1985 400i Auto on eBay | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1985 400i Auto on eBay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Il Tifoso, Aug 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    That's it, thanks John, my 412 is now parked a couple of miles away from where I live so I wouldn't have replied any time soon...

2. Augie'sPal

Augie'sPal Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2009
    Washington state
    Full Name:
    Wil N. Stevenson
    #27 Augie'sPal, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    John, just what I needed, including the verbal description--thanks. Also, looking closer, one can see your actual chassis no. stamp in that picture, looks like.

Wil

3. Augie'sPal

Jun 23, 2009
    Washington state
    Full Name:
    Wil N. Stevenson
    #28 Augie'sPal, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The simple form of this question is: this car apparently has screwed up tags. What's going on? Again, this is the eBay car in question: Ferrari Other GT | eBay

For further brain twisting, read on. The frame stamp appears to be accurate, as it should. *ZFFEB06BC* 00052??? (is it 657?) to my eye (see photo); an Italy, Ferrari, Fuel-injected 400 V12, 3-point belts, 400i Auto, Euro LHD. Letters/digits 1 thru 8. After that, until we get to the 11th thru 17th digits (produced in Maranello, Italy and car Serial Number), I don't know what's going on. I.e., letters/digits 9 & 10, the 'Check Number', and YoM, or whatever they are, aren't making sense.

The engine bay tag appears to be in error, but looks authentic to my unschooled eye. The windscreen tag (that's the best photo he could take) agrees with the engine bay tag, but looks amateurishly done. Only letters/digits 8 & 9 of both tags disagree with the frame stamp.

The owner is trying to find out what's going on with the provenance of his car. He said: “VIN ZFFEB06C000052037 is clearly found on the two tags while VIN ZFFEB06BC00052037 or VIN ZFFEB06B000052037 is found on the frame as best that I can tell.
    I am hoping you can make sense of all this.
    Thank you again.”

I can make out the Euro LHD 'B' in the frame stamp (right after the '06'), and the 'C' after said 'B', then the star (photo). What's with letters/digits numbers 8, 9, & 10 on the engine bay and windscreen tags?

I hope I got this all right, it's twisting my brain, tired of it. Promised to help the guy, have a new-found respect for Marcel Massini.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Interesting!
    One question that comes to mind is whether it really is a "C" after "B" on the chassis stamp, or whether it is a "0" as it should be.
    I will try to contact Ferrari and ask for the original spec of 52037 but can't guarantee a response without promising $$ - but will try.
    What would also help would be to find the engine number, I have the engine numbers for #51775 and #52531 so have a good idea what it should be. There were only a dozen or so 400s produced within the serial number range 51775-52531.
    I know what you will ask next, but no I don't know where the engine number stamp is located unfortunately.
    David

5. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Try In the valley between the heads, towards the back of the motor, not near the oil filters.
    M

6. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The check digit and Year of manufacture is only found in certain markets, eg USA. The rest of the world uses '0". As this is a euro car, there should be no check digit or year of manufacture.

M

7. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Have been liaising with some experts, it's apparently not unheard of that the factory make mistakes, so it could be that the factory worker picked up a RHD VIN plate instead of LHD..
    I think the engine number should be somewhere close to 1190 (in the range of say 1180 -1210) at the end.

8. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm aware of at least one 90's era Ferrari where the factory used a Canadian steering column tag on a US car, where only the column tag failed to match the rest of the stamps, and where the correct VIN could be verified with the check digit (Canadian column number caused check digit error, US chassis and door plate had check digit that calculated correctly) so it's definitely happened in the past.

9. TheDevil

TheDevil Karting

Jul 14, 2014
    +1

On the frame I read the stamped VIN as: *ZFFEB06B0**00052037*.

So, the factory chassis-plate appears wrong, as is the windscreen-plate which was copied from the chassis-plate and not from the stamped VIN.

10. Augie'sPal

Jun 23, 2009
    Washington state
    Full Name:
    Wil N. Stevenson
    David, thanks for volunteering to do that. David & fellow F-Chatters, rather than relaying our speculation and advice to him, I will see if the owner is willing to start communicating directly with us, it would be much more efficient.

11. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    The Ferrari archives have confirmed that 52037 was originally black with black interior. It is marked as having been exported to the US. Engine number is 1192, in the range I suspected. So I think we can conclude that nothing is strange about this car, and that as speculated previously perhaps someone at the factory stamped a RHD market VIN plate by mistake.

David

12. Augie'sPal

Jun 23, 2009
    Washington state
    Full Name:
    Wil N. Stevenson
    So, both ID Plates for this car are incorrect, the frame stamp is correct. The owner has apparently broken contact or is away somewhere. I'll let him know.

His $25k no-reserve auction continues with no bids, 10hrs. left. If it's a no rust, good runner, would be a good 1st Ferrari for someone.

13. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Priced at the market top.

14. mikemain

mikemain Rookie

Mar 15, 2010
    Munich/Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael von Aretin
    I just bought this car. Goes to Germany. Will be restaured and showed to the F400club then.

15. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Congrats! Please share the restoration pics!

Cheers!

Ruben

16. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    #41 Part Time, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Welcome aboard, Michael.....and congratulations! The owners of 1985 model 400i's is a small group, 14 total production, 3 manual transmission and 11 automatics. There is a ton of information on these pages, read it all.......and enjoy your Ferrari !!

Gary

1985 400i a/t 12k miles