Bringing a car to US for holidays? | FerrariChat

Bringing a car to US for holidays?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by SE_Speciale, Sep 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SE_Speciale

SE_Speciale Rookie

Sep 19, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hope you guys (Mostly the americans) can help me :)

Me and a friend are desperate, to do a roadtrip in America, all the way from the eastcoast to the westcoast. But we want to drive our F-cars! Both my friends and my F-car are registered in Sweden. How difficult is it to bring a non-US registrered car to the US and use it? Will we need a speciel permission or will the only problem be insurence?

I guess it's not that difficult again, since I see a lot of NON-US registered cars duiring Gumball etc. Even a lof of Middle East registered F-cars in California this summer!

We are planing on shipping them over there, since bringing them in by plane is.... Well not that cheap :)

2. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I see cars with middle eastern plates all the time in Houston.

3. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I met some guys on goldRush V who were from Holland. They brought over their Panamera and an R8 and ran them both in the rally. Really pissed off the cops because they knew the speeding tickets they were handing out wouldn't impact these guys.

They had an auto import/export broker here in the US that helped them arrange everything. I'm sure a quick Google search will yield plenty of broker options. Good luck, sounds like a fun trip.

4. SE_Speciale

SE_Speciale Rookie

Sep 19, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    If a foreign registrered car is stopped in Scandinavia, you have to pay the speeding tickets immediately or else they will confiscate the car. Thought the same applied in the states.

I will take a look at some import/export brokers, thanks :)

5. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Depends on the state. Most let you go now though.

6. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Easy to do. Sounds like fun. What kind of f-cars?

Make sure you have good radar and laser detectors, and you are all set. I recommend the V1.

7. mwarrior

mwarrior Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2004
    Ontario and Texas
    Full Name:
    Gagan P
    As zudnic said, this depends on the state. Also, depends on the speed.
    Some (Arizona, for example) have what they call "Civil traffic" and "criminal traffic". Civil traffic is up to (I believe) 15 or 20mph over the speed limit, with everything beyond it being "criminal". Criminal requires a court appearance or a warrant is issued, which would affect future US visits (or even the same visit if stopped again without appearing in court). Civil you can pay or not, up to you. If unpaid then you just can't drive in the issuing state again until fine is paid.