1978 512BB Chassis 24881 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1978 512BB Chassis 24881

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by samsaprunoff, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what is if you like to sell the car for example in 5 years. what is this certificate worth then? meanwhile there could be changed a ot of things. or you like to renew this certificate every 2 or 3 years?
    as I have written already: a very expensive paper

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im not a fan of the certification because a correct car and a not-so-correct car can both be certified. So what exactly does the certificate tell a buyer? I thought it meant the car was as it came from the factory, as in still in the wrapper essentially.

I witnessed a classiche certified boxer (restored by a ferrari dealer) at a judged event leave without even placing. I couldnt believe how incorrect the car was and that the person presenting the car expected to leave with nothing less than 1st place. He left with a long face instead. Problem is the dealer restored it and basically marked their own test, they passed with flying colors of course until it was judged.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Yeah my eyes need new glasses. I'm seeing 15% not 1.5%. So they just make sure car is correct regarding how it left the factory. If ferderalized for US is that okay or does it have to be factory spec?

I hear about folks having it done, but fuzzy on what it truly accomplishes.

Regardless, this car is beautiful and I hope it sets a record.

4. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary

The RM entry quotes "...and several unique features mandated by French law at the time, including white turn signal lenses (rather than the usual amber) and octagonal wheel nuts (rather than three-ear knock-offs).".

Of course it is a minor detail, the French law at that time (late 70's) would have demanded yellow headlights (they are white on the car presented). It is only in year 1993 that white headlights were allowed on cars in France. There is a possibility the headlights are not the original ones.

5. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    Lot 228 RM auction sold for $425,000 bid, $467,500 with premium.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

getting close to $500k all in. these cars are making their mark!

7. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
  8. tsang85

tsang85 Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    Vancouver
    The 84 bbi at mecum did not sell today either. The bid is still ongoing online for $600k. Good example car at less than 1000km. I believe the seller wanted $650k minimum. Boxers definitely still on the rise at an impressive trajectory.

9. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    I believe there was a 1980 512 BB, chassis number 30931, with 16,000 miles at Gooding. Does anyone know the results on that car?

10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sells on Sunday.

11. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Absolutely beautiful. The blue is fantastic and interior looks great. Good luck with the sale.

12. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    1980 black 512 BB, chassis number 30931, with under 16,000 miles at Gooding auction just sold with a bid of $320,000.

13. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I looked it over for a short time today. Not a bad driver. But will need a major, engine detail, incorrect exhaust, and more to be right IMHO. Guessing $50-75k needed...but that is a just that.....a guess.

14. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    Would you consider the difference between the blue 1978 512 BB chassis number 24881 with just under 16,000 kms at RM and the black 1980 512 BB chassis number 30931 with just under 16,000 miles at Gooding to be $105,000 ( $425,000 to $320,000)?

15. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Agreed - at $352K with premium, you will be well over $400k to get the car right.

16. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    As far as the certification goes, and Paul can speak to this much better than I can, it is not just a piece of paper. It is a small book with many photos documenting the process. As I understand the process, the photos have to go back to Ferrari in Italy to get the final certification. If the certification happened 10 years ago a PPI could compare the certification photos with the car to ensure nothing had changed. Also as far as the certification is concerned it is certifying that the car is correct not up to concourse condition. The car could be a driver but a correct car and pass certification.

I sent my 512 BB in for certification last winter. The dealer did an initial inspection on the car. They kick it back because the car had BBi wheels instead of BB wheels. They said that the initial inspection showed the car to be very original but there was no sense in going any farther until I replaced the wheels. I plan to spend about $25,000 on the car in the next three years (including new wheels, which I have already purchased) and at that point the car should be a very nice driver, not a concourse car and it will have the classiche certification. This is more important to me than it is as a sales tool. I plan on keeping the car and passing it on to my children. In fact my son and my daughter's fiance are fighting over who get the 512 BB and who gets the 599. The loser will get the 599.

17. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    So is this car similar in condition to the BBi from Fantasy Junction, the one that they had to reduce the price due to its overall poor condition despite the initial low asking price.

18. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    Both cars have had recent major service. The fantasy junction car had 43,000 miles compared to the car sold at Gooding with under 16,000 miles. According to the description the car at fantasy junction sound a little rough (chipped windshield, chipped paint, and road rash on the front spoiler).

19. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Interesting that the car at Gooding had a recent major. The fuel lines were in need of replacement, plug wires seemed aged and some other components might should have been attended to during a major. Maybe a minor-major......lol? I do know the timing belts can be changed without removing the engine from the car. But not sure I would spend the $$ for a major without doing some of the basic things that the black car needed.

Maybe the word "recent" means within the last 10 or 15 years.

20. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Yes, recent could be a few years ago. I do know that the car from Fantasy Junction had a major service 8 years ago and not recently as may be stated by the seller (I had a copy of all the paperwork because I was interested in the car before it was sold to Fantasy Junction, also had them do a complete leak test also)

21. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    According to the description which states:

"Mr. Jorge owned the car until his passing in 2012, at which time the Boxer was purchased by the consignor. In its current ownership, this 512 has been used sparingly and treated to a major service at Independent Ferrari Service in South Easton, Massachusetts."

The description would seem to be saying that a major service was completed sometime after its purchase in 2012. I guess I would not take my 512 to Independent Ferrari Service in South Easton, Massachusetts for a major service.

22. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I believe IFS has a pretty sound reputation. I would have no problem sending my BB to them for work. I have seen BBs that were taken to IFS that were stellar. I would not place any blame on them. My guess is that the major services were limited to just was instructed by the current owner. I saw frayed fuel line cloth wraps and dated plug wires. The car may be functioning well. I just would have asked to have the "while you are at it" attention when the engine was out.....including an engine detail and compartment refinishing. The car looked nice and may be a good driver in original condition but not concourse ready. Just my opinion.....which is worth only that....2 cents or less.

I think someone will get a nice car if they made this acquisition. Like almost any older Ferrari the work never ends :)

23. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Ditto. Ifs knows boxers!!!!!

24. ferrariguyaf

ferrariguyaf Rookie

Jul 29, 2019
    This car, chassis 30931 has came back on the market. Can you please elaborate on these details and any other you remember?

Thx in advance

25. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    It was 4 years ago since I saw this BB before the auction. My comments were based on a cursory "no-touch" view of the engine compartment. I have had 2 BBs over the years so I do know the model fairly well. But sorry....I didn't spend much time inspecting nor inquiring about this car. If I were a potential bidder I might have remembered more but there were too many great cars for me to see in the short time I was there. Are you looking to acquire this BB? With the major was done in 2014-15 it won't be long before it's due again.