Speciale Sound Crisis | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Speciale Sound Crisis

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by clar, Oct 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Woppum

Woppum Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    I have had my pipes on - Novitec back box and Callisto 200 cell cats for just under 6k miles and 6 track days. Sounds miles better, totally transforms the car. I'd say 40% extra joy. Chris sorted my system, it sounds almost as good as my 599 GTO now... Almost... ;)

2. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Anyone else see the new Tubi exhaust for the Speciale at Concorso Italiano? Straight pipes! I'll post a picture later.

3. LABrit

LABrit Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Forgot to update this...capristo is AMAZING!

4. SamBoler

SamBoler Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    LA
    Heard in person the FI Ultimate Race with bypass pipes at the end of last week, the sound is intoxicating. The pitch sounds like a F1 car. The Speciale also got a tune from PP. There is a clip on instagram under PPPerformance_USA (I don't know how to share the link from my phone)

5. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
  6. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
  7. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I tried a few systems on my speciale as I dont trust stupid youtube vids. I want to hear it when I drive the car and not when I sit in front of the computer. The systems I dont use are for sale now. Already sold the capristo, novitec with valves and FI system, Novitec Inconel without valves is the only one left.

We did serious research, nothing stupid but maybe to much for you.... :)

8. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Here's the link

https://instagram.com/p/6sT7Mko4Zl/

It sounds almost too high pitched in the video. Hard to tell I guess from a video. But you say it sounded good in real life? I'm considering the Fi Ultimate Race exhaust (they discontinued their "Evolution" exhaust this week). I'm thinking of trying the Fi Ultimate Race exhaust with my OEM cats and if I'm not satisfied then I'll try replacing the OEM cats with Capristo 200 cell cats.

9. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
  10. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #260 Challenge64, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here it is - from Concorso Italiano
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
  12. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Chris aplos, I see you have done them just about all, which is your favourite of these systems that you have tried ?

13. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    #263 tekaefixe, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    Richard, Chris has tried all the exhausts to find the sound he likes and because of that many Speciale owners wont have to do it.

I think you should show the men a bit of respect and even a thank you would be in order, calling him stupid is out of order.

14. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well, Richard is not 100% wrong considering buying a 300K Car and then spend another xxx$$ just to make it better sounding is indeed somehow stupid :) please dont tell my wife!

everything below is my personal view:

Richard, good question, which one ist the best. to talk about Sound ist a little bit like about Colors. for everyone different. First time I heard the Speciale was in 2013 and I wasn't satisfied at all. Coming from F355 with Tubistyle, 360 CS followed by a pre-updated 458 Italia I found the Spec Sound not aggressive enough. So I spend HOURS on YouTube when the first Systems have been on the market but as said, YouTube Vids doesnt let you know how the car sounds if you are inside of it!

One side of the Story is to hear the car outside (driving behind them) or then drive the car by yourself. For me the most important fact is not the high rev sounding because usually you drive your car in the mid range, accelerate from 3-6, and you dont accelerate them all the time from 1500 - 9000. usually if you just drive around you stay 80% in mid range and this is the main Problem of the Speciale (in my eyes). if I drive it, sitting inside of the car and accelerate from 3K up, its not like a 355, 360 CS or Italia, it is like the car is ashamed to scream....

so I had to test them all (FI, Capristo and Novitec Steel with valves and Inconel without Valves).... (yes I act not very rational if it comes to cars...)

for me the best one is the FI System followed by the Capristo and the Novitec. FI because in the midrange better then all the others. High Rev difficult to say, I guess close between all of them. Novitec sounds good in low and high rev but in mid range there is a annoying drumming noise I didnt liked. but honestly NOT one of the System satisfied me 100% in the midrange and some of them are just way too loud to use them where we both live.

You are right Richard, driving a System without Valves is not possible anymore in Switzerland, its just too loud but we had to test it. This is the reason why I didnt sold this one quickly to another Speciale owner and so I did the advertisment here on FChat. In other countries it might be possible to drive around with that System. it is an amazing Piece, made of Inconel and very light. this is for me the System which is very close to a real racecar exhaust, very loud, made of race material like they use in Formula 1 and very light. and high rev Sound is just crazy... and low rev, well it bursts Windows...when you fire her up in an Underground Garage.

What I did at the end was quite uncommon, I went back to the stock System but I used the 100 Cell Cats from Capristo and we also installed remove valve controll. Yes my car isn't the loudest but considering the consequences we face in our Country it is a loud car and (almost) legal.

I'm anyway spoilt with my 458 GT2 which has the best Sound of all of my Cars :)
    here are two vids of my driving her in Spa this year.

The Exhaust On This Ferrari Is Just Way Too Loud ? CarBuzz

(from 0.40) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhyYtks8F_U

And: what I meant with saying its to much for you: you own a fantastic scuderia and you can keep the stock System, you dont need to consider any other exhaust for the Scuderia as its one of the last proper sounding f-cars. I never owned one but drove them often.
    Enjoy this great car, its a keeper!

15. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #265 RichardCH, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    Chris deepest respect for your endeavors and thanks for your comprehensive review, you might find these mini cats useful as they genuinely prevent a CEL. I am running them on my 100 Cell Inconel Cats on the SCUD. The Swiss vehicle metriculation guys can be very an*l, they made me take off my Fuchs end system from my 430 Spider despite me having a 5 page TuV certificate. Don't tell my wife either. I have the Fuchs system back on again of course, its all about ticking the boxes

16. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #266 RichardCH, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    It seems the speciale will never have the high pitched shriek of the Italia/Spider....and I am trying to understand why...Perhaps it has to do with the CF vs aluminum intake manifold ? The aluminum resonating at a higher frequency and is less damped than the special's CF manifold ? Just surmising.

18. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    I beg to differ (0:00 - 0:05 ;) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anZ1qyvbQKc

19. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
  20. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I am only trying to understand why stock vs stock, the S is a lower pitch. My theory is the different intake manifold material....aluminum vs CF. Metal will ring more and vibrate at a higher frequency than CF. CF is a More naturally damped material than aluminum. Just a theory.

21. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Probably same issue with 430 vs SCUD, as the SCUD has a shorter exit pipe after the muffler just like a Speciale, seems shorter pipe = less tonality

22. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I have OEM cats on my 430 Spider with Capristo headers (no pre cats just like a SCUD) and yet with the Fuchs/Novitec end pipe it howls like a Ducati ++

23. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I guess your beast sounds amazing?

24. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    It's not the CF plenum. The entire engine is different, the camshaft, intake ports, combustion chamber shape, intake / exhaust valve lift.. all combining to increase the compression ratio to 14:1

It's a completely different engine which is why it sounds different.

25. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I did not realize the engine differences were that dramatic...makes sense now.