FGT vs Murcie (manual) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FGT vs Murcie (manual)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by plastique999, Aug 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yes. Not aware of any count. The bulk of the cost comes from the ECU's IIRC. Theoretically you could pull much of the hardware from a wrecked car.

2. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Is that true? I heard the Murcis are pretty rock solid, especially manual transmission

3. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    There are 28 of them in the US and 2 were totaled.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #29 Bas, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    I'm aware of one owner in the UK who did it. IIRC he bought a second hand gearbox on Ebay. He did the whole thing himself, in the underground carpark underneath his apartment, in the space of a weekend! Cost him less than £5000 I think.

Roy Cats priced it up at some point in the last 2 years but never went through it, I think it was because he bought a 2nd manual LP670 (at the time he owned 30% of manual gearbox SV's in the States :D).

Several people have done it on their Gallardo's (obviously a different gearbox) and it all seems very straight forward.

FWIW, with how the market is, I wouldn't wait for a true manual to become available. I'm certain it will be a silly number. With all factory parts, no one will know the difference between the e-gear and 6 speed from looks and feel, only when they look at the original build sheet. Document the whole thing and whilst it comes to selling it will fetch a bit less than a real manual, it'll be more than the E-gears. In any case it's completely reversible so it's really a ''for you'' modification. Cost a few bucks but worth it IMO. The Murcielago suits a manual so well.

5. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    They are rather solid. Doesn't mean their upkeep is cheap.

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I think there are 8 of them in manual. But just like you said..IT IS the pinacle.

7. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    All of this. While the Lambo doesn't have much go wrong, parts are still 75%+ more expensive than the Ford counterparts. If you're having the dealer do work, think of the Lambo hourly rate vs. Ford hourly rate.

8. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    They only made 4 white with out side and roof stripes. I think that's timeless.

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Wondering if the LP650 will hold value....

Sent from my 16M

10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Well the manual LP640's are asking crazy prices at over $100k vs their E gear model. That's insane!
    I will likely settle for E gear....

Sent from my 16M

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Just convert to manual...

12. tiggs

tiggs Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    Was underwhelmed with a Murci and was easy to choose the FGT over it. Had a tougher choice between it and the CGT back when prices were closer. Plenty of room in a FGT and I'm tall being over 6'. May want to consider a 6speed Gallardo as well. Drove a late model 6speed Superleggera and liked it more than the Murci. An anniversary edition Gallardo should hold its value well and all US ones are manual. Maintenance is dirt cheap on the FGT comparatively so far.

13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ive had a few of each... and I FEEL... like the FGT will actually last. The LP and Murci in general always felt like they were in a constant state of breaking. Everything feels so fragile to me.

14. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Who's doing the conversions?
    I read of one guy doing it at home and Covert doing 6 speed to egear.

15. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I think most the cost comes from the controllers and dash; if you source from a salvage it may be rather inexpensive?

16. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Off the top of my head:
    Shifter tower
    Shifter linkage
    Manual pedals
    Manual clutch pedal hydraulics
    Manual clutch mechanical parts (trans side)
    Clutch/Brake fluid reservoir (egear/man the same??)
    Disconnect egear computer
    Remove egear components (requires engine out)

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Well, I've been on the hunt for a Murcie for the past month and it's been an arduous task. I was close to pulling the trigger on 3 cars but all fell through with storied cars and indecisive owners. Seems quite difficult to find a clean LP640.

Sent from my 16M

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Try and contact Roy Catts...Maybe he knows of a few cars ''off the market'' for sale.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I say go for an FGT instead. I starting thinking about this particular one again and love it: Heffner Twin-Turbo Ford GT on HRE Wheels - Motorward

20. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    This quote had me wondering how small a fuel tank the FGT must have???

"In about 7 seconds the car has gone past 100 mph, on its way to reach 180 mph in about 18 seconds. In doing so the GT has gone through almost half a tank. It is that thirsty."

21. FLGT

FLGT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 16, 2008
    IMHO, Ford GT is a far better car in many ways. Car is faster (or easily made to be), more reliable, more timeless in design, easily modded, less expensive to maintain, has a great owners forum, and will likely hold its value far better if you get the right one.

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Finally found a 2009 white LP640 roadster, red interior. Looking forward to a bull joining the horse. Will post pics on delivery.

Sent from my 16M

23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my 16M

24. GTO288

GTO288 Rookie

Feb 1, 2013
    The red interior looks sick with the white paint! Congrats.