Tom Meade, car designer | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Tom Meade, car designer

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ExcelsiorZ, Sep 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Beautiful! I hate the steering wheel but that is beside the point, that car is truly amazing. Who owns it these days?

2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #202 dgt, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Presented by owner at CI
    The guy who drove the car up opened the door after a while, no air he must have been very hot in there...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. OregonTreasureHunters

Sep 13, 2015
    I have a nice set of 4 of the Tom Meade knock-offs that came in a estate that I bought. Is there a market for them? Very heavy and shiny and also included in the box they were in was a 1970 Road & Track magazine featuring one of his cars as well as a hand written bill of sale from when the late owner purchased them for $3,000. Just curious if I should hang them on the shop wall as art, hide them in a safe, or sell them.

4. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    #204 jnk, Sep 15, 2015
    attached is an article written about a very dedicated car collector who fell in love with Tom Meade's NEMBO. I have had the opportunity to buy this car . It was delivered 3 days ago. I have also attached some pictures next to my Daytona Spyder.

5. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Frank Reisner designed and built some of Italy's best looking cars in a very short period of time. He really deserves more recognition for his achievements.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Here is the Thomassima III photographed by yours truly at the Galleria Ferrari last winter, amazing to see it in person at last, very OTT like Tom:) but sooo dramatic!

MS

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #207 Nembo1777, Sep 17, 2015
  8. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Maybe a different backdrop

9. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    What a crack-up that Tom's creation is in the Galleria. Enzo did not approve of Tom's work.

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Ed, hope you are well. Yes I had the same feeling but the Fiat promotional machine which owns Ferrari is run by people who have little interest in history and no clue about such things. Still it was great to see this mythical creation decades after reading the Road & Track article, I had a terrible cold that day 10 months ago but I was smiling ear to hear seeing this crazy Meade mobile:)

Best regards,

MS

11. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I think it's nice they have the car there. Even if Enzo didn't approve, the car has a significant connection to Ferrari, and it's cool that they acknowledge that.

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  13. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    I wonder why they left the front badge off?

14. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Great looking car, but eBay? Weird place to sell something like this. I'm sure any auction house would like to have it...

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes not the wisest move....

MS

16. Gianni Serazzi

Feb 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    In memory of Tom
    Dears,
    as mentioned many times the 2707GT is indeed the "Lost" Nembo. As updated a few times, this car is indeed in Italy, pictures were taken by a Ferrari Museum (and Classiche) employee (including the chassis stamp) and given for record to Ferrari as someone else was using that chassis number.

The car is not assembled as Tom prepared it for storage, that means he removed the engine and other parts. However, all the pieces are there and all the documents are there (dating back to Tom's first purchase of the car, customs documents importation in Italy, targhetta etc.). As mentioned in the past this car as well will undergo restoration and go to the Ferrari Museum.

It turns out that also the new person claiming ownership of 2707GT has surfaced trying to sell the car. It is supposedly a Drogo. A book came out on Drogo just last month where the 2 historians Jack Koobs de Hartog and Marc de Rijck examined the 2707GT car. On pages 127 and 128 they clearly indicate that all the sign point to Drogo 3405GT being renumbered to 2707GT after 1981 and that 2707 was not the original number of the car currently on sale. They have very detailed explanation that I invite you to read.

Unfortunately several times Tom's cars numbers were used as he put them away and did not use them for many, many years. As I have learned, in this Ferrari world after a few years that a car is not seen someone else comes up with a car with the same number. Luckily there is Ferrari classiche and a few experts that can bring clarity. The same happened also on the WRE1003 that Tom used for the Thomassima Anticobra and that Adolfo Orsi is working now on to prove the real story despite the fact that we have a lot of original documentation dating 50 years ago, so I guess it's not only a Ferrari specificity.

17. 121Designer

121Designer Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2013
    Burbank,California
    Full Name:
    Joshua Lange
    #217 121Designer, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    With all respect Ed Niles. Enzo gave Tom his personal phone number and spoke with Tom in Italian longer than he did for all of the other non-Italians combined. Tom earned his respect and unfortunately outdid him at his own game. I'll quote Road and Track, "All that a Ferrari could be, but with more sex added." Enzo had no choice after that...nothing personal but Enzo pulled all of Tom's after hours Ferrari employees from helping Tom. Don't mistake that for the respect that Tom Meade had earned from Enzo previously.