Ferrari 0855 Ellena | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 0855 Ellena

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enio45, Sep 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Am I nuts or is the placement of the heel pad peculiar on the Hudkin pic?

2. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #127 enio45, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    new AIR VENTS for the grill area - had news ones made - will get more pics, these were the only ones i could find at this time

inserted new screen as well at the opening

fyi on the technical side, the orig screen was spec'd at 20 lines per inch (whatever that converts to in MM) . we did the same spot welds and not so pretty welds on the sides to best duplicate the originals.....when these fit into place, the gap between the vent the fender is filled with a filler, like underlayment for the carpet (or jutt padding like) .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #128 enio45, Oct 1, 2015
    Here is the first pass of one of the 6 body side moulding that we decided to recreate for the Ellena. I have all 6 orig pieces, but they are pretty banged up, uneven surfaces and overall not up to the standard I'm pursing.

Orig's were made from solid aluminum so we did the same on the CNC. We also duplicated the back and when they are done ill stamp in the VIN number like the originals have.

Ill need to slightly knock off the edges when we polish them and we did make it a little longer so we can taper the fit to close the gaps for a tight look.

Ill be able to make sets of these for others after i get mine done. I have seen several Ellena's without molding - so maybe i can sell a few sets to recover the cost.

Enjoy.....

redfred84 likes this.
  4. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Good work with the moldings... We have a master welder here in Berkeley that might be able to rebuild your originals. He is rebuilding the fins on my oil pan lid that were dented or knocked off over the years.

john

5. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I personally think that stamping numbers on remade pieces is forgering and may mislead a future restorer. At least for me it is very important to know which parts/features are original and which have been recreated - and faked stampings makes judgement very difficult. I personally would likely stamp my intials on any remade part.

To ramble on, changing the manufacturing techniques also tends to change the appearance of a part, even if the restorer rarely realizes it. In some cases I've noticed contours that would have been almost impossible to make with traditional methods but are easy to make with CNC. The most important thing with CNC-made pieces is to polish them properly so that the machine work cannot be seen on the surface at any lighting conditions.

I've sometimes wondered how these pieces were originally made in the first place... It seems they picked up an extruded alloy profile, cut it to correct length and then shaped the ends. Have never worked with an extruded profile, would that shaping be done by forging? Hot or cold?

PS. I think making sets available to others is a very good idea.

6. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    point taken on the stamping....im not one to deceive anyone -which is why I'm posting many pics of the build process - i wanted the stamp to survive because the orig's had the vin # on it, not all parts get the vin numb. Good idea with initials.

it looks like my originals were custom welded on the ends and shaped.

John, this orig piece in the pic is my best one....others pieces have been sanded down at places more that an 1/8 inch, due to fit or damage issues. Repairing them was considered - but getting them flat might never happen for a reasonable price.

7. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Desperate need - ELLENA SEATS - - see wanted section for my ad!!

Need help Worldwide - i have been searching, lots of request i have placed in Europe but nothing has surfaced. Reaching out to the WW F-Chat members, friend, families, enemies, and hopefuls .....pls pls pls...

Maybe Maserati could be the same or close as sell - 3500GT??

thanks for the reading and helping!.

8. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Hi,
    i would recommend to mark each new set of Body Side Mouldings with your (full) name, year (2015 or 2016 whenever you finish them) and eventually name of your town.

This helps future generations to understand it and to locate the person / company and the work done.

If you add the serial number of each car then i would suggest to mark them accordingly, e.g. "replacement for 718".

With the modern technics to mark objects it should be possible to write more than your initials on the rear side of the Body Side Mouldings.

Above said is what restaurators of old paintings do (mark their full name, their town and the year and any remarks what kind of work they have done) on the rear side of the wooden frame of the painting. This is standard practice since hundreds of years and makes sense.

I would even recommend to place a comment about your work (again with year, full name, your town and what kind of work was done) on a easy removable plate on a position which cannot be seen on first glance but on second glance, for the same reason for future generations.

Sure you are proud of your work and that plate will refer to your high quality work.

Hope the above mentioned recommendations do not upset you and congrats to the huge work.

Best regards
    Ben

9. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Ben - good thoughts and advise - - I'm all about doing the right thing....sounds good to me

10. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #135 enio45, Oct 10, 2015
  11. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #136 enio45, Jan 10, 2016
  12. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #137 enio45, Jan 10, 2016
    I was able to purchase a correct radiator and blind setup from a friend overseas who has helped me immensely with his knowledge and parts. The rad was crated and shipped but sustained some damage to the bottom side - so in the spirit of what I'm doing we completely disassembled the radiator for restoration and a new core. The bottom piece is a new FIM piece from GTO engineering (thanks to Tom S :) ) and i began the process of swapping over the parts and making the necessary repairs to the top tank as well.

13. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
  14. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
  15. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #140 enio45, Jan 10, 2016
  16. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
  17. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #142 enio45, Jan 10, 2016
    Hood Hinges on my car were both bent due to the hood flipping open while the car was towed backwards in the day...(thanks bradley) - -anyhow - another good friend who has an original Ellena took his hinge off his car and sent me his so i can duplicate the exact curve needed to correct hinges. It worked out perfect - hinges reformed, new pins made and drilled for a nice tight fit on the pins.

Additionally - it would have taken a lot of work to straighten the hood and the frame - so i bought another hood with that front and rear end from TS and although that hood was perfect on the frame - it to suffered a lot of dents on the top side which was covered by body filler. It was easier to make a new skin for the hood, thus what you see below. This week we are working on taking the old skin off and on with the new!!

18. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #143 enio45, Jan 10, 2016
  19. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #144 enio45, Jan 10, 2016
  20. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #145 enio45, Jan 10, 2016
  21. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #146 enio45, Jan 10, 2016
    Front brake distribution block for the front brakes was split in two pieces. Mounts on the front cross member in behind the radiator next to the motor. These are virtually impossible to find - so i resorted to having this one welded together and then i sent all the parts to Karps Brake Service and Ron resleeved it and rebuilt the unit.

I hear a lot of bad things about this part, like locking up the front brakes etc, so i need to see when i get it in what is happening. Some owners i have hear eliminated this completely and some have taken all the guts out and supposedly it works fine that way. I don't know.....so ill see when we get the brakes together and working or not!

22. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #147 enio45, Jan 10, 2016
  23. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #148 enio45, Jan 10, 2016
  24. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Ed, thanks for sharing, this is a real treat, much appreciate it.

I just went thru assembling my front suspension and steering. Unless you know which shim came from where, be prepared to spend some time on setting up the front suspension, but it's all good fun.

I do not remember a set screw in my idler arm shaft.

I tend to think that this is the first time Ferrari used the front booster cylinder so maybe this first generation was not as well engineered as the later ones. But the later ones seem to work fine. It would be good to hear from folks who operate theirs without this booster, if there is any appreciable difference.

Keep it up, you are doing good by resurrecting this rare Ferrari.

john

25. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    My 330 car did not have the set screw....so i believe it is an early thing

My shims are stacked neatly in a pile....so it will take some time I'm sure.....

I have your cotter pins ready to go out....sorry for the delay