
    West Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Rex
    #9 Gooberuge, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Guys:

I recently installed the Forza Componenti Exhaust Bypass Valve Kit in my 2008 F430 Coupe and am here to say that it not only works perfectly, but it sounds fantastic! It's also very easy to install. If you choose, however, to operate the system manually via a switch as I did, it takes a bit of work to route a wire from the Forza controller, through a grommet in the lower part of the firewall, to, in my case, the center console. The F430 Coupe has an excellent place on the frame to mount the controller, and the supplied cables are long enough to easily place them out-of-site and away from the engine. It couldn't be simpler! And Steve, the designer/owner of the Kit, couldn't be more helpful in answering questions. He always responded to my emails within hours. Attached are a few photos of my install.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    gooberuge, looks great! very encouraging. think i'll reach out to steve in the very near future.

11. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    does anyone know is the vac normally on or off in the through the muffler position. If you interrupt it, give it vac or take the vac off without the computer doing it will it set a check engine light?

12. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    If all you do is disconnect or plug the vacuum line, then there is no problem with recording any kind of errors (Check Engine Light or Diagnostic Test Codes).

If you disconnect the electrical plug from the vacuum solenoid valve you will accomplish same thing as disconnecting the vacuum line. On the 360, this is not an issue and world will still turn. On the 430, this will generate a Diagnostic Test Code that will show up on the SD3 when the car is serviced. It should not generate a Check Engine Light though.

With the Forza exhaust bypass controller, a shunt circuit is included in the controller module so that when the vacuum solenoid valve is "disconnected" from the circuit, the shunt is engaged so that the vehicle computer still "sees" something, thinking it to be the vacuum solenoid valve so it will not generate a code on the 430 and later model cars.

Steve

13. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    Well, i too installed Steve's system just this past weekend. I removed panels and identified parts friday night after work. Last night i finished the install by installing cables and mounting the control module in the LHS rear compartment. I would say i spent from beginning to end about 2 hours. This was because i dropped a washer from a bolt and a clip from the LHS solenoid connector. That required me to remove the bottom diffuser to retrieve those bits! If that didn't happen, i think Dave's 90 minute is about right. This was my first mod to my F430 and it was not difficult at all. The hardest was trying to get the RHS and LHS panels back in place!!!

The exhaust valve bypass system works great! i had no idea the F430 stock exhaust sounded so nice at low RPM. I haven't had a chance to road test yet but boy oh boy! i can't wait til my day off! Ill post a followup once i get her on the road! Thank you steve for a wonderful product!

14. kzibby

kzibby Rookie

Feb 27, 2015
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Last weekend I installed Steve Bisel's (Forza Componenti) Exhaust Bypass Valve Controller using the remote controlled FOB. I must say I am very impresses with the quality of the components and the new sound of my F430. The install took less than 2 hours and with the exception of the getting to the right side solenoid, the install was very simple and strait forward. If you are interested in hearing that great Ferrari sound at low RPMs, you should spend a few hundred bucks on Steve's controller.

15. gaxford

gaxford Rookie

May 31, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Gordon Axford
    #15 gaxford, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Guys,

I installed Forza's bypass controller yesterday on my RHD 2003 360 Spider.

I spent about 3 hours because I am slow and spent 1.5 hours thinking about the mounting point. In the end I decided to cut an aluminum L-bracket to use as the base for mounting. I zip tied this to part of the 360 frame. I chose not to screw it in as I want to keep everything original if I decide to remove the exhaust control in the future. I then used the 3m mounting adhesive the Forza included in the kit to adhere the controller to the mount.

I initially tried to use a bolt on the bottom of the air intake box for the ground, but it did not work. In the end I found a bolt above the wheel well that worked. I've included a shot of this and the controller box mount in the photos.

Everything works great. Very happy with the result, and less than half the price of the Capristo remote box here in Australia.

Next step in the Capristo Twin Sound exhaust.

Thanks to Steve at Forza.

16. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Very pleased everything went well. Thanks for the write-up. Looks like a nice installation.

Regards,

Steve

17. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Just completed the install on my '00 360 Modena a couple weeks ago. Mounted the unit behind the left panel in the engine bay. Took longer to remove the panel than anything else. Love being able to open the valves on the Challenge exhaust whenever...wonderful sound, wonderful product! Thanks Steve!!

18. abedh

abedh Karting

May 12, 2013
    Woodinville
    Full Name:
    Abed Husseini
    I received and installed mine on Thursday. One of the easiest upgrades I have done on any car. It took less than two hours, that included me researching online and watching Steve's 360 video install (mine went on my '08 Scuderia). The actual install took all of 40 minutes, maybe less.
    Thanks to Steve for such a great product!
    The sound is awesome and the ability to turn it on and off is very useful.

19. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    I would like to install this on my 2011 California. If anyone on this board has done it, I would like to get detailed instructions. Thanks.

20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Great unit. I have one in my 458 and it makes a huge difference.

Note, however, that this is only for cars with exhaust valves. If your 360 has a Tubi, most do not have such valves and can't benefit from this mod.

21. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Just purchased and installed the kit. It really is well made and the package is very well thought out. Everything you need is in the kit from the super strong Velcro to the cable ties. The cables are of a very high quality as are the connectors. Shielding is excellent.

Installation took me about 90 mins. I removed both small panels and the right side larger panel behind which the controller was mounted. The right side is very straightforward. For the left side, I decided to go from underneath. I removed the rear tyre and panel. Unbolted the heat shield and then was able to see and install the connectors under the pump.

I used the Forza install videos on the internet and plus some of the guides on here and had a good idea of what to do.