Rear Brake Calipers 400i 1982 | FerrariChat

Rear Brake Calipers 400i 1982

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Herbberb, Aug 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Herbberb

Herbberb Rookie

Aug 10, 2015
    Hi Chaps,
    My rear brake calipers are not working and are apparently beyond refurbishing (I shall be looking into this a little closer tomorrow when I get them back home). Assuming I need a new pair does anyone know of a good source as I'm struggling to find a set.

I had heard that they were shared with a BMW 1802/2002 and that Cardone remanufactured them and are referred to as 19-236?

Any extra information would be greatly appreciated as otherwise I'm a bit stuck!

Peter

2. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
  3. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Yes,you can use the BMW caliper. These are front brake ATE-calipers for the 1802/2002 series and will need to be spilt and the original spacer installed for clearing the thicker Ferrari-disc. Should be a straight forward job but keep in mind the O-rings.

Same goes for 19-568. Front ATE-caliper,4-piston 40mm for 1978 BMW 633CSi.

Quite a bit more reasonable than the OE-calipers ;-)

4. Herbberb

Herbberb Rookie

Aug 10, 2015
    Many thanks for the help!

5. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Brake calipers can be rebuilt. Pistons, o-rings and seals are available via BMW or even F-sources. If you are not into doing the work yourself, take the time to get the correct parts and any good brake shop can do it for you.
    Ken

6. Herbberb

Herbberb Rookie

Aug 10, 2015
    Got the calipers back and one is seriously cracked, and apparently junk, whilst the other is fine but with a frozen piston the refurbishers weren't inclined to remove.

The caliper which had the frozen piston has now been taken apart and is due to be refurbished whilst we look for a replacement other side.

I also had a set of front springs manufactured, to the exact Ferrari specifications, and have just received those, which frankly was very exciting.

A classic case of an MOT turning into a full brake and suspension rebuild.

The excitement of knowing what will crop up next is high..

7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #7 staatsof, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    I'm currently looking for a 19-568 & 19-569 (R&L) pair because I'm changing to thicker, ventilated rotors on another car but over here they are not so easy to find @ rebuilt prices.

The other option I have is to take the current BMW style ATE calipers and add the spacers, O-rings and a set of new longer assembly bolts. But I have no idea where to find the spacers and bolts?

The Ferrari parts place listed above wants $40 for the spacers and that's almost the cost for a completely rebuilt caliper so I'm hoping there are other suppliers?
    I've never had one of these calipers split apart but they bolts look a bit specialized as well? Certainly 10.9 stuff?

Anyone have any ideas on that?

Thanks.

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  9. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
  10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yes but for my non Ferrari purposes I already have the caliper WO any spacer, it's a BMW piece by ATE, on the car with solid rotors and the 19-568 & 569 (also BMW 81 528I and others ... ) are the same caliper W the spacer. It's $60 shipped each from Cardone (a rebuilder here) when you can find them. So that kit makes very little sense for my situation.

Now if the kit were $40 I might be temped. They are scarce at the moment because Cardone hasn't made a run of them lately.

11. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson