Buyer Beware - 550 Maranello, ZFFZS49AXY0124571 | FerrariChat

Buyer Beware - 550 Maranello, ZFFZS49AXY0124571

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 134282, Oct 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I already posted a reply in this old thread, but it's too late - this car went through Manheim in Atlanta today, for a reported $122,000.

While I don't myself have the picture, my source is solid; the car's steering column has simply a metal plate into which the aforementioned fake VIN is stamped (just a stainless steel square with the fake VIN). The aforementioned VIN, ZFFZS49AXY0124571, suggests that the car in question is a US-spec 2000 550 Maranello, even though 124571 falls into the late 2001 range of Ferrari serial numbers.

However, the real 124571 is actually a Euro-spec 2000 550 Maranello, whose complete VIN is ZFFZR49B000124571, and the real 124571 is Blu Tour de France with crema leather, not Rosso Corsa with tan leather.

Off the record, one broker was cautioned to stay away from the car, and another broker showed the first broker the area in the engine bay where the original VIN was ground off. A condition report showed evidence of a repaint on almost every panel.

I already contacted Craig at Exotic Motors Midwest (about the car in general, not that I already know it's ****ed up) - I have no idea if he even knows that this car was restamped, and I certainly don't want to allege that they are the ones who retamped it.

This unfortunate, restamped, storied car was sold at the auction through a wholesaler called Platinum Motor Cars who also today no-saled a salvage-historied 512 TR (91449).

2. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    Wow, thank you for sharing this invaluable info with all prospective buyers.

Our community is very indebted to you for your wealth of information. Best regards.

Rob

3. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    It really is, genuinely, my pleasure; "our community" has done more for me than words could ever truly describe.

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    To make things clear, here are the original and correct birth details:

124571 is a 550 Maranello.
    ZFFZR49B0000124571.
    Assembly number 41299.
    Engine type F133 A.
    Gearbox number 168634.
    Bridgestone tires.
    Warranty Start 29th May 2001.
    Warranty Ending 29th May 2003.
    Delivered to Rossocorsa S.r.l. in Milan, Italy.
    Original exterior color Blu Tour de France 522.
    Interior Crema 3997 (cream).
    Carpets Blu 168 (blue).
    Colored dashboard Blu Scuro 3282 (dark blue).
    Colored pillars and roof Blu Scuro 3282 (dark blue).
    Piping Blu Scuro 3282 (dark blue).
    Steering wheel Blu Scuro 3282 (dark blue).

Marcel Massini

Ryan S. likes this.
  5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    So, just out of curiosity, are you saying that no Ferrari with VIN ZFFZS49AXY0124571 exists, as the s/n (last 6 digits) supposedly is unique?

Could the re-stamping be legal, or is it certainly illegal?

6. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Oh my, this is going to get complicated real fast. Thanks for the info.

7. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, the restamping is most certainly not legal!

Well, technically, since the aforementioned red/tan 550 Maranello was restamped as ZFFZS49AXY0124571, a Ferrari with that VIN does now exist - but no Ferrari ever left the factory with that VIN! The serial number, 124571, is unique to ONE Ferrari, a Blu Tour de France/crema Euro-spec 550 Maranello whose complete and correct VIN, as posted above by Marcel Massini, is ZFFZR49B000124571, and not ZFFZS49AXY0124571. For those interested, you can run that fake VIN and see that the check digit is incorrect - thus, whoever stamped the red/tan car did a shoddy, amateur job of faking it.

I don't know why it was restamped. The likeliest possibilities are that it's either a salvaged or stolen car, but I can only surmise. Part of the reason I posted this thread was with the hope that the new owner would step forward, albeit perhaps with some unfortunate egg on his face, and admit that he's now in possession of what I doubt he knew was a restamped, storied car. In that case, I could then hope to get detailed pictures of the car, or maybe even inspect it, to learn its true identity.

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    besides the vin stamp to the passenger side of the motor .. where else on these cars is the VIN stamped ?

9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My 456 was a repaired car after the 1997 was totalled, the car autorities in Norway said there could be done a "body/chassis number replacement", so a 1999 456M ba sbought from Germany, and the car got the registration number of the 456 and the complete car was 1999 456M (though they put the bumper and hood from the old car).

So there is a small risk it is something like this, but I doubt.

10. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #10 166&456, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    Let me see if I get this right. With registration you mean the license plate number, registered to the chassis number of the 456M; so the chassisnumber of the German car was kept? If yes, that is the only correct way of doing it legal-wise; the final car gets the identity of the chassis donor. In this case you can see it as if the German car was restored using the parts from the totalled car.
    If they kept the hood from the non-M car, then that element is not quite correct I think, as considering its identity it should be an M model.

As for the car in this topic, it is indeed most likely a car that was stolen, illegally imported, or condemned by authorities for whatever reason. Where did the vehicle come from, and what was the reason it needed a new identity? Very shady practice.

11. Prashant Jolepalem

Mar 31, 2020
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I see this car offered again for $85k. Looks clean , but it seems like selling and registration will be problematic.

12. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    where? the dealer that bought it had to sit on it for a bit. i stopped by to look at it after he bought it from manheim. then again, maybe a year later. he still had the car. he said he had to get the factory to make the correct vin column plates. car had some homemade one.

dealer has since closed and reopened under another name

13. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i could never piece together whether it was an illegal import, theft recovery, or outright stolen.

14. Prashant Jolepalem

Mar 31, 2020
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    PJ
    It’s on a Facebook group for offer. He disclosed something was wrong with the vin. I googled it and found this thread .

15. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    which group?

16. Prashant Jolepalem

Mar 31, 2020
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Wholesale car club

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    This situation is bizarre. There are multiple areas where the Vin is stamped....I would strongly doubt a 3rd party restamped every one?! Just keep going through each one until you find a discrepancy? (This comment is not directed at any one person in particular, other than maybe the seller?)

Semi-related, Carbon...your looking to get a 550? That’s awesome! I remember when you when I joined....

18. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    no, as i recall, this care was devoid of stamping in all the usual spots. all the stickers had been removed and the spots on the frame showed nothing.

19. Prashant Jolepalem

Mar 31, 2020
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    PJ
    It’s very strange . Some one bought it within a few hours of posting .

20. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    I don't see how it could be titled and registered. In Florida they would not even consider titling my 456 if the steering column plate...I had to show them the frame VIN stamping and they verified from that (I did check and frame matches column vin)......sounds like this 550 would be a tough sell!

21. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
  22. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Ryan S., Texas Forever and F456M like this.
  23. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Now it has what appears to be a correct VIN on the column and a different AN. This car could tell some stories.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the dealer here in atlanta that bought it from manheim was able to get the correct VIN tag

25. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    I talked with the seller today and he said the car came from Dubai without a VIN and received one here in the US. In his opinion, nothing unusual about it.. But he is right about one thing, if it wasn’t for the VIN issue it would be worth way more than the $140k they are asking for it.