365 GT 2+2 self leveling suspension options? | FerrariChat

365 GT 2+2 self leveling suspension options?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by crazycars, Jul 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crazycars

crazycars Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2012
    My car is sitting low in the water in the rear and it appears that the rear self leveling shocks have failed. Koni does not sell them new or rebuild them but rather referred me to Rutlands for a coil-over set-up that Koni appears to make and sell through Rutlands. I would prefer something either automatically adjustable or even manually adjustable. Does anyone know of for example, an air shock system that will bolt-into the 365 GT 2+2?

The forum has several references to other cars but not the GT 2+2.

Thanks

Joe

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I moved the thread to the proper subforum for questions/discussion on the 365 GT 2+2 so that you'll draw an appropriate response. If you meant "365 GT4 2+2" instead, then let me know and I'll move it back to that subforum.

3. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    The original self levellers can be rebuilt. Cutom seals, original decals, bushings etc are all available.
    The self levellers were used on Queens, C4s and 365GT4 2+2, as well as 400s. They are all virtually
    the same leveller with only minor internal differences.
    PM me if you want details.
    John

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Who is rebuilding them these days, and are the rebuilt ones holding up?

5. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I did mine 7 or 8 years ago on a C4 and they are fine with plenty of driving on rough roads. I made all new
    internal seals without any modifications. They are a PITA to work on but pm me if you are
    interested in the details.

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I had Jeff LeBlond in PHX rebuild all 4 of the shocks/levelers for the back of my 365 GT4 2+2. They look good but I haven't installed them yet. He sent pictures of the disassembled units and work in progress. He also installed a shrader valve on the levelers so the pressure can be adjusted if need be.

7. shoreorthopod

shoreorthopod Karting

Oct 14, 2012
    I believe Gabriel and Monroe sell air shocks with a valve that can be installed in the trunk to adjust air pressure to alter ride height.

8. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Several years ago, while John (posts 3 and 5) was rebuilding my Konis, I installed a set of Monroe "Air Max" shocks in place of the leveler Konis. Running the air lines was simple, and I drilled one hole in one of the diagonal braces that surround the spare tire to place the air valve. I always travelled with a small Campbell/Hausfield compressor; just inflate to the desired height. I think it was a $70 investment. When I got the rebuilt units back from John, I kept them boxed and sold them with the car a couple of years later.

9. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The Koni replacement kit works very well. the car handles great with it and you never have to worry about the load levelers leaking again. I have installed three sets of them and they make the car handle much better than stock. The spring perches on the Koni kit are threaded so you can adjust the ride height. In addition to Rutlands they are also available here: Ferrari 365 GTC4, GT4 2 +2 - Rear Coilover Kit
    The only reason to rebuild the originals is if you have a 100 point car that you want to show.

10. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    I installed a set of these coil overs on my 365 GT 2+2 and was very happy with the result.

11. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Need updated source for replacement/rebuild options for 69 365 GT 2+2 Queen Mother rear air suspension.

Anyone done this themselves?

Any reference material, such as work shop manuals, video, photos out there?

Would like to make this a weekend project, however knowing my luck it will end up taking every weekend for the rest of my life! ;)

Thank you!

CT

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    So has anyone on here actually used the rebuilt units, from either John or Jeff LeBlond? Are they still working correctly?

13. SteviePPS

SteviePPS Karting

May 11, 2013
    EU
    Full Name:
    Steve Warson
    It's not air suspension. It's a Koni "loadadjuster" that uses its own pumping motion to lift the car to a preset level. There's nothing electronic or pneumatic, it's 100% hydraulic.

There are a few ex-Koni staff members here in Holland rebuilding them successfully. They do international mail order but it takes a few days with painting etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    They are pressurized with nitrogen to a fairly high pressure. When the charge leaks out, that is when the rear of the car drops low.

15. Dbone

Dbone Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2005
    Malibu
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I sent you a PM

16. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Anyone have a part number and source for the Koni replacement?

17. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    PM me if you want to know about mine.

18. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Just as I suggested to the Dr. When I inspected the car. It's not Rocket Science let the best old Ferrari mechanic in Southern California ( woodland hills) do it correctly the first time.
    Ps to everyone this is a great car to restore easily.

19. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Just to give everyone an idea of the cost Eric said normal conversion should cost about
    $ 1800.00.at Auto Gallery
    Having owned 2 365GT 2+2s one with the factory load levelers and one with the shock conversion I feel the conversion results in a better handling car.

20. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Hi all, does anyone have contact info for any of the people who are rebuilding the original self-levelling units?

-Ed

21. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    pm sent

WM

22. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Would love to know also..
    Thank you...

23. Dbone

Dbone Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2005
    Malibu
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mike
    Pm sent. I'm the Black c4 in malibu

24. 250Times

250Times Rookie

Jul 31, 2014
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Assyl Yacine
    @torquespeak

I recommend getting in touch with Redparts. They source all our Ferrari parts and consult too. E-mail address below.

We have the same 365 2+2 issue, and he offered to have them rebuilt

[email protected]

25. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I ended up getting the coilovers to replace the failed rebuilt load levelers. Should have done this the first time. Car drives better than it ever has.