Do you park and go eat? | FerrariChat

Do you park and go eat?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Patrnflyr, Aug 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patrnflyr

Patrnflyr Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    After the ice cream/Ferrari desecration video and the guy taking a rock to a Porsche, I've been wondering what people do when they want to take out their car for a date night or lunch? I know there's been posts before with valet talk, etc, but we don't have parking problems and need valets. After all, it is West Texas! Do people just go out and eat a normal lunch and forget about the car? I'm having problems driving my car anywhere except around town and back to the garage without stopping. Is that what most people do? I have an acquaintance who owns a 918 Hhbrid and he just takes it wherever he wants. I can't seem to do that...

2. TALON30

TALON30 Karting

Jan 8, 2010
    I always park out, but still where the car can be seen. Unless I can get a front spot.
    Never park close and take up two spaces.
    Most of the time people are always taking pics of the car, so I don't worry about it.
    I don't take it out at night, unless I can valet or see the car.

3. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Never valet your car. Ask to park it yourself in front and give them a 20 or whatever is appropriate.

4. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Park and forget it, if something happens that's what insurance is for.

5. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I've done it in the past with a group of people with ferraris.

6. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I agree you should park it on the street and not worry too much as it is only a car. However, if the car is damaged and insurance fixes it, having the incident/accident on your Carfax report will kill value and it's unlikely that any diminution of value claim you submit to your insurance co. will make up the difference. Ask me how I know.

Just something to keep in mind. Sad to say, but if my car's in a wreck, I hope it's totaled out. Give me a big check and I'll buy another one with a clean Carfax.

7. Dano360NC

Dano360NC Karting

Aug 11, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I park and go eat, but like others here, I try to sit where I can keep an eye on it.

8. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I "preview" the place with a DD. That means the access, the parking and the chance to also keep an eye on it, which is very rare! Then I return with the Ferrari another time if it meets muster. Sort of a hassle but I have found that the right parking structure can be key to many food choices and mix in a little walk to keep piece of mind.

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Google Maps and Street View are your friends!

10. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Life is too short to worry about such things. All I care is that the car is restored to previous condition, I couldn't care less about the next guy trying to buy it - I didn't buy it for him.

11. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I don't drive mine at night anymore. I quit a couple years ago. Too many bad situations. I UBer.

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I take my 430 to Whole Foods to go shopping. The biggest issue is people delaying you to talk or ask questions, etc. Most people appreciate seeing it out and driven. I'm sure it depends on the area, etc.

Downtown I have a garage, but I still take it out wherever. I just park in a good lot/spot or tip the valet and park it in front. I'm not a huge fan of the latter though because it tends to get everyone in the restaurant/place looking at the "Ferrari" guy coming in etc. which I don't care for personally.

On the other hand, I've seen BMWs keyed in certain parts of town, so it just depends. I would try to steer clear of places with late nights and drunk people walking by...

13. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Again, I agree that you should drive the car and not worry too much about it. It is good to be informed, however, of what can happen with Carfax reports. In my case, I could have saved myself about $15,000-$20,000 on resale if I would have just driven away from a minor incident caused by another driver instead of filing a police report. Life is short, but life is better with an extra $15-$20k in your pocket. ;)

14. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    I take mine out (date night's, sporting events etc.) all the time and never give it a second thought.

15. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    #15 DiabloTerr, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I've maintained relationships with the valets at a number of restaurants around town and they always let me park my car and will often move another car so I can have the better spot when I arrive.

I definitely tip, but not crazy... what's more important is spending a few minutes each time I arrive/leave to chat with the guys.

If we're having dinner somewhere where there's no valet or just "bad" parking, I'll drive one of my other cars as I don't want to deal with a door ding or worse.

At my normal places, I have no concerns because the cars are well watched.
    At the other places, I have no concerns because my car isn't there.

:D

17. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    park normally. don't take up too spaces. use common sense. park a little further if need be. life too short not to have fun.

18. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    Go to McDrive and eat in your car, problem solved :)

19. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #19 Michael B, Aug 25, 2015
    In many instances our cars have become "Point A to Point A" cars. Meaning that you leave for a drive ~ and come back to your departure point when done - without ever stopping.

Sad but true.

I do drive mine on occasion to dinner or over to friends places. But I do consider the parking situation before hand. I think like others said you just need to be aware, use your head & look for that end spot.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Yeah I park and eat IN THE CAR. Lol!

I park it where I can see it on questionable areas otherwise I'll just park it.

21. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I take my Italia almost anywhere, although not everyday. I always check out the places I want to go ahead of time to see what kind of parking they have. I tend to frequent the places with the best parking.

I've gone to some places that offer valet, and I when I pull up I just ask them if they have someplace I can park...they always let me park up front so I tip when I get out of the car. Never had a problem. Last time the valet complained when I left that I didn't stay long enough as the car was attracting a lot of people.

I take it to Target and even the pet store. I tend to park more in the open towards the end of the isles, and never have had a problem.

Only scare I really had was at a Potbellys once - I parked way away from all other cars, and a big SUV pulled up and parked next to me. I was looking out the window and saw the car door fly open without anyone one holding onto it and about a 5 year old kid jumped out. Luckily I was parked far enough from the line it didn't hit my car. I thought about saying something, but decided it wouldn't do any good. I was just pissed that there were 20 spaces closer to the door, yet he had to park right next to me and let the kid fly out of the back seat.

Stopped last Saturday with my girlfriend at a little ice cream / dairy drive in. We decided to go at the last second as we passed by so I stopped quick and downshifted quickly. All of the backfires and engine revs created a little attention, but no one seemed to care other then my girlfriend who felt embarrassed. We got out and everyone was respectful.

Over a year later no dings or marks.

22. tikitiki

tikitiki Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2014
    Windermere, Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I do at least once a week. That why I bought it. I park it up front and try to grab a nice table outside. Here in Orlando on my side of town it's no big deal. If I'm in the tourist area it gets a little nuts with people taking pics and surrounding the car.

23. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #23 Ingenere, Aug 25, 2015
    If you aren't going to use it as a car, what's the point?

Here she is waiting for me to return. It didn't melt. Wasn't abused or stolen. Hell, nobody could figure out how to start it, even if they had the key!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    I always scout out the places I'm going with my DD and never park the car out of my sight. It's easy to say "park it and forget it", but this car is my baby and there are a crazy jealous few that would love to find a car like this parked somewhere with no one watching.

Do what YOU feel comfortable, but for me it means being careful.