Dead HVAC/AC panel | FerrariChat

Dead HVAC/AC panel

Discussion in '348/355' started by Räserperra, Jul 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Räserperra

Räserperra Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Ingarö Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kringberg
  2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Did you actually test the hidden fuse, or just visually inspect it?

Mike

3. Räserperra

Räserperra Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Ingarö Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kringberg
    I tested it and it was faultless.

4. Bertil

Bertil Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2012
    Stockholm Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bertil Palmblad
    I'm back in town next week. I have a spare unit you can borrow for a test.
    Bertil

5. Räserperra

Räserperra Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Ingarö Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kringberg
    #5 Räserperra, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    Bertil, thank you! :)
    U2U with my phone number.

6. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    You might try taking it apart to see if there are any bad solder joints. If it turns out to be truly dead I might be a buyer if it's not too expensive. I know others have gone down the path before, but I'm wondering if it's possible to create a circuit to replicate its function.

Best of luck in finding a fix. Fears about the CC unit were my biggest worry in finally deciding to buy a 348.

7. Full

Full Karting

Feb 21, 2010
    Crato,Ceará - Brazil
    Full Name:
    Alessandro
    #7 Full, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    GOOD EVENING!
    HOW'S YOUR FRIEND RESTORATION !?
    PASSED PRA GIVE A TIP HOW TO REMOVE RUST!
    THESE MINI grinding DO REAL MIRACLES!
    EVERYBODY MUST HAVE ONE!
    STEEL BRUSH IS THE MAXIMUM PRA THAT KIND REMOVAL!
    HUG AND GOOD LUCK!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Räserperra

Räserperra Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Ingarö Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kringberg
  9. Räserperra

Räserperra Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Ingarö Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kringberg
    BTW, when I opened it was dated 1994 and my car is built in december 1989. So there has been trouble before..

10. Full

Full Karting

Feb 21, 2010
    Crato,Ceará - Brazil
    Full Name:
    Alessandro
    GOOD MORNING!
    HI
    IT SEEMS REALLY UNDERSTAND THE SUBJECT!
    MORE ATTEMPT TO CLEAN THE CONTACTS OF OXIDATIONS AND REVIEW THE WELD POINTS!
    CAN ONLY BE EVIL CONTACT!
    AT 348 is INCREDIBLE AS THERE ARE SEVERAL PARTS ARE EXACTLY THE SAME USED CARS SIMPLE WELL, YOU HAVE AN IDEA PRA when I needed CHANGE MY SENSORS OF THE TPS 348 costing U $ 300.00 AND JUST FINDING THAT WERE ABSOLUTELY THE SAME OF FIAT UNO IN US $: 30.00 !!!!!!!
    IN MY CENTRAL PANEL THAT IS WHERE YOU ARE WORKING NOW, ONCE BURNED A CERTAIN OF THESE SMALL 4 RELAYS, AND THE SOLUTION WAS THE SAME AS NOW ISIC, SHAFT FIAT (LAUGHS!)
    HUGS AND HAPPINESS!

11. Räserperra

Räserperra Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Ingarö Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kringberg
    I talked to our great brother Bertil on the phone today. If my HVAC is dead, he will lend me his ac unit, and I can keep it until mine is repaired. What a great man! :)

12. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    That's not correct - A HVAC failure could just as easily be an internal component failure as a bad contact!

BMW's E36 are well known to suffer similar failures of their digital climate control units (BMW's version of HVAC/AC), and the cause of the fault is due to a failure of a capacitor on one of the circuit boards.

Replace the capacitor and the control unit is as good as new! (guess how I know this! ;) )

Bad contacts do cause a lot of issues for the 348's HVAC/AC panel, but as far as I'm aware, it's never been proven to be the cause of dead HVAC panels.

13. Räserperra

Räserperra Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Ingarö Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kringberg
    Tomorrow I will test Bertil´s HVAC in my car. Cross my fingers that it´s an easy fix! ;)

14. Räserperra

Räserperra Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Ingarö Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kringberg
    Tested a proper working HVAC and that one did not work in my car. So it´s something in the cars wiring or grounding points or what ever.. I checked the relay that is connected to the hidden fuse and it was working. Any suggestions, friends? :)

15. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    voltmeter

16. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Is your clock working?

17. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I'm not trying to hijack this thread but it's funny you asking if the clock works.

My HVAC/AC was previously working okay (it would occasionally play up and cut out but a quick press of the fan speed button would get it going again), but the clock would never work properly (you could set the time and it would run okay but when you turned the car off and back on again the clock reset back to zero).

Since having My hazard warning light switch relays fixed (which required removal of the HVAC/AC panel), the AC/heater section of the panel no longer works but the clock now works perfectly and doesn't keep resetting itself!

(Annoyingly, the day I collected the car from the service the AC/heater worked perfectly for the whole day. The next morning, the only thing the panel did was tell you what the time was!)

The whole panel lights up and displays correctly with no error codes showing, and when you press the fan speed buttons the display alters correctly but the fan does nothing (I need to check the contacts for the HVAC plug and also investigate the fan speed control module by the looks of things).

Out of the blue the other day the AC/heater suddenly started working properly again, but later that same day it decided to quit again. :(

If it comes to having to choose between knowing what the time is and being kept warm/cool then I know which is more important to Me! - And I always wear a watch anyway!

18. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #18 Miltonian, Jul 29, 2015
    When I purchased my 348, the climate control system was dead. I got a big discount on the asking price because of it. It turned out that the "hidden fuse" was partially melted in its holder. It didn't actually burn out the fuse, it would pass current along the system until it got hot, then break contact. I fixed the problem by installing a heavy duty, gold plated, cylindrical fuse and holder, with vastly more contact area for current flow (less heat). This is the kind used for big automotive stereo amplifiers. Still a 30amp fuse, but far less heat produced.

If the problem is here, it will disable the clock at the same time, IIRC.

19. Räserperra

Räserperra Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Ingarö Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kringberg
    I have 13.89 volts in the bidding fuse socket and I even ringed the fuse to be sure that it was ok. The relay works properly when the ignition key is turned over. Anyone knows were all the grounding points are located? Today I´m going to check the ground going from minus pole on the battery to rear engine frame and to bell housing. But there must be another one.

20. FBI

FBI Formula Junior

May 27, 2008
    Calgary,Ab
    Congrats on selling your car Per! But I was hoping for an answer on this as I'm having the same problem.

Is there a way to power the unit when it's removed from the car? Just want to see if it lights up.

My hidden fuse is good. The unit worked fine a few months ago but now it's completely dead. I would like to narrow it down to the unit or a wiring issue.

Thanks

21. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    To power up the AC ECU:

Pin 1 (brown) - permanent +12V
    Pin 2 (pink/black) - Ground
    Pin 3 (green/white) - Ign. +12V
    Pin 26 (white) - ECU illumination

I do not know offhand the positions of the listed pins in the ECU socket but you can determine if you find out where the mentioned wire colours connect to the connector block.

Otherwise, I have a cut-off male connector with a short length of all the wires going to it and I can let you know the pin positions over the weekend.

22. FBI

FBI Formula Junior

May 27, 2008
    Calgary,Ab

Thanks M
    I think I understand that. I'll give it a try.
    If you have the pin positions please let me know.

23. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    #23 m.stojanovic, Oct 2, 2015
    Here's the pinout of the AC ECU. You will have to make some tiny insulated female plugs with a length of wire in order to connect to the pins for testing (especially since the "+" and "-" 12V pins are very close to each other (Pins 1, 2 & 3) - don't cause a short circuit. You can determine the wire colours and the functions of the other pins by looking at the wiring diagram. I have verified the actual wire colours to the connector block with what is shown on the diagram - all checks OK.

24. FBI

FBI Formula Junior

May 27, 2008
    Calgary,Ab
    Thanks again Miroljub!

Cheer's