YELO 550 - a Tribute to Steve (GS) Johnson | Page 14 | FerrariChat

YELO 550 - a Tribute to Steve (GS) Johnson

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by gsjohnson, Oct 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    3rd dash console switch from the driver is a dummy in my USA 550. It was used for something in my euro 550 but I can't remember what for. Anyway how about using a Ferrari switch? Also, remember that there is no cure for water seepage down the ECU plug and into the ECU. You might not want to strap that stuff to the ECU bundle.

2. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Hi Carl-The Yelo Hot Rod is a Euro car and that switch is for the Rear Fogs. I did think about using it, but I decided I wanted to keep the rear fogs operational.
    Water? Did you forget we are in So Cal where it hasn't rained in 5 years? :) It's a $12 Bosch Relay.

F456M likes this.
  3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #328 ferraridriver, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    F456M likes this.
  4. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Electrical work is about as clean as it gets...I do have a hang nail though :)

5. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    IIRC, gs's switch cluster isn't stock, either!

6. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    #331 gsjohnson, Oct 18, 2015
  7. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Awesome! Are you getting close to driving it? If yes you need to be on the Indio Stooge list and make the trackday in November with Bill and I. That would be a great shakedown.

8. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Just did that to mine as well. Huge difference.

Like the Boss 302 pic. Yours?

9. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    #334 gsjohnson, Oct 19, 2015
  10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    VERY COOL!!! Just about all that you can get these days are the HTGC 19.5mm sway bars. the FHP ones are really freaking hard to get.

FWIW, I have John's steering ECU and it's a game changer. You will love it.

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #336 308 GTB, Oct 19, 2015
  12. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Barry,

Was 1 cm the perfect amount? To me there is no way to tell without trial and error. My foot-o-meter says I need more than 1cm? I can't tell. I made these ghetto spacers from 3/4" aluminum plate stock. So mine are almost twice the size as yours. What do you think? Could you us a thicker plate? 1st test will be late braking Plugzit at CVR in 3 weeks. I guess we will see. I spaced the clutch too. I think it will work better for when I LFB.

13. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #338 fatbillybob, Oct 19, 2015
  14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    FBB, for me the 1.0 cm spacer works well. I don't catch the top of my racing shoe under the gas pedal if I'm not precise with rolling the sole of my shoe, It feels like my F355 Challenge. But I can understand the trial and error approach using washers, like Dave suggested in the other thread, before fabricating a spacer. A thicker spacer might suit your 550.

15. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Hi Carl-The Springs and Bar are original OEM FHP. Nothing but the best for the Yelo Hot Rod :) I'm sure you can figure out that the Yelo Hot Rod is not ready for its' initial shake down just yet.

16. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
  17. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    These are standard fitment race springs. What's the Ferrari tax for the springs, has anyone considered getting the spring rates tested ($10-20)? Chances are they're repainted Eibach springs anyhow, ERS springs can be had for $50-100 each.

18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #343 308 GTB, Oct 19, 2015
    The spacer is vital, GS. My 550's previous owner had an off-track excursion at the Watkins Glen bus stop when his foot got caught under the gas pedal while downshifting. The entire lower half of the driver's side was rock-blasted. All that remains now is a scraped left front caliper...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    You may want to do some more homework. There are several threads with the posted tested spring rates. One look at the springs will tell you these are not eibachs, nor have they been repainted.

20. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    My mistake. Who's the OE mfr?

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Vig- It is on the spring, Cagnola, Monza. The HGTC springs were made by Cosmo, also in Italy.

22. CobraR1339

CobraR1339 Rookie

Oct 12, 2014
    So California
    Full Name:
    Wally Rust
    Fat Billy Bob - Carl please contact me regarding GS at 909 376 3652

23. CobraR1339

CobraR1339 Rookie

Oct 12, 2014
    So California
    Full Name:
    Wally Rust
    Guy's I am very remorseful to report GS ( Steve ) Johnson passed away last Thursday morning. He was a good friend of over 25 years and partner in man car related projects over the years. We buried him yesterday in Lake Forest , Ca.

Dressed and ready for work, laid back down on the bed and never got back up. ME presumed a heart attack. He had no complaints about health and you can see how ambitious he was with YELO 550.

Just a very sad event in car guy land. We are all very shocked and saddened. His daughter chose to bury him in his IMSA racing suit with a model of the Yellow 550 some one in this thread suggested he purchase. He said the car was a keeper and that he would take it to his grave.

That said, I have been designated to finish the 550 for his daughter. If you look at this thread post #157, sad it is happening so early. We were partners in a couple vintage race car projects that need to be buttoned up as well.

A little background on GS :

He had 100's of cars over the years and handled many restorations to excellent driver quality to concours de elegance winners. He was an avid SCCA racer and won the SCCA rising star award. He went on to run IMSA for Nissan in a 300zx with Parnelli Jones, he raced against Paul Newman and was a trackside friend. He later went on to mentor PJ Jones. He was a consultant on Days of Thunder and mentored Tom Cruise for his driving in the movie.

He gave up racing around 1990 cold turkey after a bad crash he witnessed with a friend. He no longer wanted to take those risks and leave his only child without a father.

However, today was a different story as we were slated to complete the 67 Mustang Vintage racer and a 69 911 Vintage racer. he was excited about that, but not as much as finishing the YELO 550. He had a 330 that he loved a lot , but was forced to part with it during the downturn a few years back, he wrote a very long but awesome post about his first drive, something all car guys can identify with and IMO worthy of a repost in the Ferrari owners magazine.

This 550 was his dream car, he had done tremendous research on it. He consulted with all of you on this thread and was so grateful for the community here at Ferrari Chat. After partaking in other forums he was truly impressed with the generosity to offer help and the lack of squabbling that goes on here. His only drive in this car was from the shipping point to the garage, if you have followed the thread, you know he was on a mission. While he test drove a few cars during the hunt, he never got to enjoy this one in that way. But he always enjoyed two other things when it came to his personal cars. 1. The Hunt. 2. Making it as perfect as possible for the duty it would see. I think you can see that in his posts as well.

Typically he would have been 100% OEM for a car he intended to flip. This was not the case here, this was to be his hotrod 550 for life. There will be more little touches that show up in this build as I get things moving.

I and the family want to thank you all for the support, wisdom and encouragement you offered to GS. We hope his contributions helped others as well.

I am new to the 550 and Ferrari mechanics, but a darn good wrench on the domestics and Porsches. I intend to see his vision through and complete the car as he intended. I may need your help as well over the next few months. I intend to keep this thread alive as updates progress.

I know GS is up there somewhere swapping stories with the great car guys and racers of the past. GS Johnson 1952 - 2015 RIP.

24. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
  25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    This is the saddest thing that I have read on Fchat in a long, long time. Maybe ever. I am so sorry to read this. I loved this project and got a lot of Steve in his posts. He seemed like such a great, great guy.

It goes without saying: if you need any help finishing the car, please let me know and I'll help where possible. I am sure that the MSW guys, FBB, and many of the experts here feel the same way.