Which Tires? | FerrariChat

Which Tires?

Discussion in '360/430' started by bfox2718, Aug 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bfox2718

bfox2718 Rookie

Mar 22, 2015
    Just got a 360, and believe it or not, the prior owner(s) still had the original P Zero tires on it... they are clearly ready to be replaced... based on age and treads. I've skimmed over the threads and I am leaning towards the Michelins, but want to get everyone's feedback. I am mostly concerned about longevity. I dont race or track the car. And its home is one of the hottest, most humid places on earth... south Florida... Thanks!

2. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    I have a brand new set of Continental DW Extreme Contact 225/45 front and 285/40 rear. PM me if you are interested. They have a really soft ride and plenty of grip.

3. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I doubt the heat and humidity is a factor for tire longevity ... maybe the humidity might improve it a bit ... but at the end of the day you are probably not concerned if the tires should last more than 10 years. I expect mileage is key factor.

Since you do not track the car and you stated longevity (mileage) is the key factor, I would get a high performance tire with the best wear rating. I have always like Michelin and currently have their PSS tires on my 360. Excellent tire, but not the best wearing or the least costly. I had Bridgestones before and they had excellent handling but the tread life was very low. So far, the Michelins are really holding out well and I think they provide better handling than the Bridgestones.

So, my first choice for recommendation is Michelin. My second choice is Continental They have better tread wear rating than the Michelin tires and on Tire Rack they indicate higher user satisfaction with noise. The Michelin tires have better review for handling. But the Continentals cost about $150 less than the Michelin tires. I have friends with Contis and they are very satisfied. We had a BMW M Roadster a few years back and I ran Contis on that car and was very satisfied.

I don't like Pirelli tires as they have miserable tread life, they are expensive and do not handle as well as Michelin.

Steve

4. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    FWIW there is no standard thread wear rating and thus comparing ratings amongst different manufacturers is moot as they all come up with numbers based on different tests.

I have RE-11s and love them. Tires are the only thing keeping the car on the road so I don't compromise there.

5. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Not to rain on your parade ... RE-11's are great tires, However be aware they are rated "W" and so top speed of 168 MPH. In my humble opinion I think you compromised already. I know we are not going at these speeds but still, the car is capable to reach 186MPH...

6. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    LOL sorry but I'd rather have the best grip than a theoretical vMax I have no interest in pursuing. I don't think there's a track long enough to reach 180+ (spider here) in a 360.

7. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Agree !

8. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    For the characteristics you describe, Continental Extreme Contacts. Full disclosure, I run Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I dumped the Pirelli P Zeros for many if the reasons listed above.

Sent using mental telepathy

9. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I second MPSS, put them on my RS4, E55, and Scud... and like them. I never push these cars to the limit on the street, naturally, and don't take any of them to the track so absolute max traction isn't critical to me.

10. chefcore

chefcore Karting

May 8, 2014
    Virginia
    I run Michelins on all my cars. Great tires.

11. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
  12. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Me too..drive nice,good ride..reasonable price.
    Cheers,
    RE

13. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Same here. Have had them on for about 10k miles. Can't really see any issues with the tread at all. I've been happy with them so far.

14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

MPSS period.

15. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I'm curious to know what size MPSS you guys are running since they don't come in OEM sizes and I had to roll my front fenders to avoid rubbing with stock tires.

16. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Are you guys finding the Continental Extreme Contact DW in OEM 360 sizes? I can only find the DWS in stock 360 size. I'd probably get the Bridgestone RE-11 because I can't find either the Michelin PSS or Continental Extreme Contact DW in stock sizes.

17. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Food for thought... I think it all depends upon how you drive. I have some 2 year old P-Zeros on mine and I have about 6K miles on them with way more than 1/2 tread remaining. I am not a super aggressive driver but do exercise my car. I am religious about tire pressures so maybe that helps.

18. bfox2718

bfox2718 Rookie

Mar 22, 2015
    Thanks Guys... this community always seems to help provide the best information - and FAST! I'll probably go with the MPSS after all of the above, but wanted to propose one more question: Anyone recommend a specific tire shop for the install in South Florida? I've talked to a few different local mechanics who say they don't do it themselves, they take them "down the street" to a tire shop that has the "special machine." Any suggestions in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale would be great!

19. Quilty

Quilty Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I would go with Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

20. Transhuman

Transhuman Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    Cloverly
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Yeah I'd like to know the sizes of the MPSS tires and if you've had to roll fenders. I've already had to fix both of my front fender lips even with OEM size RE-11s.

I'd much prefer to run MPSS over RE-11.

21. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    very true, but if you have a serious accident and the insurance company find out the car is fitted with lower speed rated tyres than the manufacturer stipulates you could find your insurance is invalid.

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #22 Need4Spd, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015

Seems unlikely unless tire failure from running at sustained speeds over 168 mph was the cause.

I serious recommend staying with stock size tires if you drive hard at all or have bumps or dips in the road. The oversize tires on the front will hit the fender lips at the 12 o'clock position. Even stock size tires can hit unless the fenders are rolled.

The only ones that I'd choose that fit and grip well are the RE-11s. If they made MPSS in the right sizes, I'd go with those, but until they do, I'm sticking with the RE-11s. I'm on my second set and very happy with them. They grip well on the track and even when the roads are wet.

23. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    ...so does that mean 19 inch wheels are problematic on a 360?

24. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    No, as long as you stay close to the original diameter which is 25.7 inc and offset of the OEM

25. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I put F430 wheels on my 360. The size (19") and the offset work very nicely on the 360. Putting the same tires as if they were for the F430 will give you the diameter you need. This is a very common upgrade in the 360 community.

Steve