Mondial T Radiator fans not turning | FerrariChat

Mondial T Radiator fans not turning

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stekkefun4, Sep 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I've got a T of 1992 and yesterday, I noticed that when she's running at idle for more than 10 minutes and coolant temp is rising, white smoke comes out of the radiator. On top of that: both fans are not running!

Usually, they should start running after some minutes at idle, but they're just playing dead.

So, I hooked them up to an external battery and they started running normally... For some reason they do not get power when hooked up to the car. I checked fuses and relais, no problem. I searched older posts but so far, nothing.

Thanks,
    Stefan

2. Stef65

Stef65 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    reg Antwerp Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Stefan,

I had the same issue with my T of 1990 (coming back from the C&C Ferrari day in Peer early Aug).
    A few checks you can easily do : Just pull the two leads off the thermostat switch at the bottom corner of the radiator. connect them together, turn on the ignition. BOTH fans should come on. If not, it is probably a problem of a fuse or a relay. It is not the fan since they run connected directly to 12V.
    If they come on with the wires connected but not when the car is hot, your switch in the radiator is bad. : Two options a) replace it with an expensive part from Ferrari, or b) get a 180° switch (a bit cooler and better).
    My problem was both relais, I replaced them with BOSCH (don't have the part nr by hand, but if needed, send me a PM, total cost less then €20)
    Second thing you can check is to make sure your system is bled completely and check your expansion tank cap is in good condition.

Success
    Stef.

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Hey,

I connected the two points together on that difficult to access connector at the bottom of the radiator, switched on the ignition and indeed, they started running. So, the switch in the radiator is bad. Any generic parts for doing that?

4. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Any thermo switch will do the job .Just unscrew it and take it to your parts supplier.
    Match your switching temp or as suggested bring it in earlier and your away
    Peter

5. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK

Its also a good idea to place a manual overide switch somewhere in the cabin - for piece of mind when stuck in traffic and for bringing the fans in earlier if needed .. i have done this on numerous older vehicles and intend to do it to my project QV .

6. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    That's a very good idea if my Mondial was a daily runner, but chances are very slim I'll ever find myself in a traffic jam :) Although Belgium is the traffic jam paradise by far!

7. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Just keep the wires shorted together until you replace the switch , it wont hurt anything as the circuit is designed for 100% duty cycle

8. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #8 stekkefun4, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #9 stekkefun4, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Installed the switch today in the radiator. Keep in mind that when you remove the old one, about 2 liters of coolant squirts out of the opening! So, installed the new one and made sure the coolant was topped at the right level, started the engine and 10 minutes later when the temp was at 90 degrees C , the fans started working!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
  11. Stef65

Stef65 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    reg Antwerp Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stef