Paint Correction in the PDX/Vancouver area | FerrariChat

Paint Correction in the PDX/Vancouver area

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by tuttavelocita, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    #1 tuttavelocita, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So I just wanted to spread the word of a paint correction shop in the PDX/Vancouver area. I've been looking for a long time and wanted to have some of the cars in my collection really gone through. Not just your typical detail cut and buff, but a real paint correction. I was considering flying in someone to do the work since i have enough cars that I wanted corrected. I then heard about Attention to Detail from a friend of mine that has to be the most meticulous car owner I know.

So I decided to give A2DNW a shot and started with my sisters 2008 Audi S4 convertible in black, the last of the V8 S4. She was visiting me from the bay area, which usually involves her convincing me to work on her car. After completing a bunch of mechanical work I dropped the car off at the shop, because i couldn't stand to look at the swirl marks anymore. This car had been driven, washed in car wash machines and then quite possibly driven through sand paper. Paul worked on that car and brought the paint back to life. It was amazing what he did and not only was I sold on his work, but my sister fell back in love with her car and has a new found understanding of how to care for her paint.

Next came up my 993 Turbo, a black car that had been driven and enjoyed thoroughly since the first owners purchase in 1996. The car had been touched up by a previous owner and had some good battle scars. Paul spent A LOT of time on the car working his magic making sure he brought the paint back to life. With swirl marks, light scratches and water spots galore, he had his work cut out. Upon seeing the car I was amazed and sold on Pauls work and more importantly his art form of bring paint back to life and protecting it from idiot drivers like myself.

So after seeing what he did with those two cars I gave him my Audi S4, that i purchased as a car for my mother to use when she was visiting from London and also any other family members. To say this car was driven hard, put away wet and flogged with wet and dry spaghetti noodles is an understatement. He went through the paint of this car with a fine tooth comb and even fixed imperfections that were on top of the clear bra itself. The car looks amazing and even after running it through car washes for an entire year, being driven by my mother, sister and cousins; with a little maintenance at his shop for the cost of a low end detail he made it look just like it had on the day i picked it up after his full correction.

Not surprising enough Attention to Detail also does new car prep thus negating the dealers washing our cars with rocks and drying it with steel wool. We all know that cars never show up perfect from the factories, with travel from their respective homelands via boat or planes. Since Ive started "testing" and using Attention to detail I have purchased a couple new cars. First up was a Mercedes G63 in white, a deceiving color that shows dirt very easily, especially when you like to go off-roading. Paul spent a couple days on it due its size and ceramic coated the car once done with the correction. It has made cleaning the car much easier and added a depth to the white you normally don't see. Next up was a surprise purchase on my part of an AMG GTs Edition 1 in Selenite Gray. This car must have been touched up at port once arriving state side. Paul removed overspray, cleaned up some bad blends and removed all the cosmoline under the car. He also did 2 levels of paint coating which really brought out the depth of the paint, bringing out the flakes and just did the car justice.

Ive included pictures of all the cars and progress pics I received from Paul which was a nice touch. He is very humble about his work, which I appreciate and is very communicative when my cars where in his care. Im always very hesitant leaving a car with someone as they are my babies, but Im happy to say I've found someone locally that can make my cars look better than the day they drove off the show room floor and give them that extra care that they deserve!

Currently my 458 is with him getting the full works, including removing the clear bra and correcting everything, then also my 1985 Renault R5 T2 is going to him after the mechanical refresh i just completed.

Thanks for reading and if you guys are in need of paint correction I highly suggest looking Attention to detail up. I also want to clarify that Im writing this on my own accord and I am not benefiting in any way shape or form, this is just to express my level of satisfaction with a business in the area, opposed to the usual horror stories we read about.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jfeder

jfeder Rookie

Mar 13, 2015
    I don't have any clout on the message board. In fact, this might actually be my first post here, ever. But I lurk. This is something I'm willing to speak up for. Paul is legitimately the best detailer in the PNW. He's not just a detailer, he's basically an artist for what he can do with a car. He's the person I would trust to touch my cars. If you want your paint fixed, and you want it done by the best, he's the guy. Full stop.

3. mqandil

mqandil Rookie

May 19, 2015
    #4 mqandil, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +1

I will have to agree completely with what you said. I ran into Paul last year, as I was looking for a good detail shop to take care of my babies. I have a large selection of sport cars, mainly Porsches, and for years I used the detailer Sunset Porsche was using with mixed results. Never really been happy with the work and I searched the entire Portland Vancouver area for an alternative but without much luck. Aside from the lack of talent or availability of a good detailer, I really could not trust my cars to be detailed or worked on by anyone. My experience has not been good, as some of these detailers did a bad job and within couple of weeks I could see swirl marks & other paint imperfections pop back up, and others did actually damage the paint of my cars (scratches, nicks, burn marks, etc) and tried to cover it up. This left me not wanting anyone to work on my car and just do the work myself, but unfortunately I really don't have the time to do this regularly. After running into Paul, I was still hesitant to just hand him all of my cars to work on but I decided to take the chance and have him detail my 2015 Porsche 911 GT3 and I am glad I did. The results were impressive, and the car looked better than the day I took position of it. So I decieded to have him detail my entire car collection and I am really impressed by his work. Probably the best detailing work, I have ever seen. Aside from the quality work he does, he is also very honest man, and I won't have to ever worry about him breaking something or damaging the paint then cover it up. You can count on Paul to tell you the complete truth, even if he made a mistake. To me this is his best attribute besides being very talented. Really a very humble, genuine, and talented individual.

I also worked out a deal with Paul to maintain all of my cars on a regular basis for a very reasonable fee, which only takes less than 2 hours per car. On average he maintains most of my cars twice a month and they stay looking perfect all the time.

Finally i would like to emphasize, and the same as the writer of this post, I have no affiliation to Paul or his business or have any financial gains from sharing my opinion with all of you. This is the least I can do for someone who takes great care of my babies.

If you are in the Portoand area, you won't find a better place to take care of your babies like Paul does. Keep up the good work Paul and hopefully others would find my review helpful. Mark

4. jfeder

jfeder Rookie

Mar 13, 2015
    #5 jfeder, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Good point made by the others that I should've said earlier. I too have no business relationship nor do I have anything financially to gain by recommending him. I simply believe he's an honest guy that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. It's rare when you find someone you trust with your cars, and when I do, I'm happy to recommend them far and wide.

5. 12.3:1

12.3:1 Rookie

Dec 6, 2005
    SNJ
    i've been following this dude for quite a while from afar...literally across the country.

i wish i was local to him. no BS - the output is spectacular and that goes against my normal strong recommendation to physically inspect results for yourself prior to making any recommendations. in an odd niche industry with a ton of bull****ters and nonsense, it's nice to see someone who doesn't floss a fabricated life or look for the easy way out, but just turns out crazy quality car after car.

6. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Agreed, it amazes what some shops put out and they get away with it because of a much more maintained social media presence. When my friend told me about Paul and his work I was going to talk to him about coming down to my warehouse to do the work as I didn't want my cars out of my possession. But after seeing the level of care he put into each car, my worries and doubts were put at ease. Glad to see others even from the other side of the lower 48 are appreciating his work.

7. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Google is not helping with the location of his shop or a phone #.
    Is he a mobile detainers out of Beaverton and Lake O ?

8. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    No he isn't a mobile detailer....he is located just on the other side of the columbia in Vancouver. To clarify he does more than just details, he does paint correction which no one really does in the greater portland area.

Attention 2 Detail NW. Attention to Detail NW | Opti Coat in Portland & Vancouver

Hopefully I don't get in trouble for posting the link..... he is the first name that pops up when you google Attention 2 detail NW

9. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Awesome thanx
    I tried the talk into the mic option, and got wild stuff from all over ;)

10. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    So after a week or two with the 458.....having the paint perfect makes it feel like a whole new car again when walking up to it!!! My Renault R5 T2 is over at Attention 2 Detail NW and is getting the works!

11. 12.3:1

Dec 6, 2005
    SNJ
    that Renault is so choice!

12. 12.3:1

Dec 6, 2005
    SNJ
    bumping this because you guys really are lucky to have this guy in your area. i am truly jealous.

i hope everyone spreads the word up there.

13. Donfjones

Donfjones Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    Kent, Washington
    Full Name:
    Don
    So what kind of $!$ on average?

308DJ

14. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Hi.....each car varies and he would have to see it. But he has packages ranging from 500 to a couple thousand depending on the level you want. Full concourse packages are on the other end of the spectrum, but as long as you follow his guidelines on proper care after his work, when you take in your car for a touch up it can be as low as 120 upto 200 and it brings back to the original shape as long as nothing traumatic happened.

15. Korntera

Korntera Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Happy Valley/Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I had Paul do my 2007 Aston Martin Vantage that had some minor paint damage, Paul did wonders and minus a few rock chips made it look like a better than new car. My only issue is after the paint correction it's hard to protect.
    I just dropped my Lambo off at another shop today to get a paint correction and Modesto applied so I'm curious to compare results between the two.

16. 12.3:1

Dec 6, 2005
    SNJ
    what color are the cars?

no coating on the Vantage?

17. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Curious to know how much they are charging for modesto......im always very wary of anyones claims that a coating will protect a vehicle. Only thing that will protect paint is proper care.

18. Mpower4life

Mpower4life Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    #20 Mpower4life, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Remember, a jet black car like that has really soft paint in general. What I mean by that is because of the black color, it shows everything. Some clears are harder and softer than others varying from the manufacturer. A metallic will hide the defects that actually still exist on the clear coat. You have to use the utmost care to prevent marring and scratching and the coatings are not miracles. They still scratch. This other car being a metallic and a Lamborghini, it will inevitably hold up better as its a "harder" paint. Comparing those two is not apples to apples.

19. 12.3:1

Dec 6, 2005
    SNJ
    i don't know about that brand of coating, but i (yes, as a random guy on the internet) can personally 100% vouch for the coatings i have on my vehicles, that they protect the vehicles as they advertise, though i know a lot of companies make outrageous claims and you'd think their product was a force field of some type.

i have had bird poop sit on the hood in the middle of the summer on my wife's phantom gray Q5. came back to it a few days later and when i wiped it off, it appeared to etch BAD....then two weeks later, the "etching" was in fact 100% gone. it never etched the coating. that is an amazing feature.

if that was the paint, wax or a sealant - it would have etched, guaranteed. that stuff would have burned right through anything else imo.

20. Mpower4life

Mpower4life Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    both of your vehicles are metallic grey correct? again to my point that it has its place on certain paints but qualifying a car is also important as the cost/benefit of doing a black car with a coating is not worth it. Proper maintenance is key and people do not realize how fragile paints are. There is a method to specifically maintaining the paint. etching disappearing without being compounded? Come on now.... again that paint is going to be easier to deal with a bird bomb issue than others.

21. AutoConcierge

AutoConcierge Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Willis
    As mentioned Paul's best attributes are separate from his skill level and tenacity when working on someone's vehicle, the honesty factor is huge as many in the detailing field doctor photos and present a image that is far from the reality of what some will experience.

Paul will not compromise on the quality............. he came to me a few years ago for training in paint correction and the other specific skills he observed me doing on the many cars I work on in my shop.

He has progressed quickly from a novice to someone who has worked side by side with me on occasion on high end vehicles, some have mentioned no affiliation with Paul but in proper disclosure we are good friends who are like minded in a singular focus to do the job right.

On a side note I see "Coatings" being mentioned, these products once applied need VERY specific maintenance regimen to come close to the claims I see in our industry like "It's practically the same stuff used on the space shuttle lasts FOREVER and your car cannot be scratched."

Due diligence must be done and common sense applied when reading claims about certain products......and who is making the claims as some may be affiliated with said coating company.

22. 12.3:1

Dec 6, 2005
    SNJ
    100% fact. it disappeared after appearing to be severely etched. it wasn't actually etched, though. common attribute with that coating that is documented. you have access to Chris Thomas, ask him if you think i'm full of crap...which if you do, shame on you! and it has nothing to do with the color, either. under intense scrutiny which you are WELL aware that i am capable of, the area was flawless.

i'm not going to argue here about coatings. this thread is here to praise your operation. but, there are thousands of people on the forums who have coatings, no dog in any fight and are extremely pleased with how much better their cars look and are to maintain. i'm not saying they are a miracle product so please, nobody put that in my mouth in case they are thinking of doing that. i specifically stated that marketing is a major issue with the coating "scene".

the best solution for anyone who is curious about coatings is to get it themselves; get it installed by a properly trained installer after doing their due diligence and maintain the car with basic common sense habits.

then you can make an informed decision on whether or not it's worth it or not.

23. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    This is the biggest thing, some paints are softer than others and will scratch much easier. I know my 993TT which is black will show even the smallest scratch, compared to my GTS that i just sold which was a metallic grey and hid some of my stupidest moves.