Confrontation because of your Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Confrontation because of your Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by GWat, Sep 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    It sucks but you just have to accept the fact that sooner or later you're going to get dings.

I swear when I pick the farthest spot away there is always someone who will park next to me. I could be out in Siberia and the biggest POS will park right there by me. Taking up more than one spot in south Florida is just asking for someone to key me. :(

Instead I search for end spots or island spots where I can put the passenger side right up against the curb to give me an extra buffer. That way I'll can only get dinged by my neighbors passenger door. Shopping carts on the other hand are another story

2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is a situation that no Ferrari owner can win.

Park as far away as possible, park correctly, and ignore anyone who is verbally abusing you.

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I would have escalated the situation. I'm not big or particularly strong, and I have had my ass kicked quite few times but it doesn't scare me.
    Dick heads need to be confronted in my opinion. Most kinda have a minute of apprehension about kicking ass on a senior citizen though!!!
    A few weeks ago a young jackass in a huge 1 ton with rolling coal got to find out who I was after he spewed on me and a very nice young lady in a convertible in the lane next to me.

4. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Forget about it even being a Ferrari. I had a nice nardi edition Miata back years ago and I took my daughter shopping for a dance dress at a really upscale mall here in Orange County. I chose to park my car way out in the back 40 and did not even use more than one parking spot. We were walking to store entrance and I told my daughter "watch some moron will see my car and park next to it just to annoy me". Sure enough when we returned someone in a Buick sedan parked right next me. Hundreds of spaces available in front of the store. I just don't get people.......I would liked to have hung around until the owner returned to see what kind of person it was. Wouldn't have looked for a confrontation though.
    I don't take my 308 anywhere I can't keep an eye on it at all times lately.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    GWat, consider yourself lucky the dickless wonder didn't key it....

6. bspellerin

bspellerin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2011
    Hermon, Maine
    Full Name:
    Brian Pellerin
    #31 bspellerin, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Everyone else should have parked like the exotic. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I always make sure, like the OP, that I park in an end space, on the very edge of it away from the next space, to make sure no one goes near the car, but in the UK, I've still come back and found damage to the car. On occasion there is cctv so their details get sourced and liberal paint stripper is a great leveller.

In many parking lots in the UK, however, the spaces are way smaller than in the US, so it is impossible to park a wider car such as a Ferrari, or suv, within the spaces and still get out. I do park across two spaces as a protection to the car if it's necessary, and don't see the problem provided the car park isn't full (if it is, I just don't park there). I cannot see why anyone should get annoyed at this, as I wouldn't, even if the offending car wasn't that nice. Anyone's property is as important as your own, I treat everyone as an equal. The most beat up car is someone's transport, it's their baby, why would the way they park in a space bother me?

If someone has the need to physically block you in, or approach you, you must of course be careful, but sometimes you have no choice in a confrontation. I'm afraid I would rather stick up for myself, or someone else, than let some bonehead cause damage to someone's car, or to the person. Luckily for me, I have a rather particular look that intimidates people, so I don't often get argued with for long!, and no one concealed carries in the UK!

Due to illness, the one thing I'm looking forward to at the moment is getting a disabled parking permit, as heads will explode when it's in my 458 in the lovely 150% size spaces reserved for them everywhere here!

8. SE_Speciale

SE_Speciale Rookie

Sep 19, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Wasn't a confrontation although I'm pretty sure it was done by the same guy, who threw a bottle of water after me earlier that day, around the same place, there the glas to my engine hood was destroyed by a stone.

And of course I have had a few scratches with keys over the years but again - I use my cars everyday, all year around and I go anywhere with them and park them whereever I can find a spot, not always far away from others.

9. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    I know that I couldn't have parked between the lines in this particular spot, so maybe I should have moved to the penultimate one. But the fact remains that the work truck next to me was taking up then next 4 spaces. I usually never drive my CS to any public lot that I don't know exactly where I will be parking ahead of time and it drives my wife nuts. I guess I should have stayed with my usual strategy and not gone for coffee at this location. I admit I have a problem with people who think they need to bully others to justify their existence.

10. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    I think both parties need to look in the mirror.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    People get pissed off at trucks that take up too much space. People get more pissed off at exotic owners who take up too much space. Get used to it.
    Life aint fair.

And if someone decides he'll teach someone a lesson by damaging the car which do you think they'll choose?

And sorry but complaining about the truck taking up even more room is like telling mom you brother took even more cookies than you.

12. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    I do agree, hind sight is much clearer :)

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I don't do it, "even then"......we drive a very high visiblity car...

That said, I notice HUGE dents in the Cadillac, where some wide azz had flung a door hard enough to do thousands of dollars damage to my car!!

Tough old world.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This......+1

15. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I have also been in these situations, hard to comprehend. Some people man...

16. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    We live in a time where most feel that they are 'entitled'. Any sign of success is often frowned upon.

17. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Exactly. And if you have an exotic, a lot of people assume you were handed everything.

I only take my car out to drive. I don't "go" anywhere in it and park. Sad.

18. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Parking spaces are getting smaller

Add to that:

People consider cars disposable items. With easy credit, anyone can get one, almost any time. Sort of devalues the car ownership experience.

Which IMO, leads to most people to the attitude that they don't give a **** anymore about other peoples property (or their own).

Lately, I've been seriously considering those in-car cams that are motion activated - for my DDs. The Ferrari (and other vintage cars), I never leave alone in a parking lot for more than a few minutes.

Sid

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I was still IN the car once, when a Suburban pulled in so tight, I knew there was just 'no way" they were going to be able to exit the car!
    Sure enough, some huge person opened her door, banging a 4" crease into my Trans Am.

I waited, until they were in the store, and with pliers, yanked the rubber valve stems out of her near side wheels, and threw them, as far as I could!

Felt good......

20. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Agree but having Jiu-Jitsu experience, It gives you a comfortable sense of confidence!

21. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    On the other side of this coin, when I'm not in one "my cars" and driving a DD, whenever I see a "significant" car in a parking lot, I will happily go out of my way to park by it with the idea of protecting from non-appreciative drivers. I hope other folks will do the same for me, but at this time, I hardly every park one of "my cars" and leave it.

I won't even leave them at car shows and I've become very selective about the shows I attend. The sense of entitlement and lack of appreciation for property that many attendees have just amazes me. I feel kind of uppity sometimes, but I decline many car show invites... guess I've become a car show / concours snob.

22. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    nope, just you using your head and being smart about it.

i've seen people lay on the hoods of cars at shows for a "cool pic"

23. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    No not a snob, just wise and protective of your vehicles, I do not blame you !

A few years ago at the the Pasadena Ferrari show, in the streets and open
    to thousands......I heard about a guy who left his windows down and
    apparently doors unlocked.

He came back to his car with people actually having formed a small line to
    get in his car and get pics taken of them inside !

24. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    In my C5 Z06 Vette about 10 years back I parked in a space, perfectly,
    3/4 rows away from the stores, wide open lot. 2/3 spaces on either side.

I went in for only 5/10 minutes or so to get some sneakers and came out
    to find a full size truck parked inches from my drivers door, intentionally
    over the line, no way to open my drivers door.

I stood around for a few minutes waiting for the jack ass, in the meantime
    a few other people commented on the parking job. Likely because I was
    Intermittently yelling out "to whoever owns this truck".

After 10 minutes or so,I started getting pretty pissed, still waiting for this jerk.
    And yes, would of been a loud verbal confrontation, and maybe more.

I figured this character was looking out and wanted to see me crawl over
    the console, this I did after waiting around for 20 minutes now.
    Now these are clothing stores, women's, and shoe store, so I am
    wondering if this is even a guy......

I do not have anything to flatten tires, or I would of. Guaranteed.
    Thought about keying the truck, but did not. After around a half hour
    I finally left. Could not comprehend what someone gets out this sort
    of thing.

Just the other month, this time in my 2013- Veete Z06 I was behind a full size
    nice newer truck, following at a standard distance, this road has a lot of
    gravel/debris on the sides.

This guy and his buddy start drifting into the gravel, throwing it up,
    I back off... I have another car on my ass now, thinking he
    is texting or something. But no, I see them laughing and the passenger
    looking back laughing as they throw more gravel and dirt up.

So I end up backing way off, and turning off the road letting them get ahead
    and other cars get around me. While I could of tried to pass, and done so
    I figured they would swerve at me. And no, was not tailgating these guys.
    Saw them notice me behind them early on, just a-holes.

25. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That's when you wish Chevy equipped the car with a rocket launcher.