How to Remove a Clear Bra? | FerrariChat

How to Remove a Clear Bra?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Bob in Texas, Jul 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My new to me 430 arrives this week and I'm pretty sure I'll need to remove the existing clear bra to put a new one on. The existing bra is pretty beat up and I'm hoping the paint is ok underneath.

Im looking for any tips or tricks on how to remove the coating and then what products to use to remove any remaining glue.

Anyone done this themselves?

2. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Patience and a heat gun. Not too hot. Just enough to make the film release. Experiment on an out of site area link the lowest part of a painted panel where film is applied. After removing film, wash, claybar, and wax. Try REJEX it works well. Let it cure over night in a garage, buff, enjoy clean car.

3. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks netman! Just what I was looking for.

4. Envious Eric

Envious Eric Karting

Sep 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    -do it outside in the sun
    -pull up and towards your body in the opposite direction you are lifting the film from the paint, not in the direction you want to remove. (dont fold it over and pull). Its a lift and pull technique so you can hopefully get the glue to remove with the film and not leave any behind
    -3m adhesive remover is good to remove remnant glue, or a 3m eraser wheel works sometimes as well.
    -wash the car
    -polish the car
    -reapply a clear bra
    -protect the car with a coating

Thats what I would recommend my clients who still want the front end protected. A full front with wrapped edges will not show lines like a standard kit will.

5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks eric. It took me a minute to understand the pulling technique. I think I get it. Gonna try it this weekend. A little bit apprehensive. I could get the clear bra professionals to do this at $60/hour, but I think I can manage.

6. XPEL

XPEL Karting
    BANNED

Mar 26, 2013
    Worldwide
    #6 XPEL, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While we always recommend a professional install and removal, if you want to remove yourself, I'd recommend steam, heat and patience...Also remove in this fashion shown below in the picture.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks xpel! We've already been to the xpel shop in Austin to talk about removal and install. We're gonna try removal, then have them install the new one. Appreciate the graphic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. ncm6cabrio

ncm6cabrio Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 28, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike M.
  9. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thank you for the link! I'm checking it out now

...b

10. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I chickened out and asked xpel to remove the full front bra. It came off VERY easy and it was done in a little over an hour. Incredible. That's the positive

The negative is that there were a lot of nicks in the paint underneath and i need to get the hood and bumper resprayed. We have no idea what brand of film was on there before or how long it was on the car. I'd give it a C minus for protection

So a respray and then some waiting period (the shop does exotics in Austin and they bake the paint). I'll see what time they say before re-applying a film (xpel)

11. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #11 Bob in Texas, Sep 10, 2015
  12. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #12 Bob in Texas, Oct 4, 2015
    Here's an update..
    The car has been in the shop for 3 weeks and comes home tomorrow. It was a bit pricey but will be purdy. I guess the OCD in me has me plotting a back-roads way home since there is construction and rock haulers all along the normal routes.

The paint shop said 3 months before i can safely put on the new Xpel. Guess it'll be a weekend drive thru the neighborhood to keep the tires from flat-spotting until december. Gonna be a long fall...

Some pics from about 7 days ago...

13. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Excellent! Glad it will be done and home soon! Those months will fly by and you will be out on the road enjoying it in no time!

Keep us posted...

14. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks Scott. Im sure you're right, it'll g quick. but jeez, 3 months...

15. GDVBR8N

GDVBR8N Rookie

Apr 24, 2013
    Milwaukee< WI
    Full Name:
    Robert H. Blondis
    For whatever reason, the prior owner had the side windows of my 360 covered with black film. I hate the stuff, and would love to get it off cleanly. The film on the passenger side is starting to curl away from the window just a bit-enough to give me hope! Can any fellow FCs give me a tip on how to get this crap off of the glass without scratching or gouging the glass? Thanks in advance.

16. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I removed window tint on my 360. I used a hair dryer to warm it up and it pulled right off. Hopefully it'll be as easy for you.
    Go to YouTube, there are videos demonstrating how to do it. That's what I used

17. ncm6cabrio

Owner

Jul 28, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike M.
    You can try a hand-held steamer (used to remove wrinkles from clothes) - they work great to remove tint. YouTube has some good videos...

Cheers!

18. ncm6cabrio

Owner

Jul 28, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike M.
    Haha! A neighborhood drive is better than none! I can wish lots of rain for your area so it won't feel like you really lost any driving time! :)

19. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Karting

Sep 23, 2009
    Atlanta
    Within a few weeks I should have the editing done on some video we shot weeks back that outlined how to safely and properly remove clear bra. I'll share it once we have it complete.

20. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks Jean-Claude! It'll be interesting to see and good for folks who stumble on this thread looking for the same answers.

21. ECHO CHARLIE

ECHO CHARLIE Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    Make sure of your wait time , to be sure the paint has cured.

Edward

22. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Karting

Sep 23, 2009
    Atlanta
  23. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Hey.. the search function worked!

Thanks for asking the question and the tips. I'm need to pull mine before I pull the bumper to have it repaired and re-sprayed. Debating if I'm going to put one back on at a later date.

Was looking if anyone had any suggestions so this thread is great.

24. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #24 Bob in Texas, Feb 26, 2016
    Forgot I started this thread. Glad the suggestions help. Great place for advice, isn't it.

It's been 4 months since the repaint and time for a new clear bra/PPF. I hesitated since the paint job was perfect and i liked the look but also considered how it would look with no protection.

So two weeks ago it was off to Xpel in Austin and a day later all was done from the windshield forward, mirrors, rear wheel wells and the edge to the lower intakes infront of the rear wheels. Looks nice, can ya tell, well yeah a little, compared to perfect paint, but now it's protected. Edges were wrapped where they could, nice job all around. I read everything I could about the various brands and it kept coming back the the Xpel Ultimate. And for me it offered a thicker film which presumably would offer better protection. So "ultimately" it was a no-brainer.

Here are some pics of Chris and Evan applying the finishing touches. Nice guys and great craftsman. One pic shows how the previous (unknown brand) had yellowed over time.

I'd show y'all the finished car... but ya couldn't tell anything in a pic.