550/575 vs. 4C? | FerrariChat

550/575 vs. 4C?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by niv06290, Oct 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. niv06290

niv06290 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012
    I know - completely different kinds of cars - but I'm torn between a 550/575 and an Alfa 4C. On the one hand, we have the traditional V12 Berlinetta, on the other, the flappy-paddle turbo track car. Whatever I get, it won't be a garage queen, but I don't plan to track it. I guess I'm trying to balance 'smiles per mile', vs. cost of ownership. My head is telling me the 4C would be more fun, and less expensive to run, but my heart wants a 'traditional' Ferrari. What to do? Thoughts/opinions are welcome!

Thanks!

Niv

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Not comparable in any way. One gt cruising comfortable car and other hard core sports car. Are you going to road tip with another person and luggage? Canyon carve empty roads by yourself? Not even similar pricing.

Btw, im torn between ariel atom and tail fin Eldorado. Which should I get? Lol

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    for track work - 4C no question. the 550's are great cars but a tad heavy for the track.

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    he said hes not planning on tracking

5. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Well then, that's the answer.

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    These kinds of threads always amaze me. Why on earth would you solicit opinions from unknown people from the web on a major purchase.

Go drive them both and write the check for the one you want. Period. End of story.

7. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    Those cars are so different that you should just find a nice owner of each and ride/drive.

Unless you have tons of disposable cash, exotic cars are a very emotional purchase and you really ought to shoot for the one you have always admired. It sounds like the 550/575 may be that car for you, because it has been around and chances are you have admired it since the day it was released.

You can always get a 4C later.

8. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    550/575 are (future) classics.
    4C can not be compared, a better comparison would be the 8C.
    But do not forget, 550/575 are GT cars, made for long, fast journeys and the 4C/8C are more like pure sports cars.

9. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    +1!!

10. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Pricing is way off too. A year ago they would have been pretty close.

Have you considered a 360?

11. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Make sure you fit in the 4C. Lovely car. I am too tall at 6'-1". My eye level is above the glass window edge.

The 550 is amazing.

Robb

12. niv06290

niv06290 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012
    Thanks all for the hints. In fact, I did drive a 360 about a year ago. It was 'very' harsh in town, not all that exciting on the freeway - but on the backroads ~ one of the most amazing automotive experiences of my life. It's an ancient cliche - but a 360 seems to be telling you 'drive me hard' in a situation like that.

Alas, I've gotten to the age where I've 'been there, done that' with sports cars - so I'm going to start looking for a nice 550.

13. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    550/575 will go up in value and 4c will most likely dive down. since you are not tracking I would get the Ferrari. no question

14. maseraticoupe

maseraticoupe Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    Texarkana
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Crisp
    The 4C is very harsh especially if you think the 360 ride was harsh. Good luck with the search

15. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I can't decide if I like Monet or Picasso better. Thoughts?
    If you think the 360 was harsh then I'd rule out the 4c.

16. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I was at an Italian car show recently (last month). Among the 70+ Italian cars there, were 2 4Cs.

Beautiful cars, attracting lots of attention.

However, at the end of the show, when they started up the engines, and were preparing to leave, I was amazed at the sound - not in a good way. At startup and idle, the 4Cs sounded like tractor engines. Horrible noise. I didn't hear them rev, or accellerate as they left the show - perhaps at full throttle they sound good. However, at idle, they sounded like a 1950 John Deere.

Sid

P.S - I like Monet better than Picasso. And before anyone asks - I like Mozart better than Bach.

17. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I would never been torn between the two. I can understand wanting to own both of them, though.

Drive them, and make up your own mind.

Onno

18. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    well... a nice 550 is $150k ++++..... 575 around $100k and a 4c is $60k ?

19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I saw one leave a show recently (though didn't hear it idle) and she didn't sound too sweet under acceleration either IMO. (I guess what you might expect from a turbo 4?).

Of these choices I would definitely go with a 550 but that's just me.

20. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Of course, you can not compare the 2 engines, a 4 cylinder vs a 12. Hamburger vs Fillet Mignon.
    The 8C is more comparable.

21. bldscud

bldscud Karting

Aug 19, 2011
    Washington DC Area
    At startup and idle, the 4Cs sounded like tractor engines. Horrible noise. I didn't hear them rev, or accellerate as they left the show - perhaps at full throttle they sound good. However, at idle, they sounded like a 1950 John Deere.

I have a 4C, and I have exactly the same reaction - at idle they sound like a tractor. At higher RPM they sound great, but you have to put up with the idling sound. As much as I dislike the tractor sound, I am willing to tolerate it for the incredible fun I get from the car.

22. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    If you get the 4C and you see a 550 at a red light what will you think? Buying any sports car is about passion, not logic, get what you love and have no regrets. Having said that it doesn't mean you shouldn't do your research before buying any used Ferrari so you know what you need to keep her.

23. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    To gain perspective.

24. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    +575M
    I own a 2004 575M and a 1998 355 F1 GTS. They are my sixth and third Ferrari.

I checked out the Alfa 4C and bought a 2005 Honda S2000 for under $20K. The Honda is a better driver IMHO. I have owned MGs, Triumphs, a Jensen-Healey, two Fiat Spiders, a few Porsches, and an Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. The Honda delivers everything those cars inspired.

The Alfa 4C would be a good once a month car like an Ariel Atom.

My 575M is a keeper for me. It is a true GT car that I daily drive, and wouldn't blink at a cross country trip.

If you are willing to ante up for a really well sorted 550 or 575M you won't look back if that's the type of car your looking for.

The added bonus is the 550 and 575M are appreciating currently.