Anyone have/had a HUMMER H1 ? | FerrariChat

Anyone have/had a HUMMER H1 ?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by HOF Ferrari, Jul 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    I am thinking of trading my H2 in on a 1998-2001 H1, anything special to look for or stay away from? Won't be driving it a ton, just always liked them, and have never owned one.

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    pass on a non turbo diesel..... struggle to keep 50-55 on the highway

3. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    Most of the ones I am looking at are the 6.5L Turbo Diesel... Thanks

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I've always wanted one too. Great examples (low mileage, unmodified) are becoming more difficult to find (of course) and are still pricey (holding their values very well).

In fact, the same goes for the H2.

Enjoy the search and keep us posted. :)

5. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    "If I wanted a Hummer I could just ask your sister."

6. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    any particular reason you want one ? the novelty wears off real fast.

7. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    Just because I have never had one........... I would keep it for a year or 2 and then sell it.

8. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    I have a pristine 2008 H2 with only 34k miles for sale, just like it left the factory, Ultra Marine limited edition.

9. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    Do you know my sister?

10. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    They are awesome but like someone said the novelty will wear off pretty quick... They are slow and with two gas tanks takes up like 100 gallons when you're refueling. I had the wagon and as big as they are there's really no space and forget about talking to anyone while you drive, is loud :)

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'd still like one - novelty wears off, I sell it.

That being said, if practicality were a factor (and it is), I'd get a 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser.

12. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    I have had Land Cruisers in the past...Much more "civilized" than an H1

13. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    Check this out....Just ran across this Ebay ad, The Autocheck listing indicates there is a "Minor Issue" with the title !!

Hummer H1 Wagon | eBay

14. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    I had one.... LOVED it!! Black Wagon, with Monsoon sound system that ROCKED!!

never had any issues with it.. Paint was better than on my Ferrari!! loved the Deflate/Inflate on tires.

passenger sits in a different time zone than driver!! like 4 feet away!! as center console houses all running gear...

had the extra jump seat installed in back so I could seat 5 (mind you jump seat is for kids.. no leg room)

you literally feel indestructible when driving it! and if you live where there is weather... you have the confidence of never getting stuck!

as others have said.. not the fastest.. but who cares!! a thousand times different than an H2, this is a REAL truck (no offense).

GM diesel, so relatively inexpensive to maintain.

good luck.

15. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I drove the Army versions. Good for the field. No fun on the roads.

16. Brewersprts

Brewersprts Karting

Aug 23, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    The H1 Alphas are a big improvement over the earlier Hunmers. They are not cheap though.

I have experience in an early version. A good friend of mine had a wagon. It was awesome. Not something you would want to drive on cross country road trips but it's way cool to ride around in. Huge and slow. Like someone earlier said, you sit very far away from your passengers because the drive train is up in the body kinda like a cab over semi truck.

They're definitely cool to drive around town in.

I'd love to have one but lately I've been thinking maybe I'd rather buy a bigger military truck if I'm going to have something to just be big and slow to drive around. The complete opposite of my supercharged Range Rover.

There was a local guy selling his huge m923. I wish I would've bought it.

17. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    I have an H1. Also used to have an H2. Can't compare the two. I would take an H1 over an H2 any day of the week.
    Yes, the H1 doesn't drive like a Merc ML, but that's part of the appeal. For offroad vehicles, it doesn't get much more exotic than an H1/Humvee. Of all the vehicles I've owned, the H1 BY FAR gets the most attention (if that's good or bad is up to you to decide) :)

18. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Is the OP still looking for a H1?

19. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Owned a '98 HMCO from '98 to '10, great trucks. '98 is the best year (outside of Alpha); upgraded interior, longer gear ratios (think highway) and last year of BTM locking diffs.

I'm sure they've all been replaced, but if it's on the original motor, the #8 head is going to crack and you're going to end up doing a Duramax conversion. Make sure you get a turbo truck.

Watch out for: transfer case vampire, replacing suspension bushings, lift pump (update to a remote one immediately), leaky CTIS, weak A/C and corrosion.

4 door hard top, 2 door and slant back ('01) are going to be the rarest.

20. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I know that this is an older thread, but I just saw it...

I owned a '99 Wagon. I absolutely loved it. I hate how bland and similar modern cars have become. Just getting into the Hummer each morning to drive to work made me smile -- everything about the it was different than other cars.

My kids and wife complained about the Hummer all the time about its lack of comfort, but, deep down, I'm sure that they secretly loved it.

"White out" pointed out most of the problem areas. Be sure to check out "The Hummer Network" (The Hummer Network :: Index) for a buyers' check list.

The only big negative I have about the Hummer (and the reason I sold mine) is that it can't really be used as a primary vehicle. It will break down, all cars do, but, unlike other, normal cars, the Hummer can be out of commission for a quite a while as parts are sourced. (Similar to our Ferraris.)

21. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Bump

So obviously these things are slow and a pain in the behind. Anyone ever drive a heavily modified one with some actual horsepower?

Are there any other motors people drop into these things to improve the driveability?

22. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    #22 henryr, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I had a 95 H1 open back, bought it new in 1995..... I had no issue's with it, but it did lack power... The alpha with the turbo was a much improved truck from what I was told, I buy another, for the fact you don't see many around... and it was a cool truck

24. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    ΙΜΗΟ the H1 is the best Hummer gen the company ever made.

PS. It looks great!!

25. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #25 msdesignltd, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I find the worst part of driving the H1 is at night with a flat wind screen the interior reflections from car headlights behind you is a virtual dealbreaker.
    However , being The King is worth the pitfall.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login