Help, 550 lack of power?! | FerrariChat

Help, 550 lack of power?!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by stephens, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    After re-fueling today, the car is running like it only has half power. It still revs out , is smooth and doesn't feel like it's missing or anything, but has the power of a Toyota Corrolla. Any suggestions?

2. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Update.
    I disconnected the battery, suspecting an electronic glitch. The power is now back, but the "Slow Down" light is flashing all the time.

3. Muta

Muta Rookie

Jan 18, 2004

Didn't that light mean exaust temperatures were too high?

And didn't someone set their car on fire ignoring it?

4. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    The warning is flashing from a cold start, so I don't think it is the exhaust.

5. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I did some research on the board. The car was not runing hot at the time, temperature was less than 80 degrees C (176 degrees F), but the power did come back after the car was left for an hour or so, even though the light was still flashing.
    Further update, I just took the car for another run tonight. The light was flashing for quite sometime, even during and after warm up, but after a few "performance" runs, the problem now seems to have cleared completely.
    Could this be due to bad fuel,? I refilled with 90 litres (115 litre capacity) and have now driven around 100kms since refuelling, so I am thinking that there was some bad fuel in the last tank.

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Sounds like either your motronic ECUs or Thermocouplers have gone bad or are faulty. I recently had a similar experience. It was nothing more than technical glitch, but there was an update to these parts in either 99 or 00, and you should make sure that your car has the new ones.

If it's anything else, I'd be surprised. The updates should be under a warranty, regardless.

--Dan

7. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Thanks Dan
    Spoke to a tech this morning, he suggested the same. I am taking it in tomoorw morning to have it checked out.

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Let me know the outcome. See if you can get detailed information.

--Dan

9. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    The left hand bank O2 sensor was faulty, tried cleaning, but it was too far gone. The left exhaust was reading 200ppm hydrocarbons compared to 45 on the right bank. It's running like a charm now.