TEDEL Electronic Box | FerrariChat

TEDEL Electronic Box

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by William Abraham, Oct 20, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #1 William Abraham, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
    Hi

I think I need a TEDEL 102 box but would get the others also. Does anyone have these or a source for them? PS this is found in the firewall fuse box of Quattroporte IIIs back to back with the TEDEL 101. It is the box that links up the interior illumination (parts).

Thanks so much!!!

2. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    William,

Did you try Kerry McMullen at MIE? I beleive he has the Tedel 101, 102, 103 and 104 boxes. I actually wrote an article for VCM a few years back on how I rebuilt my Tedel 102 unit. PM me you e-mail and I'll forward it and some photos to you.

Mike

3. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Mike...

Is it possible you could post the article and pictures here???
    I know I would be interested in it...

Mexico074

4. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    #4 Jalpa_Mike, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For those who are interested and have a copy of VCM #84, this article and photo's are published as Tech Tip #385.

For those who don't have access to VCM, here it is:

Dash Light /Dimmer fix for 4Porte III

If you are having problems with your 1980’s 4Porte dash lights not functioning, the following might be your problem. First a little background: The 1980’s Maserari 4Porte has a total of (5) black Tedel “Brain Boxes” that control a myriad of functions, here is a brief overview of each:

Box Location Functions
    Tedel 101 Middle Fuse Box Door Locks, Trunk release, Gas Cap release, Fuel Pump
    Tedel 102 Middle Fuse Box Dash Lights & Dimmer, Dome & Door Lights, Key buzzer
    Tedel 103 Front Fuse Box Front Windscreen Defogger
    Tedel 103 Rear Fuse Box Rear Windscreen Defogger
    Tedel 104 Middle Fuse Box Parking Lights

In my case, everything electrical was working properly with the exception of my dash, shift selector and cigarette lighter illumination lights. My first thought was the dimmer rheostat (located just to the right of the radio) had gone bad. However, upon replacing that, the problem still persisted.

All indications were leading to a problem with the Tedel 102 box. First step is to disconnect your battery. You don’t want to be sticking your hands down there in the fuse box with all those wires! After I did this, my next step was to remove the Tedel 102 box (Note: you must also remove the Tedel 101 box to access the Tedel 102 box) (See Photo #1). It is critical to remember which direction these boxes face when taking them out and reinstalling them! Remember, the Tedel 101 box faces outward (using the grayish connectors, and fuse in the upper right hand corner) , and the Tedel 102 (w/ white connecters) mounts back-to-back with the Tedel 101, facing away from you and towards the engine. If you want to be safe, use a white grease pencil to mark how each unit faces, I would also recommend doing the same once you have the circuit board removed, as it can be installed upside down if you aren’t careful! DO NOT hook them up backwards as you will fry them and do more damage!

(Refer to Diagram #1) By using a volt meter and jumper wire hooked to a 12v source, I determined that voltage was coming into the box via connector (yellow/black wire) #2. However, no voltage was leaving the box via (white wire) #7! And, to confirm this I applied a 12v hot wire to #7 and presto, all the dash lights came on. Now I knew it wasn’t a case of every single bulb being burned out! Next step was to open the Tedel 102 box and see what was on the inside. After carefully prying off the back cover, the problems were obvious (See Photo #2) The capacitor had blown out, as did one of the three transistors.

Now, you can make a decision here. Fork over $305.00 for a new Tedel 102 box, or replace these (2) components. I chose the latter. I ran down to my local electronics shop and bought the (2) replacement components for a total of $2.47. Here is what I needed:

(1) 16v470uf Capacitor
    (1) TIP 125 Transistor

The tricky part is removing the old parts and soldering in the new ones. The key here is to not leave the soldering iron on the parts for so long you do damage to them or the board. Gently touch the hot iron to each connection (Reference Photo #3), watch for the solder to liquefy and pull it out. If you do it correctly, it should come right out, and leave a nice clean hole. Make sure you pay attention to which way the capacitor goes in! It MUST go in with the arrow pointing in the correct direction! Do the same for the Transistor, noting its position and that it has a screw and nut holding it to the circuit board (Reference Photo #4). Solder the new components into place with a small drop of solder, and clip off the excess “wire” that protrudes from the bottom.

That’s it! Now you just need to put everything back, once again ensuring that you have both boxes hooked up correctly and in the correct location! Hook up your battery and test your handy work!

Bear in mind that this “fix” was just for the “dash lights”, should you have problems with your door lights, buzzer, etc. It will be other transistors or capacitors inside your box. However, they would be easy to spot when you open your box! When they go, they go!

Hope this helps!!!

Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well it looks better than that fusebox out of your Countach ... LOL :D

6. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Great info, thanks Mike!

7. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    LOL! +1 on that!!!!

Mike

8. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Mike..

Thank you for the info...

I think these kind of tips from people who have been there
    and done that, are the most helpful!!

Mexico074

9. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    No problem! Glad I can offer assistance where I can.

I still miss my 4Porte! In fact, at one time I had 2 of them!!! My "baby", the one I owned for nearly 18 years is now with Thor (who is taking GREAT care of her!!!), the other was a "Euro Spec" 1980 which I got from Frank Baker at AW Imports back in New Jersey. Sadly, that one has been broken down for parts over the last decade or so at MIE after I sold it at auction.

Mike

10. c20500

c20500 Karting

Aug 12, 2010
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #10 c20500, Oct 25, 2012
    fleetwing likes this.
  11. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Charles,

your circuit board is quite a bit different than the one Mike posted. You have 1 transistor and quite a few ICs, he has 3 transistors and only 1 IC, to start with. Also, yours has a trim pot, Mike's does not.

Looks like yours is quite a bit more modern.

I wonder if they took the bother to update the electrical schematics along with each revision.

12. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Thor,

Charles is showing the "101" box, the one I wrote the article on is the "102" box. Separate animals. LOL!

Usually it is the 101 box that goes bad! I'd never heard of a 102 failure until it happened to my car! Go figure! hahahaa...

Hope all is well with you!

Mike

13. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    ohhh a single sided tin lead refuse circuit board!! good news is that it's easy to repair or build.

14. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Wow Great replies. I wish I had had them earlier!!!! Gives me some comfort moving forward. I bought a used box from a car being wrecked and a new one from MIE. A few other places that are happy to work on them also so I have lots of information.

One place asked me for a huge amount. Anyway, if you want any of the sources let me know.

W

15. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #15 William Abraham, Nov 2, 2012
    Well here is the picture of the 102 from the donor car. Rusted out metal frame for that one and looks like something is wrong with this one also. Here are the pics. I got a new one through MIE which will go in then I can look at the original one from the car which I may get sent out.

16. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #16 William Abraham, Nov 5, 2012
  17. QP3Austria

QP3Austria Rookie

Jan 18, 2015
    Full Name:
    J.P.
    Thank you for this perfect repair guide. Just repaired my Tedel 102 and everything worked like you described! This is amazing- all light are functioning perfect!

Greetings from Austria!

18. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    I had my Tedel 102 repaired. It had a blown TIP125 transistor so I replaced it in combination with the capacitor as described above.
    Unfortunately it did not work, the transistor started melting again so I was out of options. Found a repair shop next door (based in the Netherlands) with a very knowledgeable person that started checking every component. He needed some days to make the schematic how everything was supposed to function. After some time he made the schematic with every component including what it does and how it's supposed to function. He fixed the broken components and everything is working perfectly now!
    In the end he replaced the TIP125 transistor, a 16v 100uF capacitor, a BD371C transistor and a Quad 2-input NAND Schmitt trigger (don't ask me what it does).
    So if someone is in need to have it's Tedel 102 repaired in this part of Europe feel free to send me a PM. He has the whole schematic now so a repair will be quite easy for him next time.

fleetwing likes this.
  19. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Stefan..

Interesting information on the Tedel 102.. Excellent work by you and the person who
    did the repair. Any possibility of making the schematic available to those of us here in
    the USA?

Mike

fleetwing likes this.
  20. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    I tried to copy his schematics but they were two A4's full of lines and symbols unknown to normal mankind. They were made by pencil and it was unfortunately impossible to copy it in a way that it was visible and understandable.

He told me though that the design of the circuit board was not the best design he had ever seen. It lacks some important protections to prevent some of the components from blowing. I asked him if he could redesign it in a better way, this would be possible but very labor intensive to design a complete new print. He could (without spending weeks on a new design) upgrade the original one slightly in a way that it's better than original but still not perfect.

21. jamespeter26

jamespeter26 Karting

May 9, 2019
    Rome, Italy
    Full Name:
    Peter
    This thread seems the only source of information on the whole Internet about these Tedel boxes!

I have a problem with my Tedel 103 box, which acts as a timer for the thermic windscreen and rear window.

As indicated by Mike, there are two of these boxes on a Quattroporte III: one in the A fuse/relay box (under the hood) and the other one in the C fuse/relay box (in the trunk). Both are identified as component no. 74 in the small electric diagram on page 182 of the owner’s manual.

In my case, only the rear thermic window didn’t work, while the thermic windscreen is working properly. Narrowing down the problem to the faulty timer was straightforward: after testing the fuse and relay, I swapped the hood Tedel 103 with the trunk one, and all of a sudden the rear thermic window started working while the thermic windscreen stopped working.

The Tedel 103 internal design is even simpler than the 102 and 101. Below is a picture of what it looks like.

I can identify:
    - A few resistors and diodes
    - Two integrated circuits:
    - CD4014BCN / MM5613BN
    - CD4060BCN / MM5660BN
    - A few condensers:
    - 16V 100uF 85°C (light blue cylinder)
    - PMT/3R 0.1/10/100 (dark blue brick)
    - 102 (brown rounded)
    - +1 +50V (red rounded)
    - One transistor : ≈839 MPS -A13

In my case I can’t tell what is wrong just by looking at it, like Mike did. A visual inspection of both Tedel 103 side by side doesn’t reveal any visibly blown component, which makes me think that one of the integrated circuits might be wrong.

I will test all the other components, and if all of them are in order, then I’ll just replace the integrated circuits. They are available from a bunch of sellers on eBay.

If others are interested, I could also order more of these electronic components and make a few Tedel 101/102/103. Let me know by sending me a PM.

fleetwing likes this.
  22. jamespeter26

jamespeter26 Karting

May 9, 2019
    Rome, Italy
    Full Name:
    Peter
  23. jamespeter26

jamespeter26 Karting

May 9, 2019
    Rome, Italy
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm also adding a picture of the printed circuit of the Tedel 103, for those who would be interested.

Attached Files: