Vintage watches - what brands to consider? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Vintage watches - what brands to consider?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by walnut, Jan 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Agreed that the shared movements is better for parts availability.

The very earliest Navitimers used the Valjoux 72. From the late 50's on, most had the Venus 178 until they went back to Valjoux and the 7740. I think the more modern watches have in house calibre movements.

The Valjoux 72 preceded the Zenith movements in the Daytona. The El Primero movement wasn't used until the late 80's.

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks for thinking of me. :)

I have decided against buying a 57 Sub as I don't want any reliability issues with this watch as my Father In-law lives nowhere near a repair agent for these watches.

We will buy him a new one, that way he hopefully gets many years of trouble free watch wearing. :D

I would hate to think a present we buy him spends more time getting repaired than actually on his wrist. It will be worn all day, everyday.

I could be thinking the worst of course, but if we had a repairer in town then it wouldn't be so bad.

Sending $15K+ watches through the post does not excite me in the least as Australia Post just lost a $99 item of mine two weeks ago and they do not want to accept responsibility.

Imagine losing a $15K watch........

Thanks again buddy. :)

3. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

I'm gaga over used Sea Dwellers from about 10 years ago.
    Keep putting it off. They go for $4 to $5 K (?)
    IMO these are not going to depreciate like a new one yet have all the heft and durability, and you can still wear them without being paranoid of scratching it.

4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Cool info.

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I don't what they sell for, but it sounds good.

I think Subs sell for around $10K here, so it's not really that bad.

6. Jmas

Jmas Rookie

Jun 27, 2015
    LeCoultre and Omega made some beautiful pieces in that time period imo, I would definitely check them out.

7. RossoNero

RossoNero Karting

Sep 7, 2012
    JHB, South Africa
    Full Name:
    Henry