Best Driving Roads near Chicago | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best Driving Roads near Chicago

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by The Nutsack, Jul 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks....very tempting, but I don't think I can make it this trip. I'll aim to make the next one though. I would love to join someone on a drive sometime.

2. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Reschedule date?

3. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    #29 koop, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    Since the weather did not cooperate last weekend, we are rescheduling the Galena drive for Saturday October 3rd. It will be nice to go at this time of the year to take advantage of the cooler temperatures and fall colors. If weather does not work out on that Sat, the backup date will be Sunday Oct 4th. We will be meeting early in the morning and will plan to be back in the chicago area by early afternoon.

Please PM me if you are interested in joining and I will send more details. Include your name, phone, email so I can contact you if anything changes.

4. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    D'oh! Will be sitting on a beach earning 20% that weekend

5. cabbott2

cabbott2 Karting

Oct 27, 2014
    chicago/ Iowa
    I may try to bring my 308QV if it stays Oct 3. Amazingly fun road to drive!

6. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    We are still on for Oct 3

7. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Had a chance to run route 2 from Rockford all the way down to Dixon yesterday. Great road - beautiful this time of year with the leaves changing and views of the river the whole way down. Great road surface with lots of smooth twists and turns. Highly recommended if you haven't done it. The only negative is that this road is somewhat crowded with lots of trucks. Makes it a bit stressful.

Just before Dixon, I turned East on Lost Nation Road and followed that up North to River road just south of Byron then 72 back east. Roads were excellent the whole journey. Weather was beautiful.

Also tried the drive from New Glarus to Mr. Horeb last weekend, but didn't really have enough time to explore the area. I liked that it was remote and not highly trafficked. Some of the roads were good but other were pretty bad. I need to take more time up there.

8. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Anyone gone to Castle Rock State Park? Debating driving out there or Starved Rock from downtown Chicago tomorrow morning. Welcome to have anyone join us as well.

9. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My drive down Route 2 yesterday went right through Castle Rock and it was great. Not very long, but if you do it definitely take Route 2 all the way down or up.

I found Starved Rock to be slow, scenic and crowded. Not really a run drive by my definition. But I did manage to find some nice roads on the way there.

If you made the run today, please post your thoughts on either.

10. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    #36 Townshend, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. NexLevel

NexLevel Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Greg Thomas
    bumping up a 3 year old thread :)

So did everyone end up going to Galena? 2.5 hours away from where I am, is it worth it? Any where closer to chicago that is suitable?