Monterey car auction extravaganza | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Monterey car auction extravaganza

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Timmmmmmmmmmy, Jul 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Timmmmmmmmmmmy for President! Great job - thanks.

2. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #277 Daytonafan, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    It is quite often possible to inspect and even test drive a car you're interested in at Bonhams auctions (and I assume RM and Goodings do the same). My Dad brought a Daytona Spyder (conv) through Bonhams a couple of years ago. Bonhams arranged for Dad and his mechanic to inspect the car a couple of weeks before the sale.

I'm pretty certain that all of the top dollar cars will have been inspected by the bidders (or their representatives) prior to any bidding.

3. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Bugatti type 38. For 264 k$
    250 Gte for 808 k$....:) Benny Bill Was here??
    Porsche 964 T for 275 k$...

Funny...

4. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    Point # 1 - Ditto benmou. Thank you to all (esp Timmmmmmmmmmy) who posted and gave their time and opinions. Point # 2 - Free market capitalism is what built this country. The good, the bad and the ugly of it. Like it or not it there are winners and there are losers.

5. Randy

Randy Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Randy
    maybe I missed it in all of these posts, but what did the 250 GT SWB California sell for?

6. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have seen and experienced the same thing with RM. At one of the previews I checked the chassis alignment of a car since it had an accident in the past. Not only did Rob Myers himself give us a hand, he also showed us photos of the damage before the repairs were made. It it very important to them that the customer is happy with their purchase. To get a test drive you typically have to make arrangements to do it a week or two prior to the sale.

Cheers Jim

7. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    all the hard data is interesting, but what does it mean ?
    has anyone compiled an opinion or consensus of direction of where these sales prices are going compared to prior values.

only caught part of the Sunday broadcast of Mecum Monterey, impression was they had a lot of NO Sales, comparing dollar volume posted here, they represented a smaller portion of sales than other auction houses... other than a few marque sales, another impression was the cars also may not have been the best for top dollar bidders

8. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    And thank you, Tim!

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Excellent points, especially #2.

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Sale pending=No Sale

11. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Timmmmmmmmmy, Thank you for your concise preview and timely summary of the Monterey weekend. I'm sure it was a lot of work to compile the information from all the different sources, I for one appreciate it.

Thanks!

12. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    $15.2 million hammer.

13. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Do we assume that at the Rick Cole sale,most lots did not reach the reserves. Maybe everyone had spent up ,and gone home ? ..There is a saying in UK......After the Lord
    Mayors show,comes the dustcart.!I just wonder if,even in Cal US, this kind of volume of sales is good for the market,swamping,overheating,deceiving,faking,or just providing a constant cash stream for the auction houses. In our small way,we have decided that there are much better ways to buy a classic,with the aid of experts/brokers/inspections/paperwork,and ,yes,you pay for advice,but you end up with the right result,at a sensible fee.

14. wahoo5

wahoo5 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    I searched a bunch of posts, but I didn't see the 1962 Ferrari 250GT SWB Speciale listed. Anyone know what it sold for? What an amazingly gorgeous car and a cool story. Some musician in LA daily drove it for 13 years and put over 100k miles on it. So much for delivery miles!

15. 85886

85886 Karting

Feb 22, 2012
    #290 85886, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    Many thanks to everyone who posted results! Special thanks to Tim!

Are you sure about the $ 1.25 M for the F40 at Rick Cole's? I made a screenshot reading $ 1.20 M together with auction closed (and reserve met).

16. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    Great work Tim thank you! Probably the best auction coverage on the planet...

17. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    You mean the gooding car? It went for $15m hammer, $16.5m all in

18. wahoo5

wahoo5 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    Yep. A little over the estimate. Thanks.

19. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I am doing that but some of the auction companies take a few days, others a couple of weeks to release the confirmed details. I have Mecum as selling just over 50% of automobile lots, the big are at 80 - 90% for a bit of perspective.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This is the Auction Thread, Mitchell, the photo threads are where the Car Guys are...

Did Napolis buy anything?
    Where is the "Napolis Spotters" thread??
    :D :D:D

I warned him to keep his hands in his pockets...don't even scratch his ear.....

21. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Liked the 956 a lot but it's not something that even I could use on the road occasionally so I passed.

Great car but a race/track car and these days I build my own Race Cars.

Great weekend. Nice seeing a number of you.

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I call it Auction Fatigue, I have seen it, at Keels and Wheels, the headline cars create a frenzy, and bring lots of bidding...

Three hours later, the oxygen in the room has been used up, and the later lots, at K&W it was American muscle cars, or Brass Era...they push them across the stage and if sold at all, don't even cover what it would cost to restore them....

Kind of a sad part of the day.

You would feel for the sellers, but they are usually equally greedy, and just had the bad luck of the high Lot number....

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Safe travels home!
    Glad you were listening in!

The 956 is a lot like the 288GTO.
    All dressed up and no place to go.
    More rare because of the import problems, when new, but all P cars look alike, to me.

J/K, even I would recognize the "specialness" of a 956!!

24. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #299 Napolis, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 956 I'm talking about is chassis 003 that won Le Mans and who's sister holds the all time Ring record.

0854 and I had a nice time at Quail. She's a honey.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    It was my pleasure to provide the information on this thread.

If anyone has enjoyed my auction coverage and wants a little more, I have written some value assessments for the big 8 cars that I expect will hit $10 million or more........ AND they make interesting reading even (especially?) post sale

Ferrari 250GT "Tour de France" Berlinetta
    Ferrari 250GT California
    Ferrari 250GT "Interim" Berlinetta
    Ferrari 250GT Short Wheelbase Berlinetta
    Ferrari 250LM
    Jaguar C-Type
    McLaren F1

I was really way too bullish on my idea of value for RM's SWB & TDF but otherwise ballpark.

Let me make it clear that I am not a high end dealer nor am I Marcel Massini but most of the information about these cars and what they are worth can be taken from public record if you have time, which I do. Each value assessment contains a model overview, potted history of the individual cars, sales over the last decade and discussion about the cars for offer over the next few days. They are Word documents up to 10 pages long, so will need to be emailed and if anyone would like to read one or all of them, flick me an email or PM me....

[email protected]

I am happy to send them to anyone and everyone that asks and I would only ask for a bit of feedback (good and bad) in return.

Cheers
    Tim