Dog nail trim | FerrariChat

Dog nail trim

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by bundas, Aug 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Mom has this evil 10 mix. I tried to trim it's nails last night but the H out of me. Called a vet an hour ago and bribed then $100 cash plus service. I caught the dog they could not😅. They brought it back. With my $100. Afraid of it😀. Next one one the way. Stay tuned.

2. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Second vet. Returned the dog😀😂. No trim this week

3. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    are you saying the dog is so scary they can't trim his nails?

4. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    We have a dog that goes nut when I try to trim his nails so I bought a 10 dollar muzzle at petco and when I put that on he just sits there and lets me do anything. Give it a try.

5. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    10 lb. dog. All mwimps. A collar cannot be put on this dog

6. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Try a blanket. Wrap it like a burrito. I use my Dremel tool with a 80 grit sanding wheel on my Labs. They dont like it but are compliant with a towel over their heads.

7. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    For the Dog!

Doggy Prozac does wonders for aggressive dogs. Takes a while to kick in - about 30 days.

sid

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #8 bundas, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    +1. Learned this from watching a groomer...just stay far enough away so you don't inhale the "nail" dust...

10. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    Dremel and a wood spoon dipped in Peanut Butter works like a charm My 100+ pound plus male and our female German Shepherds are fine with this, although truth is they let me use clippers on them. Just do it quickly so your own anxiety is not transmitted to the Dog. PS if your Dog bites your neighbor that is one thing but if he bites you he needs to spend quality time with a trainer. That crap ain't normal.

11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Sis took the little monster to a vet. It almost croaked. Better luck next time😄

12. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Little dogs are a pain in the ass. At least with a 113 pound Rottweiler, you can muzzle them pretty easily. I work on mine from puppyhood to adult, I handle their paws, so it becomes normal. I also train them to like the muzzle, easier to get on. All my dogs needed the muzzle at the vets! Four of them needed blood drawn, even with the muzzle took 4 people to hold them down. Nails are easy.

13. Johnny_Bluejeans

Jul 17, 2009
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Give the little fella some Benadryl to slow it down, clip its nails, and then call a Marine dog trainer. Send the little bastard to fight ISIS!

14. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    All have attitude problems. I guess they have to show some macho. The three big dogs I had went to a groom shop. Komondors. They all had attitude as well. But they were real guard dogs. I just had to know when and how to interact.

15. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Not nails, but did have a little hassle with my new puppy. He's now just a little over 4 months old now. He just had some shots at the vet. Vet found a hot spot on his belly (rash). Prescribed some cream. Pinning him down for treatments was a major pain in the ass, wiggled and screamed. Since he is small, kept wanting to be gentle with him. With big dogs you don't worry about hurting them as much. Small dog puppy VS big dog adult, I'd rather restrain the big dog.

16. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Our dog, all 150+ lbs of her, won't really let us trim her nails, but is a perfect angel for the vet. We bring her in, tell them we can't get her to cooperate. They bring her back three minutes later all trimmed up and looking happy.

They won't tell us the secret, we've tried all the obvious solutions.

Wanna really have fun? Trim your cat's nails. We have one who likes to tug at the furniture. If you clip the hooks off their nails, they can't snag anything and thus, stop the tugging crap. One cat purrs happily while we do it. The other one does his best to draw blood every time.

D

17. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    My cat curls up into a tiny ball when we do her nails. She hates it....but tolerates it without making it too much of a hassle.

My fiancé's cat requires both of us. She hisses, she scratches, she squirms..it is awful. If only she would realize that she is making it much harder and potentially painful for herself.