I can't believe there's a Ferrari in my garage! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I can't believe there's a Ferrari in my garage!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Krummudgen, Sep 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Congradulations on the Ferrari.

I remember the first time I walked out into our garage and saw the 1987 Mondila I bought. I waited over 50 years to get it, but it was worth it. For months I had the same feeling, Damn I own a Ferrari, a red Ferrari, and I can get into and drive it any time I want.

Things are different these days. Now I walk out into the garage and on the right is the 87 Mondial, and on the left is a 2001 360 Modena. Never in mind did I ever think I would own two Ferrari's.

But the days of owning two are soon to be over. Someone has put a deposit down on the Mondial and once the major is done on it, it goes to a new home in LA.

But I don't think it really matters which model you own the feeling is always the same. Especially when you are driving and you look down at that yellow disc on the steering wheel with the black horse on it.

Happy driving.

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    this post put a huge smile on my face...welcome to the club!!!

Look forward to hearing your comments/thoughts in the coming days...

3. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  4. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Nice!! Perfect 1st Ferrari. Congrats!

5. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Congrats Andy! She's a beauty.

6. Karsya Eins

Karsya Eins Karting

Jun 17, 2014
    Albany, NY
    Full Name:
    Demostene Romanucci
    Congratulations!! Two months here! I'm still more jacked then when I got my driver's license! Enjoy!

7. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    Congratulations, you are in an elite class now.

8. MMT

MMT Karting

Apr 3, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Awesome ,Enjoy!

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    cONGRATS, HOPE I CAN DO THE SAme some day!!!

10. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That smile really does say it all! That's a beautiful looking T you have there. Congrats and welcome to Ferrari ownership!

Bill P.

11. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Nice ride. You did good...

12. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    What a gorgeous car!! Enjoy it and welcome to F car ownership, its the nicest thing I've ever done for myself!! :)

13. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    That feeling doesn't fade...6+ years on I still open the door and say to myself 'There's a Ferrari in MY garage!!' :D :D :D

Congrats!

14. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Congrats! That smile on your face was priceless.

15. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Congrats Andy and welcome to the club.

Now put some (safe) miles on her!

Best
    Jurgen

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    So true... I still get thrills just looking at the keys 3 years into ownership..I owned and drove lots of sports cars, none of them came close...really some sort of magic dust/soul these cars seem to have....

17. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Congrats! I bought mine out of simple absent minded curiosity 18 months ago. In the short ride home I knew it was worth it. Twelve thousand miles and half way through my second set of tires up here in the North Georgia mountains and what a gas! It seems these cars are satisfying to each and every sort of driver.

My biggest revelation is these cars are as capable as any of the other sporty cars of the era, faster then most of them, and will not kill if you screw up. The single most forgiving car I have ever driven.

_______
    The Purple ones are Way faster!

18. Rover1551

Rover1551 Karting

Aug 12, 2015
    Tampa, Fla.
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Same here Andy....30 years since a buddy drove me around in his "dads new car"!! I knew I had to have one!!! Congratulations!! Purchased ours 30 days ago but it still languishes in a ministorage, albeit for one more week. Picking her up on the way to the sunshine state and our new digs. Then...the fun begins!! Lol

19. Fcarhappy

Fcarhappy Karting

Dec 19, 2012
    Congrats!! We own a 98 550 and and 88 Mondial -- guess which one gets the most attention? If you guessed the Mondial you'd be right. It just doesn't photograph well but in real life Mondials make everyone smile and the sound of that whining 8 is pure music. We've had ours for three years and have no idea if the radio works!!!

20. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Very cool! Enjoy it in good health and drive it like you're not guaranteed another sunrise. BTW, F'Chat is about to become your best friend. There are a lot of people on here who will address any question you may have in spite of how ignorant it may be. (Ask me how I know that!) Furthermore, when you get a bit discouraged or in over your head (and you might) these folks will serve as cheerleaders and mental health counselors.

21. AZDiverDLR

AZDiverDLR Karting

Sep 7, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dave Rowley
    Congratulations. I love the smile om your face. Live your dream.

Ciao

22. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I believe there is no Ferrari better suited to daily driving then the Mondial. First of all, it has all sorts of room. Second, it is understated. It does not shout Star Wars but without the warp drive. Third, it is relatively simple to fix. Fourth, they do not have so much power you can not use it on public roads. This is a very big thing with me. I LOVE full throttle runs of three or four or more seconds. ANY of the modern iron would have me in leg irons or a pine box before I noticed anything else had happened.

And then there is the matter of Power Steering! Once Ferraris were equipped with power steering the whole thing went to hell, imho. At first power steering was a delete option. And power steering is WAY good for throwing your car hither and yon. But that is not what these earlier Ferraris are all about. They were about YOU man handling the beast, like Barney Oldfield at Indie 500.

There is no accident these cars steer, clutch, and shift like Mack Trucks. They make YOU work. And then they make you feel like you are seriously going fast because you are working. And then, if you get good at the Mack Truck stuff, they will ACTUALLY go fast. And in so doing will not kill you during the endeavor. Enzo is in the drivers seat. Fredrico Fellini is in the passenger seat.

It is not clear to me that this formula has been improved since. The newer cars will, of course, dust all of our 3.2 QVs. But my 3.2 puts down the exact same power as I have always found the best satisfying. In my case low 14 second 1/4 mile times. And I have authoritative corroboration. I took classes at Road Atlanta. One of the instructors and I had some things in common. For one thing, we had both rolled a Caddy CTS. And we both agreed on how much horsepower is appropriate on public roads.

And this guy seems to have held the absolute Road Atlanta lap time in the Viper Class. Well. Thats good enough for me.

23. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  24. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Congratulations. I still remember the first day of my Ferrari ownership almost 20 years ago. Unfortunately I couldn't stay up very long to stare at my new acquisition, because I had to have so many beers with a lot of friends and neighbours to toast my 308GTB :)
    I was knackered that late evening, but it was great.

Best Regards
    Martin