High RPM Shifting in Speciale | FerrariChat

High RPM Shifting in Speciale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Eilig, Oct 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Today I drove my Speciale and for the first time, I shifted in the 7000 to 8500 range. It BANGS into gear really hard in that range... Not at all like the seamless, quick shifts at rpm lower than this... But it's more than that. There almost seems to be a slight delay before it hits the next gear, and when it hits, there is a big bang. It almost makes me think that something is going to break! Is this normal??? Has anyone else noticed this when they shift their Speciale in that rpm range? I'm wondering if there is something wrong with mine... It feels like something in the transmission might be slipping before it bangs into the next gear...

I'll look forward to hearing if anyone else has noticed same....

TIA (thanks in advance!)

2. Andrew 912

Andrew 912 Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    USA
    Full Name:
    AES
    Nope..... The shift on Speciale should be smooth due to the dual clutch so I think you should bring to the dealer have them check on the transmission segment through computer and could be the transmission program in the ECU. Good lucks

3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Try flicking the paddles. Dont lift.

4. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I'm not lifting, I keep the pedal pressed to the floor.

5. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    The shifts can be pretty abrupt and jarring depending on how you are driving the car. Try driving easy for a few miles and the shifts should become more pleasant. Drive extremely hard for a few miles and the computer changes the shift profile.

The biggest change I noticed in my Speciale, compared to the 458 is the immediate downshifts. My 458 had smooth, rev matching downshifts. The Speciale just instantly drops gears with a BANG.. I've chirp the tires on a downshift 3-2 which never happened in the 458. Amazing how quick the shift are..

6. MikeS

MikeS Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mike S
    My Speciale does upshift harder when I am on the throttle hard. Sufficient track usage where I am confident in the transmission integrity. Regarding your "slip", make sure you are not into the rev limiter. That could cause that type of feeling.

7. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Don't hold the paddles just touch them as quickly as possible.

8. rblissjr

rblissjr Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2009
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Robert Bliss
    My definitely does bang into the next gear but it does shift quick. This could be a perspective scenario. Easy way to find out... Go for a ride in another one and compare or if that's to difficult have your dealer take it for a test drive. It's nice to have peace of mind!

9. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I was thrashing a Speciale to the max on a track recently and really noticed the hard shifts which surprised me, however it seemed to fit the character of the car. As an aside, what a wonderful drive-exceptional, and I hope my f12 VS is at least as exciting.

10. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Hmm could be because you are loosing traction at high rpm's
    which is creating a jerk, do you have new tires or old ones?

talk soon once I come up for some air from work!!
    xoxo

11. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    I went for a spirited drive today across the skyway bridge, through a rainbow (really, maybe Joe will post a pic) with a couple of other Ferraris and the Speciale was shifting like a dream.. very hard, assertive, fast and with a real sense of purpose. It also locked the back wheels a few times on high RPM downshifts in the rain. Just amazing, can't believe how fast the shifts are in this car. I know there is rev matching on the downshift but it is so quick it is imperceptible.

Enjoy it!

12. groutguy

groutguy Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2014
    Mine shifts hard when I drive hard, and shifts smooth when I'm cruising.
    I believe that it is the auto learning adjusting to whatever your driving style is.
    When your driving aggressive, it shifts so hard that the change flies out of my pocket. Very scuderia style of shifting; you gotta love Ferraris programming system!

13. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    You and I have both been working way too much/hard! :)

14. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I'm going to get my other one out next weekend and compare them... :)

15. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Agreed!! Time for some R&R in November! ;)