How Many 612 OTO's Were Built? | FerrariChat

How Many 612 OTO's Were Built?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Nospinzone, Aug 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had wondered this since I've owned my car and guessed it was probably around 1300. Ferrari built about 3000 612's from mid-2004 until 2010. So at roughly 500 per year, from mid-2008 until 2010, that would be about 1250, plus the 60 Sessantas built in 2007.

Well yesterday I believe I found the answer. I was at Tutto Italiano at Larz Anderson Park in Brookline, MA. At one point a man approached me and asked if that was my 612. He began by telling me he was on the Bose team that designed and developed the Entertainment System for the car. He told me that they built 600 of the units for Ferrari. He made a point of saying that is all that were manufactured and supplied to Ferrari. So if Ferrari used them all, then 60 went into Sessantas and 540 into OTO's. Of course it could be possible Ferrari held a number of units in reserve, so there could be fewer than 540 OTO's built.

He told me they built another 1000 that went into Quattroportes. He said those were the only two cars that got those units.

Another little interesting story he told me was Bose used a Nissan 300ZX to test the system in. He said the company deemed it too expensive to acquire an actual 612. A couple Ferrari engineers came out during the evaluation and one of the engineers told him the system doesn't matter anyway. He told him only the engine and exhaust sound matters!

Obviously I don't have any written documentation of this, and I didn't even get the gentleman's name, but I have no reason to doubt him. We spoke for a while and he clearly had familiarity with the system and the development process. Bose is located not far away. He said he was not with Bose any longer, but went with a company that is working with the Bose active suspension system.

2. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    lol on the 300zx.

That's a pretty great way of figuring out numbers. A bit of reverse accounting. Nice.

FIN612 likes this.
  3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That's interesting information. I highly doubt that all of them when into cars, since they would definitely have held a few back as replacements, etc. Furthermore, the Bose unit went into some 2007 612s before the OTO production started.

I'm not surprised that the number of OTO 612s is pretty small. They were all built for a specific customer, and Ferrari was trying not to repeat the experience of the 456, where they pushed them on dealers in the last few years.

And, given the economic situation in 2008-10, it is even less surprising that few people were ordering super expensive 2+2 Ferraris...

4. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    This is an interesting thread because I've wondered myself how many OTOs were made. At present, autotrader only lists TWO for sale, telling me that they are near impossible to find. I have been corresponding with the Bose engineers since I added the iPod module to my vehicle. It still doesn't work though, as I need to get to a dealer to have the proxi file updated to recognize it. :( I wish you got his name though, as I would have loved to chat with him. I do have the info for the folks at Bose that have been helping me if anyone is interested.

5. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm potentially interested in removing my iPod module and replacing it with an aux in. Any suggestions? Is that straightforward?

6. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    From what I understand it can not be done. There is no aux in. I asked the Bose engineers when I was looking. Only option would be a commercial strength FM modulated Bluetooth adapter to do BT streaming. :(

7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    In theory, there are bluetooth adapters which will plug into the existing iPhone plug in the car.

I've only tried one, and it didn't work, but I think there are some which should work.

8. shmluisfc

shmluisfc Karting

May 31, 2012
    I have Bose in my 2005 gated 6spd 612!

9. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    That doesn't make sense, unless it was added to your 612 at a later date. The original radios were Becker units.

In mid 2007, they introduced the Bose entertainment system.

10. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    i wouldnt be surprised if fewer than 500 OTOs are sold, there are only TWO in my country.
    but it doesnt translate to higher prices or demand though,........ yet.

11. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Early 612 had Becker units but Bose speakers...

12. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Take it to an auction, preferably RM. I am sure they will find out the "low" numbers it has been built in and how desirable it is. $400K hammer price later another Ferrari model will turn into a garage queen. :)

13. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    There are approximately 50 OTO's in the USA

In 2010, there are only 9 or 10 cars

There is some information on the yearly production numbers on another thread of past, but those are the numbers I remember- and if you follow OTO's, they seem to make sense

If you have an OTO, hold onto it and treat it dearly- Prices seem to double those of standard 612's you'll notice if you follow the market. And my experience having had both is that the OTO is well worth the price of admission and hence the increased values.

If I can locate the post with the production figures, I'll post the link, but suffice to say the majority were '08 models with few '09's and '10's...

14. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I've searched but am unable to locate the thread with OTO production numbers by year that I had seen in the past.

I did locate a posting by Carbon on another thread that agrees with my memory of 612 OTO production numbers- I'm pasting herewith Carbon's post:

'I have at least 605 612s in the US, including Sessantas. I have 257 2005 612s; 140 2006 612s; approximately 70 2007 612s, about 100 2008 612s, about 23 2009 612s, and nine 2010 612s so far. I have 1,762 612s total. Please note, as mentioned, my information is incomplete."

Please remember that 2008 was the transitional year to OTO cars, so only part of production were OTO cars.

Also note that the economy was faltering and 612's were not Good sellers; therefore, 612's were only produced when ordered, not for production or inventory- hence the OTO designation.

There were few OTO cars made, but bear in mind that the OTO cars had the Superfast tranny in '08 and were the fastest shifting F car- 2 years before the 599.

These cars were continuation of the Sessanta which were pilot cars for the updated OTO cars, and the transmission and HGT concept were later translated to the 599HGTE cars.

Window stickers specifically named the model as OTO and so the OTO cars update the 612 same as 575's update 550's, 512TR's update Testarossas etc.

Unfortunately 612 sales were slow and the economy made them slower. So there are few cars out there, but I think down the road they will be moresought than they were when new.

15. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    So, your tracking nearly 1,800 of the 3,000+ 612s produced?

I've heard around 1,000 are in the US, but who knows.

Regardless, thanks for the info.

16. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    lately i been thinking about trading my OTO for an FF a lot.
    i buy my cars to really drive the behind out of them and with 16k miles on the clock its not considered a collectors candidate, and with the huge depreciation i really took buying new, its the only reason im holding on to it.

but lately im eyeing an 2013'FF with a couple thousand miles that i can trade in to and drive the zs!ht out of it in the next 5 years like i did my 612.

thinking my 612 will appreciate is wishful thinking, just like my 599 depreciated beyond recognition now, luckily i got out of my 599 in its first year.

i love my 612, even compared to the FF, but that enormous power advantage and new warranty and stuff makes the FF the only next best thing other than the 612, but the FF has to be used, otherwise, u'll take another huge hit! :(

17. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    here in the UK a OTO is becoming much more desireable than an FF...

18. PetrSmetala

PetrSmetala Rookie

Aug 7, 2023
    Full Name:
    Petr Smetala
    I just bought one OTO today at auction, originated from Kuwait and now in Europe. If anybody still tracks them I can provide info about mine :)

FIN612 likes this.
  19. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami

Congratulations! Enjoy in good health

20. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Post some pics if you can…..would love to see it.