F12 & 918 driven hard on the Stelvio Pass. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F12 & 918 driven hard on the Stelvio Pass.

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Condor Man, Sep 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    #26 Condor Man, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo

I figured. Especially since the 918 driver was braking in places where you wouldn't brake if you were on a track -- definitely need to allow for that, even with the F12's great brakes.

I wonder what that bicyclist thought....

3. lsmkr01

lsmkr01 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    VA
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    My thoughts:
    1. That V12 sounds absolutely phenomenal. In case you have never been exposed, the scent of Xerjoff XJ 17/17 Homme would perfectly compliment all the other visual and audio stimulation while riding F12. It's perfect so look into it; as a connoisseur it is my all time favorite fragrance.
    2. LOVE the scaled down size of the F12 and 918 in contrast to the 991.
    3. 918 without WP looks so much better.
    4. Ever think of BBS FI or HRE P101 in brushed finish to contrast the grigio?
    5. The video did a good job and relaying the warp-like speed that engine and transmission provide. Thanks for sharing!

4. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Mark just got his 918, he is not going to go 100% on the narrow Stelvio pass.

Anyway, since I have both the F12 and the 918, I can attest to the power of the F12, it may not be able to keep up in the corners, but it has more than ample power to stick around on straights. But one thing is for sure, traveling in the F12 is 100% better than in the 918.

5. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Hey Eric,

That sounds fantastic!

I bought my F12 only for European travel and it is simply the very best car for 2 people to travel with a heap of luggage in style with oodles of speed.

10 weeks ago I drove from Maranello to Cinque Terre and then to Monaco which was a nice road the Italians are a lot more relaxed with the speed limits compared with the French police.

You are going to have a blast! Best of luck with your adventure.

6. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    All very true. The 918 was monster in the corners and braking into them as well which would leave an F12 for bye bye!

And travelling in an F12 is just the most ideal car on the planet. You should see the amount of luggage we fit in it! Honestly if I could choose any other car in the world, I would not go for anything but the F12 for these journeys.

7. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    #32 Condor Man, Sep 30, 2015
  8. rost12

rost12 Rookie

Apr 6, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rost
    Nope, those belong to Woppum.

9. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric

YAY!!!!

until a few days ago my only experience with a F12 was in Europe. next summer cant get here fast enuff!!!!!

If anyone is going to be in Europe next summer please let me know, i'm ready to go anywhere. Since my back operations in 06-10 i've been spending lots of time in Europe and I love it. I like it much more than America. Being in both is of course the best!!!

i'm going to post a long thread, bad grammar and everything about the F12 and all the other cars i've had the privilege of owning. I will share this now, short of the beauty of the Enzo, I like the F12 more.

thank you for the reply to my kinda off the idea of the thread post,

kindest regards

eric :)

10. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    #35 Whoopsy, Sep 30, 2015
  11. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Sounds great!

I will be back in March, July and Sept next year!

I have also written a thread on the F12 section during my tour 8 weeks ago with my F12.

12. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    That is a cracking combo!

I said to Mark 3 weeks ago that my perfect 3 cars to own would be a 918, F12 and a 991 GT3RS.

I already have the F12 and my 991 GT3RS arrives in Dec.

So now I just have to buy a 918!

13. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC

Haha, well that 918 will be a bit of a stretch to find one at decent price. But your incoming GT3RS will be a hoot to drive. After I got mine a month ago I haven't touch my 918 at all, basically I drove it all of 50 feet, moving it from 1 parking stall to another to make room for the RS.

At times I actually would take my FF instead of F12 for long trips, a wee bit more relaxing and tons more cargo room. Asking 2 wheels to put down 700+hp is an exercise in restrain even on dry roads.

14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Debating a 911 GT3 RS now...you really think it's that good of a car, say over getting another 458 Spider or a Speciale?

15. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC

This is not the only forum I have said I prefer driving my RS over my 918, and last weekend at Rennsport Reunion the Porsche brass there also heard about me trumping the RS over the 918.

They kind of have an answer, this week Porsche has just rolled out an update for the 918, which boosted the rear e-motor output and make the car a bit more 'tail happy'. Before the event we told Porsche that we had recorded a e-mode only 0-60mph time at 5.1 seconds on a slightly uphill run, we were told after the update we will be even more satisfied. I suspect updated cars will do that time in under 5 seconds.

I had a Speciale before, didn't have them together at the same time to have a proper side by side, but yes, personally I do believe the RS will trump the Speciale in driving feel, it may not be ultimately the faster car, but while I kind of missed my Speciale, which I had compared to being a 918 'lite', i.e. a 918 without the hybrid package, I really honestly believe the RS is THAT good, as in even better than the Speciale, even considering the price difference.

The new GT3RS is really that good.

P.S. Ever since I have gotten my RS, I always was itching to drive it and then I don't want to stop driving it after I drove it. Sitting in my drawer are the keys to a 918, a F12, a FF and the RS, every time without fail my hands go for the RS's key first. I have to make a conscious effort to grab the other keys in order to drive the others.

For the owners of the new RS, everyone I have talked to said the same thing, they don't want to get out of their RS period.

16. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thank you,

It is always exciting to hear from someone that actually owns a variety of cars to compare it to.

I am wondering when the new RS arrives how much I will drive my 99.2 RS and my 458?? Actually I was offered a 675LT and should have proceeded with one of those.......

You are right that the 918 is out of control on the price at the moment. To add to the pain our Aussie dollar has recently been punted which makes it all that more painful.

17. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    Sounds like the Spluga pass which is north of Lake Como .

18. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric
    ill look at the map again, i was 2.5 hours south of munich, there was road work so the road we were diverted to was to 'good' one. :D Thank you!!

19. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Splugen Pass is just south of Chur and the Swiss Autobahn #13.

Funny enough I am writing an article about that drive later today using photos I took a couple months ago.

20. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric
    I figured it out

the san bernardino tunnel was closed, i was diverted onto "road 13" i found it on the map, i'm not bright enough to know how to post that here.

Galleria del San Bernardino
    6565 Mesocco
    Switzerland

its a couple k's north of the link i pasted above, easy to find from there.(not the straight road)

the real question is after the tunnel opens is that road going to be open? maintained? sure was nice.

best
    eric:)

21. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric

I was sure surprised at how good the 918 really is. I received a invitation to buy one years ago from the factory-i still have the book and package. My concern was after the CGT, did Porsche have a good car?? I had a GT2 i didn't like, 930 turbo(i think it was a S), a 84 911, and a 944 in the 80's. I love most 911's. The CGT IMO was just bad and if the 918 was 2X better it still wasn't going to be a plan-for me. I was wrong.

Regrettably I didn't buy a 918, i was in Europe watching something on TV and saw it on a track in Qatar with blue flames coming out of it, I was sold then. Should have followed up on the offer.

I've been pretty lucky to own some amazing cars over the years-but no blue flames

having a bowl, box or board of keys to choose from is something i wish everyone could experience. It's not overrated. :D Some of my cars don't have keys(those are REAL fun)

22. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    The CGT is an abnormally within Porsche's heritage. It was born from salvaging 2 failed racing programs to recover some costs. It has no lineage before it and none after.

Personally I don't look highly on it, while others positively loved it and especially the V10 sounds. But that car doesn't nothing for me.

As for the 918, from early on I saw the potential is there, no matter how low Porsche's published target was at that time before revising upwards later. I can see it taking it's place next to the 959 within Porsche's history. I was sold just on that fact alone, put down my money early enough to be within the initial 200. The rest as they say is history.

23. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    It's a beautiful road and I enjoyed my drive very much. Unfortunately the lancia diesel I was driving was not as inspiring as I would have liked , but the switchbacks were great never the less.

24. dinges

dinges Karting

Jan 1, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Aram
    Awesome video!! Do you have any more footage perhaps?
    Also I see you went to the Sinsheim museum, I have been thinking about going there for a while now, is it worth the trip?

Kind regards,

Aram.

25. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Sinsheim was brilliant. We stayed too short IMO and you need a good few hours to do it properly. I really liked the combination of motor and aero...