Best Driving Roads near Chicago | FerrariChat

Best Driving Roads near Chicago

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by The Nutsack, Jul 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Chicago has to be one of the hardest places to find good driving roads. Let's share our collective knowledge and discuss our favorites. This has been previously discussed, but needs more attention. I've mapped out nice-looking routes on google maps only to find that they are not drivable in person...Give specific routes and details!

My criteria:
    1. Not too far from Chicago or suburbs. I'd say 3 hours max but obviously closer is better.
    2. Not crowded.
    3. Decent road quality.
    4. Twists and turns.
    5. High speed limits relative to the road.
    6. No speed traps!
    7. Scenic drives are nice, but I want roads that are about driving, not just scenery.

I just did a 7 hour drive going SW yesterday to Starved Rock, so I'll start with my observations from that drive.

The drive on Route 71 through the park itself is a very nice (scenic) drive. But way too crowded, lots of blind turns, etc. I started in Morris South of the Illinois River and went the whole way starting on Route 6 then 55 before turning onto 71 South of Ottawa. The drive TO Starved Rock was good, but I think I should have stayed North of the river on Route 6 until at least Marseilles. (Any input?)

2. tunlhd1

tunlhd1 Karting

Jul 12, 2008
    Chicago IL area
    Full Name:
    Mike
    One of the routes I take is Rand Road (12) to Bonner road, left on Bonner to 120, west on 120 until it turns into Charles road. Take that to 176, turn right and it takes you to 47. Take 47 north to WI 120 (right) to WI route 50 near Lake Geneva. Take 50 east to Route W turn right toward Wilmot. Take that to C and C east takes you to 294. I take 294 South back to Lake County

3. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I live around wilmot. There are some fantastic roads around there and south into northern illinois. I've been looking for people to meet up with and go for a drive. I'll post more details later.

Mike

4. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    I know some great routes out near Galena. Very little traffic, miles and miles of curvy roads and nice scenery. Better than anything else I've driven in Illinois. It's a haul to get out there but definitely worth it. Would love to get together with other owners for a cruise.

5. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Try the roads in and around Mt Horeb to New Glarus (WI). It's a bit further than the immediate Chicago area, although it still meets your 3 hour criteria.

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Road America.

:)

Matt

SCKOMS likes this.
  7. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    The driftless area of south west Wisconsin is worth a bit longer drive. Have a look at a map.

8. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    Planning a drive out to Galena with another 458 owner towards the end of the month. Anyone interested in joining?

9. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #9 The Nutsack, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    I've been wanting to run out to Galena too. Post the date you're considering when your plans firm up and perhaps I'll join.

I failed to mention in my initial post that I also checked out I-180 just East of Princeton, IL. This is probably the best road for driving fast that I have found thus far in IL. It's basically like a highway to nowhere. Very little traffic, 70-MPH speed limits, divided four-lane highway. The surface is far from perfect, but not bad either. If you're ever in the area I highly recommend checking it out.

10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^^^ I'm interested in the Galena drive

11. mobiledev22

mobiledev22 Karting

Feb 20, 2015
    Boston
    I'm interested in the Galena drive. Me and another GTS owner went there like 2 weeks ago. It was super fun. The highway was empty so...yea... lol

12. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Depending on dates etc, I'd be interested in the Galena drive as well.

13. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    #13 koop, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    Will send everyone a PM to coordinate dates!

14. tunlhd1

tunlhd1 Karting

Jul 12, 2008
    Chicago IL area
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm interested as well.

15. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Put me on the list too...or just post it.

16. ucla95

ucla95 Rookie

Jun 13, 2006
    +1 Galena list please

17. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    #17 koop, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    PMs sent.

Date is set for Saturday August 29th contingent on weather.

So far 7 confirmed. Will keep everyone updated via PM/email. Rather not post details publicly just to keep the group size manageable and exclusive to fchat members. Thanks!

18. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    Can the newbie that just bought his f430 on Thursday join in? I think I have foo fighters tickets that evening but would love to join an early drive.

19. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    Yes of course! Check PM

20. Fast mustang

Fast mustang Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    Island lake Il
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I'm in to on the galena drive

21. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    Galena drive is still on for this Saturday. Anyone else interested in joining?

22. mobiledev22

mobiledev22 Karting

Feb 20, 2015
    Boston
    Awesome.

How many cars are we expecting?

23. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    7 cars, but I'm guessing a few may drop out. Looks like a few passing showers in the morning around the chicago area, but the forecast for galena is sunny & clear all day.

24. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Any estimate on total mileage starting from the western suburbs?

25. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    roughly 300 miles round trip