Apologies But 1st Time Ferrari Buyer (488 GTB) Needs Help! | FerrariChat

Apologies But 1st Time Ferrari Buyer (488 GTB) Needs Help!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Elegante, Aug 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Elegante

Elegante Rookie

Aug 18, 2015
    Dubai
    I have just discovered this website and after perusing numerous posts, I thought I would try to tap the "knowledge" here.

It's my first Ferrari and I am obviously very excited. I have only until Thursday to change my specs as I am expecting delivery in December/January. I would appreciate any recommendations on my options and more importantly my interior colour choice. I am torn between black and beige with full black dash. I was advised against beige due to wear/staining. Is that actually possible!?

Rosso Corsa
    Nero Interior
    Special Red Stitching
    Red Prancing Horse Headrest
    Daytona Seats with Red Inserts
    Red Seatbelts
    Yellow Break Callipers & Shields
    Matt Grigio Corsa Rims
    Floor Mats Logo
    Carbon Fibre Driver Zone
    Carbon Fibre Dash Inserts
    Carbon Fibre Sill Cover
    Premium HiFi
    SatNav
    Front/Rear Parking Cameras
    Rear Sensors
    Full Electric Seats
    AFS

Is anything essential missing or is anything just "not worth" it. And apologies for repeating myself, the difficulty of maintains beige vs black.

Any feedback would be most welcome.

Thank you so muc.

2. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My last 3 Ferraris have been beige. It's not a problem. I probably would not get black in a hot climate. I would do black or red calipers on a red car.

3. Cmazza

Cmazza Karting

Jul 13, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    In my opinion, I find the biege interior with red exterior a bit dated looking. I would go with Nero. As far as missing options, I would add cf central bridge since you went with cf dash inserts. What did you decide to do with the side skirts (same as body color, other color or cf).?Congrats on getting an allocation.

4. fpb

fpb Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    MI, Chicago
    +1 The yellow calipers will not look good.

Are you sure you want a front parking camera? And, virtually nobody agrees with me, but I would not order shields. Cars without them look much cleaner.

5. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    You'll find opinions vary quite a bit here. Personally I like beige just because black looks a bit too common and boring. Reminds me too much of porsche interiors. The beige feels more airy and also contrasts well with the carbon fiber and black dash. I don't have any issues with staining, but the beige tends to show dirt more easily. The leather does clean easily with a damp towel however.

If it was my car, I would remove the red inserts and red belts. I also like red calipers instead of yellow. Shields are a must for resale.

6. Elegante

Elegante Rookie

Aug 18, 2015
    Dubai
    Thank you for the quick responses. I did order the CF Central Bridge: good catch. And really appreciate the good wishes!

I am not sure how it is everywhere else but in Dubai the SatNav, Shields, CF Steering Wheel with LEDs, Front & Rear Cameras, Rear Sensors and Cruise Control are standard.

I am sure I will continue to agonise!

7. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    You may also want to consider a yellow tach

8. 2fastforu

2fastforu Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2006
    You're right, no one agrees with you on not ordering shields. You'll turn off prospective buyers when it's time to sale.

9. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Echoing much of the above, beige is fine. You may wish to look at Beige Tradizione which is somewhat darker than beige. I think both would be fine with Rosso Corsa. Yes, black or red calipers will work well. You really don't need a front camera but you do need a rear one. My taste would lead me to avoid red seatbelts as too much red inside. And yes do get the shields whether you like them or not.

Best of luck and enjoy your 488 when she comes.

10. 49erDynasty

49erDynasty Rookie

Mar 7, 2014
    Northern California
    I would not do a beige dash with a nero interior. If you were doing a beige interior however, a beige dash could be considered (but nero is perfectly acceptable in this setup).

+1 on the Yellow calipers. Too many colors going on here. I'd get red or black calipers.

IMO with your options a white tach would actually look better than yellow or red (the red tach is a different shade).

11. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    I agree :)
    I de-badge some of my cars all the way around

I'm not buying it for "the next guy", so I don't care

12. s20sc

s20sc Rookie

Aug 4, 2015
    I chose goldrake racing seats for my one, cause I tried it at the dealer, personally I found it more comfortable than standard seats, though it lacks electronic adjusting, but I'm the only driver, so I don't care. And the goldrake racing seats kinda reminds me of my old MY04 Subaru Impreza Sti back in college days.

And how much does the dealer charge you for the logo carpets? My dealer told me they are 2000 bucks, I mean seriously? I would pay for carbon fibres and other stuffs, but thousands of dollars for 2 carpets, they better made by Gucci.

13. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Congrats, you'll love the car!

I went through a similar experience last year with my California T and feel I specced my car somewhat similarly. Here are my two cents (disclaimer, this is all personal taste obviously):

- If you do Beige Traditional stay with a black dash and steering wheel... it helps with glare and continuity
    - I'd skip the red seat belts and Daytona inserts as to my eye that's too much going on since you went with red stitching (I did the same, but I did diamond stitched seats).
    - I'd go with red calipers as the yellow is actually a different yellow than the yellow that is used on the shields (this is what I've heard, I've never done the comparison myself). I also like the way the red looks better than the yellow.
    - I went with a yellow tach as it matched the yellow prancing horse on the steering wheel (white or black would be runner-up, not red)
    - Are you going with CF door sills to match everything else that you've optioned with CF?

14. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Congrats and a very nice spec. Having had fully electric seats in my 12 Italia and then racing seats in a Speciale and Speciale A, I would only consider racing seats for their look and added comfort. No parking cameras, AFS I thought went with front lifter...both of which are typically not needed. Color interior with Rosso Corsa, either cuio with black dash/carpets or nero. Shields on Fcars to me are a must have. Red calipers with grey rims looks nice but yellow is also popular.

15. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    ^^^ racing seats a must....and in black like you have spec'd
    Red stitching and horse on headrest

16. Mc11

Mc11 Karting

Jun 3, 2015
    Germany
    I agree. The standard seats in the 488 are a disaster. Racing seats must be.
    Urgent test the standard seats before you place your order !!!

17. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    And get the large race seats....they are not much bigger than small and will enhance resale.

18. Elegante

Elegante Rookie

Aug 18, 2015
    Dubai
    Got the yellow tach! Thanks

19. Elegante

Elegante Rookie

Aug 18, 2015
    Dubai
    Carpets over here are $1,199. If I switch to the beige I wouldn't get them but wanted the red to break up the black! You're right about being ripped off but everything seems to be an option and pricey at that!

20. Elegante

Elegante Rookie

Aug 18, 2015
    Dubai
    I had not thought of the red calipers and I will do the comparison with the yellow on the shields. I didn't go with the CF door sills. Was told to skip it as it gets kicked around. Have to be honest, I was happy to hear that as it was adding up!

21. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Just get some nice logo mats, save your carpet and $...easy to change the mats if you want a new color if you so choose or they wear out.

Best

22. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Request Michelin Pilot Super Sports tires. Much better than the Pirellis imvho.

23. Elegante

Elegante Rookie

Aug 18, 2015
    Dubai
    rockitman/Mc11,

I have gone for the regular daytona, full electric seats. I am 5ft 10" and was worried about my driving position (height). Also, I am pretty sure both my Uncle and partner will take it for a spin: He's my favorite relative and I don't want her to dump me!

However, I am concerned about the potential resale value aspect/trade in. Does it really have an effect on the price/attractiveness of the car? Is it considered a "must have?"

24. Elegante

Elegante Rookie

Aug 18, 2015
    Dubai
    Thank you. I wasn't asked this at the dealership. Had no idea you could request tires.

25. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    Race seats are not a "must" but I think they look so much better and fitting with the overall 458 design than the other seat options. I'm 5'11" and found them to be more comfortable and better positioned than the daytonas.