Spare tire suggestions | FerrariChat

Spare tire suggestions

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by RichardAguinsky, Aug 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    I have a 1984 Mondial cab, US version.

It has 4 new rims and tires. But the spare is the original 31 year old metric tire which is cracking. The last two times I had to use it, I was worried it would burst on the way to the tire shop.

I would like to buy a regular, thin wheel with same diameter as the others, use only as a spare. By being thin, I would have room in the front compartment for the car cover, tools, etc.

There are threads talking about hub patterns, offset, etc, but no cross reference to similar vehicles. What vehicles have a similar wheel hub pattern? Volvo looks similar.

Again, only as a spare to drive a few miles to fix a flat.

2. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    If its night time you might be driving more than a few miles to get it fixed. Even in the daytime.

3. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    You need 5x108 pattern and 67mm hub diameter, as for a spare I would not worry too much about the offset, the tire is going to be thin anyway and you only plan using it to limp to the "fix a flat"
    A possibility is Volvo, the XC90 and earlier 40 series seem to have used some of the aforementioned dimensions, maybe with some machining the centerbore can be widened or have the bolt pattern drilled (in case of the earlier 40 series).

cheers

braq

4. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #4 2281GT, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #5 YELO T, Aug 13, 2015
    Ferrari replaced the conventional spare tire on the Mondial with flat fixer in a can. Personally, I like the added cargo space and reduced weight.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Don't tire shops hate that stuff?

I have seen signs in shops that say:

Flat repair $20

Flat repair if you used Fix a Flat $50

Don't know why, maybe the material inside the tire makes it more difficult to repair, balance or whatever.

Or maybe the shops hate the Fix a Flat for taking away some of their business.

Anyone know the risk/benefits of using this product for a temporary repair?
    Alden

7. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Spare Tire - - a tire in reserve, ready as needed.

Imagine - a beautiful blue sky day ....... many of your weekend car buddies are accompanying you on a "drive".

Pshhhhhh - baboomp - baboomp! What the F, was that???? Moments later, we are made aware of what that was.

Well baby, if that noise you heard was caused by anything other than a perfectly placed nail in the tread portion of your tire, your can of "stuff" in the boot, is just that - - "STUFF".

Stop with this "if no spare tire, it makes my car lighter". Yeah, the flat bed driver will love the fact that your car is lighter.

My take - - if you're on the track, you don't need the can. If you're on the road, you'll wish you had the tire.

You just can't make this stuff up, :):):)

Hank

8. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Lets not forget you will need a jack and tools to get the job done.

9. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I guess carrying a spare tire is a generational thing. My grandfather was always concerned that his spare tire was inflated correctly and the tools were easily accessible.

Nowadays, with cell phones, roadside assistance, tire inflator in a can and run-flat tires, there's really no need to risk your life by changing a tire on the side of a road. Ask any highway patrolman how many 'tire changers' they scrape off the road each year.

Even if your car comes with a spare tire, I would strongly recommend subscribing to AAA.

10. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

I think I have changed one flat tire in the past 40 yrs.

I had a few slow leaks... but never needed any roadside intervention.

Call me lucky, or chalk that up to improvements in tire technology. Either way I would still prefer a spare; I am the old school kind of guy.

11. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    That's the deal ......... a spare tire and a Premium AAA membership. They'll change it for you ! :)

Cheers, Hank

12. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
  13. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    #13 RichardAguinsky, Aug 15, 2015
    See picture below, which is why I am asking for a spare.

I haven't driven the car for a long time. Surgery for me, then bad starter, then bad ground disconnect switch, then bad battery and now this. The first day I take it to work, it has a flat. The tow truck put air and I made it to the tire repair shop. I did not even dare using the 31 year old metric, cracked tire.

The nail not only punctured the tire, the bent made it to the side wall; the side wall cannot be patched. The tire will be replaced under warranty, road hazard. They will also replace the other side.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login