355 Vs 993 | FerrariChat

355 Vs 993

Discussion in '348/355' started by madturk, Oct 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I wanted to get an idea of what the fchat people think about this comparison.
    In my opinion as an owner of a 355, as someone who has never owned a 993 but driven several 993's, owned other Porsches and a big fan of Porsche in general the Ferrari 355 is far superior in every aspect of the comparison.
    Keep in mind this is not a comparison of 355 vs 993tt. We are comparing 355 with 993.
    355 is prettier, faster, more fun without a doubt. The scream alone....
    The cost of ownership in the 355 is more expensive as the engine service every 15k is expensive. Parts prices should be about same if not more on the Porsche.
    It seems the Rlisters think you can only drive the Ferrari on perfect sunny days for about 5 miles and the rest of the time just keep it in the garage shining it. The reputation of Ferrari owners and dependability is bad. Total stereotyping us.
    I ask for the fchat opinion on this because there is a discussion on Rlist on this subject. Naturally, the Rlisters are fanboys to the 993 and most favor towards the 993. What was more surprising to me was most stated if they get a Ferrari it would be a 360 or a 430. The 430 thing I sort of get but I've never seen more fans of the 360 than the Rlist.

Thoughts??

Would you trade your 993 for a F355? - Page 8 - Rennlist Discussion Forums

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    They drive Porsches, what do they know [about Ferrari]?

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

355's are very nice. pretty, sound wonderful and have exotic looks.

993's in the c2s or c4s config are pretty bad azz sports cars. not "exotic" but really fantastic sports cars and seriously bulletproof.

they do very different things but I for me, it would be a 50/50 shot...I would love either.

4. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    #4 355dreamer, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently sold my 993. It was a must own car for me, and I had to have one.

I only kept it for about 9 months before its spot in the garage was lost to a Maserati GranTurismo S.

There's no denying the 993s are built like tanks and that they are absolutely stunningly beautiful. If I had the funds and the space, I would have loved to have kept it.

Still, it's no Ferrari 355. (Trust me, I've owned 5). :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Flavio_C likes this.
  5. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    #5 355dreamer, Oct 15, 2015
    michaelz and ShineKen like this.
  6. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    To me, they are both complementary cars to have in a very nice garage.

I would put neither above the other. On reliability and expense the 993 wins. On exhaust note, the 355 wins.

Now, if looking at the tt... I would take a tt hands-down.

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

agree with you dave. would go on to say that any true car lover should have a Porsche and a Ferrari sharing space in the garage.

I have a 930 turbo and a 512 boxer...they seem to enjoy the company of the other:)

8. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I am thinking of a cayman either the new GT4 I believe its called or a used race car. The GT4 is just amazing
    Porsche driving experience is down the street from me, just far enough to warm up the tires.

One of my friends who works for porsche has 2 supercharged caymans one with a 3.6 motor if I remember correct. Boy do they handle like on rails

Great street car for everyday. My old toyota has 150k on it 12 years old so time is of the essence

:)

993 sure why not

9. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    Have had both, still have the F355.

The 993 felt strong and was certainly well built, but I was surprised how much work I ended up doing on it over 4 years. Not complaining as it was 20 years old, but worth noting all the same.

The F355 is in another league in terms of occasion. I definitely don't want to drive it every day in the same fashion as I did the 993, but when I do it is so much more special.

I expect the F355 to cost more to run as what it gives me is on another level entirely.

In summary: I felt the 993 slightly underwhelmed me when it came to the Porsche 911 experience, the F355 on the other hand over-delivers when it comes to the Ferrari experience.

One I love and admire, the other I just admired.

10. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I wanted a 993 TT originally...then I watched the prices literally double in about a year and a half. I was looking for a 993 C2S and started looking at cars from the same era and was surprised at how affordable the 355 was.

I have zero regrets with my purchase. I'd still like a 993 C2S (or turbo if the market corrects) but never as a replacement to the 355.

11. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I've never driven a 993 but based on looks alone it is my favorite Porsche.

Back when I was buying my first F355 it was between that and 993TT. (F355 won on sound alone).

Would love to have a 993 along side it some day.

12. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    I own both. I have had the 993 C4S for more than 8 years and the 355 CH for 18 months. I will probably not sell either or them.
    Very different cars. 993 is reliable as a golf and will go anywhere. 355 is on a whole different sensorial plane. Performance wise 993 far easier exploit, you have to work harder with 355. Very different engine characters. Low rev grunt in 993 and top end rage in 355. 993 gearbox is silky smooth.

In period the 993 Cup seem to have slightly edged 355 CH although not that many datapoint exist.

Tarek307 likes this.
  13. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I have driven the 993TT as well as a C2S and C4S. They're built like tanks...but in no way as exhilarating as the 355 is.

A large portion of it has to do with the way the 355 sings at redline.

14. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    some people don't like the high pitched exhaust, me included.

355 is better looking, but in my opinion, thats where it ends.

I'll keep my 993TT, unless someone wants to trade a f430 6spd manual.

OP, pretty poor form to stir the pot in the way you have.

15. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    I have never had anything as old as a 993 (only had a 987) but my opinion is the general idea of Porsche vs Ferrari still holds.

There is no sports car better engineered and built than a Porsche. Drive one, and the precision and quality is evident from the special flat-6 noise, the taut-as-a-bridge chassis, down to every last detail in the interior. With a P-car the money you spend is evident in every way. No corners are cut, Porsche is the finishing school of sports cars.

There is no sports car that screams "special occasion" like a Ferrari. The F355's build quality is backyard-monkey-grade compared to the 993, but the insane flat-crank V8 noise and the high-maintenance-mistress styling are worlds away from the industrial feel of the P-car. Somehow it all works. That such a crudely built car can perform the way it does is mind-boggling. The steering is fairly responsive, and the car is nimble despite rolling and squatting and diving like a sofa. The interior smells like a suitcase that costs "more than you can afford, pal." The value for money is questionable--you have to "get" Ferrari to feel the value.

F355 vs 993 is simply a question of Ferrari or Porsche.

I should add that F355s are not suitable for daily use like modern Porsches are, but if brought up to date on maintenance it can be driven with some reliability. I would not drive any 20-year-old car in heavy rain--not even a Toyota; I don't trust weather sealing with rubber that old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    IMHO - If you enjoy under steer, Porsche is the only way to go.

I've owned four Porsches, and currently have a 355 and a 575M, I guess I have a preference.

17. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I also want to mention that I'm dying to buy either a 993 or a 964. For me it is a must own car. It is so special in its own way.

18. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    well articulated. anecdotal, but my 993TT is tight as a drum in the rain. no leaks, twitches, or otherwise.

19. PKF355

PKF355 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    sOCal
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    #19 PKF355, Oct 15, 2015
    Had a '97 993TT at the same time with my '99 355F1 Berlinetta for awhile.

Matter of fact is that 993TT was long gone (sold it with only 9K miles on it for less than what I paid for 355F1 at the time) but 355F1 is still with me today.

No regrets of letting 993TT go other than a monetary one.

993TT was a very solid car with strong straight line acceleration but it quickly lost that "special car" feeling which 355F1 still possesses every time I get in and drive.

Forza Ferrari!! and Porsche...there IS a substitute. :D

20. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #20 jimmym, Oct 15, 2015
    I own both. The 993 is a 1997 S with the aero kit. I have owned it 11 years. Outside of a few oil changes, one set of Bridgestone SO4's, and a different oil sending unit(which didn't actually needed to be changed in retrospect) has cost me next to nothing. It is beautiful, has a vault like build quality, drives and handles great, and has been very easy to live with. Given the fact that it has 285HP, it is no match for the power the F355 has. A 993TT is a more fair comparison. The pendulum then swings the other way.

21. Formula1r

Formula1r Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    The 993 looks great but it's not exciting to drive. Never owned one but test drove a few. It felt like a VW. :(

22. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I have a fair amount of back road twisty driving in both. They're both very good at what they do, but only one makes a memorable, fun, toy car. That car is built in Italy.

23. Sciotoboy

Sciotoboy Karting

Jan 26, 2014
    New Albany,Lake Nona
    Full Name:
    Kelly
    #23 Sciotoboy, Oct 15, 2015
    I have a C4S,tt,and 355.C4S is a great daily driver,rain or shine it's rock solid.The tt is to me the final evolution of the 930,pretty quick even by today's standards,built like a tank.The water-cooled turbos are fantastic,but the feel is different,almost clinical.The 355 seems to get prettier by the day,sounds fantastic,and as noted above,has a real sense of occasion.

24. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Ohh my.. What a beautiful collection. Love the 3.0CS and everything else in there.

25. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    My eye caught that Bimmer too... I'm a sucker for Alpina wheels. ;)

Porsche 993. Well, if you are going to got Porsche and want the ultimate expression of what that car symbolizes, that's the model. Last of the air cooled cars. Completely refined version of the design. The prices are ridiculous now. C2S or C4S models rival TT's in pricing. This is still a car that will kill the uninitiated though. Driving about any Porsche up to the 997 model takes skill and alertness. Which is why I sold mine. I didn't completely trust it.