What to look for? | FerrariChat

What to look for?

Discussion in '360/430' started by godabitibi, Oct 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I've read the sticky about buying a 360 but since it is now 7yo and did not answered all my questions here I go.

I'm tempted by a 2001 spyder 6 speed. Car has 30k miles.

Forget all the paper and maintenance thing, I'm allready a Ferrari owner since many years and this one would be my fourth Ferrari.

I want to know what is specific to a 360 of that time that need to be known before buying.

2. no8080

no8080 Karting

May 5, 2011
    Uk
    #2 no8080, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Hmm, paperwork and maintenance aside, I would say at 30K miles the rubberised coatings on the window switches, door handles will be worn off or getting that way, this drove me nuts on my 360. The rough silver finished door and centre console of the dashboard may not be in good condition. the black sidepanels in the engine bay fade badly if exposed to much sunlight, they end up patchy. Dealers often use a back to black product to hide this during the sale. The seat webbing may be damaged on the drivers seat, lift the lower seat foam and check. The exhaust muffler can leak white powder around the joins, it gets everywhere in the engine bay.

Check the ABS is fully working, expensive to sort.

Airbags should really be replaced, although lots of discussion on lifetime of airbag units.

There was a recall on the earlier 360s for exhaust phase variator.

Gearbox mount bushing was replaced by an uprated version in the 430. Worth seeing if it has the newer designed one.

The fanblock bushings to the suspension a arms will have perished, see if they have been replaced. The uprated CS bushings are worth putting in. Electronic shocks need checking to see if they work when the cars in sports mode.

Corrosion to body panels, check around side repeaters/indicators, along bottom edges of the doors. It will show up as bubbling under the paint, or a slightly uneven finish to the paint if it's in it's early stages.

Check both fans are working, the right side fan tends to fail on cars in colder climates.

That's all I can think of with non regular maintenance items. This is based on my experience with a 360 at 40K miles anyway.

They are a great car, so I would say a defo thumbs up

Neil

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    no8080 did a good job on other possible problems.. I'll add buying a new battery every 3-4 years as a preventative measure works well against electrical issues and unlike the analog cars expect you'll need access to a SD or Leonardo at least once for suspension lights to isolate which bad sensor and coils will go bad but not set off a CEL or give a code. Specifically what other questions do you have?

4. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I have a modena, but I have heard that the top on spyders can give problems. I bought one with 30K on it and am very happy with it. I drive my cars and as far as I can see 30K is not a lot of mileage for a 360. I have done a lot of maintenance on the WHOLE car, but I do it myself to the cost was not too much. It is a real plus to have the red master key and the code to the alarm system.

5. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Well ANYTHING can give you problems but the 360/430 spider tops are not "problem prone".

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Code is important but the red is no different from a black fob once it has been programmed to the system.

7. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    How much clutch is left on the car? When I bought my 360 it had 17k miles. Had less than 20% clutch left revealed on PPi. I had the dealer install new clutch and flywheel as part of the deal. That would have costed me $8k out of pocket.

8. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Thanks guys for all these answers. This is what I was looking for. I am going to look at it in person probably this Saturday. I allready spotted the rubberised coating on the pictures. Is there a way to fix this? The clutch and belts are feshly done.

This SD or Leonardo tool will be a problem. I live 8 hrs from any shop that has it. If only they were regular OBDII I would be able to work on it myself. Let's hope that if I buy there will be no bad surprise in the future.

I'm not expecting a pristine car because the price is very reasonable but I want to know as much as possible about them before I go there.

9. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    If I were 8 hours away from diagnostics I would be thinking about a Coupe with 3 pedals.

10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I don't want a coupe! What is different a coupe or convertible for diagnostic??? The car I'm lookig for is a 3 pedal.

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The issue is the top. More complicated with switches and actuators. Also more challenging to get to the fuel pumps and roll over valves.

You can do 95% of the work with just an OBD2 reader. The SD is needed for the 2-5% of repairs that are sensor dependent such as the ABS/ASR braking system and sensors and the suspension sensors. Most everything else can be done with an OBD2 and mechanic skills.

12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #12 godabitibi, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    That is great. I thought everything needed SD or Leonardo. No problem then.

The top can't be really more complicated than my 500SL. Electrical, OBD2 and hydraulics are not really a problem for me.

My last big Ferrari job was my Testarossa differential which went very nicely except for parts price ;) It didn't break, I replaced it as preventive maintenance.

13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    So, I guess they have the same OBD2 data link connector on the driver side like all post 1996 cars.

14. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano

360 is a great car. Very dependable and a blast to drive in the gate shifted version. You will love it. There is plenty of info on this forum concerning DIY fixes or detailing so don't worry about accessing info. Enjoy in good health!

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    OBD was mandated by federal emissions laws for all cars sold after 1/1/1996. So, yes it has OBDII and that is useful.

I don't usually advocate 3 pedal over F1 but Curt made a good point. If you are 8 hours from a shop a 3 pedal has less possible errors. I have had my F1 for over 10 years and I haven't had any problems but it is undoubtedly inspected annually (or so) when I take it in for fluids. If you get the F1 set up properly they aren't an issue.

16. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #16 godabitibi, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm back from my trip to look at the 360.

As I expected it the car was not pristine, not a pampered car. Looks more like a young guy car. Suspension has been replaced and lowered. Side lights are blackened. I can tell the car had larger wheels before. A lot of panels have been resprayed and some poorly. The car still present very good out in the sun for the man on the street.

Interior in very good condition except for all the sticky stuff.

It drives hard compared to my other Ferraris probably due to suspension mods. Great sound but performance were deceiving compared to the TR. I didn't feel much acceleration push in the seat back, more like my 308, not impressed. When I came back to the dealer the CEL came on.

Also cable shifter is VERY different from the older shaft type. All in all the car drives nice and look good but needs a lot of TLC. Visual impact of a yellow on black convertible is awesome.

I can bring it up to my standards with not much investment but it didn't really hit the soft spot for me. I passed on this one.

Now I think I would like to try a F1 to compare and one with stock suspension.

But on the way back I found my helicopter. I'm almost sure she will be the one I'll buy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    At 30k you will need headers

Stay away from lowered

Any paint work will make it almost impossible to resell

Sticks are not that easy to use, do they look cool? Hell yes

Clutch and belts are just money, adjust price accordingly

If it's thrashed go for the next one