Seeking Advice in buying a Mondial. | FerrariChat

Seeking Advice in buying a Mondial.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Crossworth, Jul 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crossworth

Crossworth Rookie

Jun 10, 2012
  2. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Advice #1... First, you have to ask yourself WHY do you want a Mondial...

WHY
    WHY
    WHY

???

3. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Buy one!!

4. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The Mondial QV is a great car for a lot of reasons, including:

It is a Ferrari,
    It sounds like a Ferrari,
    It drives like a Ferrari,
    It looks like a Ferrari,
    It is easy to DIY repairs,
    Most non-Ferrari people don't know, or care, that it is the least expensive Ferrari to buy,
    It had real rear seats,
    It has two air horns,
    The window glass says Ferrari,
    It has an engine oil temp gauge,
    It uses BMW and Mercedes Benz parts,
    It has A/C - sort of,
    Originally cost more than a 308/328,
    Coupe or convertible,
    Power brakes, no power steering,
    There are lots of wheels that interchange.

Especially, if it is your first Ferrari.

i don't own one right now, have only owned one, but I think they are a terrific car, and would buy another one for all of these reasons.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  6. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I don't like the air horns and think they suck. Or perhaps blow. However, I bought my Mondial simply to find out what the heck is this 'thing' with Ferraris? The Mondial was half the price of a two seater and was an easy choice. And a lucky choice. Seriously. It is elegant, roomy, and a very safe handling machine. I have never driven a two seater but my Mondial is the most forgiving car I have ever owned. And I should know because I am going on 12,000 miles of mountain driving and may soon be on my third set of new tires.

In addition, at least some ;) of these cars are no slugs. Don't get me started on why I think that but it is based on an actual timed 1/8 mile run in a 220 hp MAXX which did 70 mph. On my local uphill run the MAXX does about that but my Prugna Metallica coup does about 90. Its enough, anyway. I do not race Vettes or 911's of course..... right now I am waiting for my local wrench to finish up my last project car and replace the old CV joints.

However, you will have 'exotic car anxiety syndrome'. For instance, I scattered my clutch plate which is about the most serious thing that can be done without a trip to the F Shop. I took birdman's DIY print-outs to my local wrench and he had a fine old time dong it. He had fun and I paid local labor costs. Costs turned out to be about the same as my sister paid for the tranny in her 2009 Buick. He also asked if I wanted my belts changed. I just want the CV joints replaced!

If you are not the adventuresome type I would be cautious. These cars are getting old, have weak wiring and can develop oil leaks. For instance, my windshield wipers only work when its raining when the glass is slippery. The passenger window is dead but does not know it yet (there are emergency handles). If your starter goes click click click you might need a $25 intermediate low voltage relay or you might also need a $500 NAPA Bosche starter. All my serious leaks stopped with application of each of several kinds of stop leak which are still in there after several thousand miles.

So, you might ask: what did I find out about 'this Ferrari thing'? The thing is this thing is an adult E-Ticket Disneyland ride. And it will not kill you in a decreasing radius curve.
    It goes on and on.

PS: The 3.4 has a better engine but requires an engine out to replace a water pump. All the accessory drives are easy enough to fix on jack stands on the 3.2 and earlier. Mine is a 1986.

7. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Yes there are many reasons........For me #1 is LOOKS!!

8. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

And I think you are spot on. That's the best description of a Mondial that I've seen!!

Sid

9. Crossworth

Crossworth Rookie

Jun 10, 2012
    Sorry F-Chat Community

I started this thread, I mean to elaborate on my why I am seeking advice.
    I did not realized I the thread went through.
    Not can I edit my ORIGINAL THREAD.

Originally I wanted a 308 however my dream car is an F-40 which will remain a dream until I win the lottery.

About five year ago 308s in #2-3 condition could be found under $40k.
    I snoozed and the the prices are up.

I would like to keep my budget under $25K. It appears the Mondial seems to be the only candidate in that price. How I wish a I could a pre smog ( 1975 & older ) for that price.
    I live in Northern CA.

I have never owned a FERRARI before. I have driven a few, but not a Mondial.
    I have owned several air cooled 911s and a few 928s.
    I regret selling my 93 Porsche 928GTS 5spd, and I do plan on acquiring another one.
    I have rebuilt & modified engines, transmission, suspension on various cars in my 40+ yrs.
    My first car I tuned was an Espada.

I enjoy tinkering with cars. I even have acess to a lift.
    I figure I can get my hands on a budget Mondial enjoy it. Work my way into another Ferrari....perhaps a Maranello down the road.

I am not primarily after price appreciation.
    My thought would be the Mondials are done depreciating.
    I can work on it myself with the support of the F-Chat community of course.
    I cost of parts will still be expensive.

Another reason...

I want to tinker with F-cars. I figure as I approach retirement I could wrench on it to give me something to do. I already worked on air cooled 911s and American Muscle.

Not to worry...I do not plan on opening a shop....that can get complicated in CA.
    I would prefer it to be a hobby.

10. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I've wanted a Ferrari all my life. Originally wanted a 308 - however when those started to get expensive, I started looking at the Mondial.

I haven't regretted that decision at all. It's a great car. Drives wonderfully. Makes wonderful noise.

I get quite a lot of positive reaction. Every time I gas up, I get people wanting to talk about it.

I too wanted a car that I can work on. I too have a lift, and have experience in working on older cars. The Mondial is easy to work on. It's really not that much more sophisticated than any other car of it's period.

I paid $25K for my 85 QV Coupe in January of this year. My car isn't a show car. It's a nice 15footer. Since I bought her, I've put about 1K in repairs/parts into her. Mostly small stuff - fuel lines, oil, struts that hold up the hoods. The only major repair was the alternator. It was fairly easy to pull, and a local alternator/generator shop rebuilt it for $113.

The Mondial is my first Ferrari. And besides always wanting one, I wanted one that I could work on. Even with prior experience, I was a little intimidated when thinking of wrenching on a Ferrari. Turns out- I shouldn't have worried. It's pretty easy/doable. Also like you, I wanted something to enjoy in retirement when I get there in about 5 years.

This won't be my last Ferrari - However, I enjoy this Mondial so much, that I plan on keeping her, even if I get something else (I see a Testarossa in my future).

I think for your $25K budget you can get a really, really nice 8, a really nice QV, or maybe even a nice 3.2. Whichever you get, you'll have a blast.

Sid

11. sabertooth

sabertooth Rookie

Jan 29, 2015
    have to go with the cab...86 or later

12. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Jonathan

Im a bit concerned about this post to a Chatter that has only 5 posts????

I was confused about the original post but too, but the reply is a bit confusing , as I dont think that you were stating NOT to buy but I dunno.........

13. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Crossworth

If you were looking at 308 then a Mondial is for now the better price

14. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    If you are a Porsche guy you will be disappointed with

1. Power
    2. Fit and finish esp the interior
    3. Cost and availability of parts
    4. Reliability of electrics

However if you must have a Ferrari on a budget, it's the only option left.

15. Crossworth

Crossworth Rookie

Jun 10, 2012
  16. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    I disagree I had a 1980 911 and I like the Mondial much better!

my 911 actually had the dreaded fusebox fire

17. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

Even though there are very few white ones, it doesn't make them anymore desirable than the red ones, and certainly won't sell for anymore. This market is driven mostly by condition, condition, and condition.
    That red one at Beverly Hills Car club looks nice, but they usually sell cars that need a lot of work, so I would inquire if they have any service records with it. If they do, the price is about right. With no service history you are taking a big chance unless that is factored into the price. I strongly recommend you buy from a Ferrari guy like us, that way you know what you are getting into. I've bought and sold quite a few of my Mondials on this forum and it has been great, with very little worry.

18. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

I thought the advice we can give depends a lot on WHY he wants a Mondial...

For example, if he wants a project, then people might steer him toward a Mondial 8 or a Mondial QV.

If he wants an investment that will double the money in a year... oh well... there are lots of opinion on that. Bring them on. :)

Maybe he wants a Mondial because it is cheap, then... mmm...

There are thousands of reasons, and thousands of possible advice. :)>

19. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    I really enjoy my Mondial T. It's a. Great car.
    You buy a Ferrari for what it is......its culture, its roots in Formula 1 and its style.
    The Mondial is quickly gaining some cult following, thanks to the great group of caretakers here. Make the leap, but get the best example you can afford and leave room for repairs and upkeep.
    Good luck.

Lino

20. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    @crossworth
    you mentioned the 928, and you having liked it > I say thumbs up for the Mondial.
    To me the Mondial is a GT, best enjoyed for long(er) road trips and you arrive happy, relaxed and in style (the capacity to bring stuff along probably is still more in a 928 ;-)

cheers

braq

21. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    Just purchased my second Mondial! Already own an '85 QV cabriolet that my wife thought she couldn't drive because it didn't have power steering. Second Mondial is an '89 T coupe. Always wanted a coupe and now the wife is looking forward to her arrival. The sacrifices that we make for women! If you find the right Mondial.....BUY IT......you'll wonder why you waited so long......

22. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    Simply because it is the Enzo Ferrari philosophy applied to the extreme:

even if it is a four seater, it has a rear midengine sportscar layout.

Only one* carmaker has the guts to go this far today: Lotus

with the Evora.

So, the Ferrari Mondial is truly a unique car, and will be recognized at its real value one day.

*not totally sure but it looks like it!

23. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    I believe the Mondial was the last ever 4 seater mid engine convertible (although I could be wrong)...makes it kind of special, doesn't it.

24. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Nice! When are you getting it?

25. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    IMHO the Mondial is a no brainer. More elegant then the over achiever looking two seater, much more room, same mechanicals and half the price. I would be cautious about the 't' however. It has a better engine but needs engine out for a water pump.

I have put about 12,000 miles on mine in the last couple of years. It has been drop dead reliable until the CV joint boots opened up. One of the CV joints actually is making noise so I have scheduled replacement for all four of them. Any good wrench can replace them. So the car is simply waiting for my other project car to be finished. I miss Contessa Prugna Metalica!