Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Aug 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Thank you Mark, i had the opportunity to check out the very original Mexico of a friend of mine today. We measured his steering arms in situ, they are indeed identical in size to each other, but they are significantly shorter than the red steering arms pictured above and probably your steering arm. We measured the long part of it from the middle of the holes to approx. 13 cm, the short part was approx. 7 cm. The short part is identical, but the long part is approx. 17 cm on my steering arms, which is significantly longer.....
    I am a bit puzzled about this, to be honest. Can you tell me the part number and measurements of your Ghibli steering arm?

2. OFFtrack

OFFtrack Karting

Jan 4, 2013
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Dirk R.
    Impressive work, Olaf. Whish mine would be this far

3. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi Lbird. I am away until tomorrow, so I will take some measurements this week, but the part I ordered from Tralli is # 107GC57940. The manual steering arm in the Ghibli Parts book is 107CS53744. I could not find either part number on the casting however.
    My power steering box has the arm attached, and it is an exact mirror image of the one I purchased, which makes sense to me. I am hoping that the LHD idler side will fit the power steering box on a RHD car, which will help with another UK Ghibli Restoration.....it has just occurred to me that I must be a bit sad to have that steering arm picture on my iPad! Ah well. When one is bitten by the Maserati bug, one is truly bitten.....

Best regards

Mark.

4. jarnved

jarnved Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    Denmark
    My Hat off, good to see and hear about this in many eyes total crazy projects. I'm overwhelmed about your leather work, I will follow your history "Viva Mexico"
    Jorn

5. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi again Lbird. I've just taken out the measuring tape, and the arm attached to my power steering box has measurements between the hole centres of 17cm and 7cm for the long and short respectively. The idler side arm measures the same, but is just cranked in the opposite sense. Does your friend's car have assisted steering?
    Please post any further progress.

Best regards. Mark.

6. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hi Mark, thank you for taking measurements. It seems that your steering arm is exactly like the red ones i have, judging by the numbers you found. On my friends Mexico with power steering these arms are 4 cm shorter between the hole centres - i have to find the shorter ones then - anybody out there who wants to swap?

7. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Ibird. looking at your photos is so inspiring and prompts us restoring a car to keep persevering. keep on posting your photos, just seeing those rusted parts come to life shines light on the end of our long tunnels.
    Greg

8. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #58 lbird, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Again long time no see, but progress is hard to come by these days...
    But one major step has been achieved: #854 is back on her wheels again, you can turn the wheel and something happens at the front, brakes are there including brake lines.

A big big thank you has to go to Vienna to Bernhard, he remanufactured the missing power steering arm for me by using one with different teething from a manual box. Great job and that made it possible to put her on wheels. There are a lot of great people around in the Maserati scene, Bernhard is definitely one of them!

Another nice lad came by in September to visit the "Modena of the North" how he called it after we showed him around. I would like to say hi to Frank (Portenos) via this post too. Great chap and very knowledgeable in all things Maserati.

What are the next steps? Right now we are fitting doors, trunk and hood together with new rubber seals. This will be the preparation for the next big step: The paint shop! I received the formula for the original silver metallic of the car, this was adapted manually by a paint company (Spiess Hecker) to match a sample piece of metal painted with the original colour (another thank you goes to Wolfgang down south, he provided the sample).

We need a hint how to set up the trunk springs correctly. The trunk is supposed to stay open by the power of these massive springs, we put it all back together but now these springs provide no stopping power for the trunk at all. What did we do wrong? Any ideas or is it probably a common known mistake? Help is appreciated like always....

The car will be painted over the winter, while the car is in the paint shop the engine, the gearbox and the steering pump will be rebuilt. I will try to find the little pieces of trim missing here and there to get the car complete while this happens.

BTW: Does anybody know where to get proper seal kits or rebuilding sets for the ZF5/20 transmission that will go into my car? It seems to be working fine, but at least we will open it, check it for problems and then put new seals in.

So, lots of work ahead. But the car can be hauled around with a trailer now without problems, and i can turn the wheel and pretend to drive something like a car!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #59 Portenos, Oct 18, 2015
    Thank you Ibird, and yes Paderborn is truly the Modena of the North.
    Located in the northern part of Germany, Paderborn has a very enthusiastic group of Maserati guys.
    I was very fortunate to meet some of them last month and came away very impressed with the work they are doing and the cars they are rebuilding.
    Their mechanics, body men, machinist trim shops are first rate.
    Paderborn is worthy of having their own thread, which I may start.
    Thats Ibird with his Mexico.
    Great work guys!
    Ciao,
    FGM

10. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Ibird....

I believe MIE in upstate Washington here in the US may have the transmission seal
    kit you are looking for. I would suggest you call them and ask!

Maserati Club, Maserati Parts, MIE Corp. MaseratiNet Store

I'm not sure how to help you with your trunk spring issue, but if you need some pictures
    let me know.. There is also a gentleman in England who recently restored a Mexico. His
    restoration can be found on PistonHeads | Cars for Sale | Car News | Motoring Forum. Look in Forum, and in the General
    Gassing section you will find Classic Cars and Yesterdays Heroes. Search through there and you will eventually find his thread. He is a very nice fellow and he was helpful
    regarding some questions I had for my Mexico...

Mike

11. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hi Mike,

thank you for your advice, will try to contact the guy in england regarding the trunk issue.
    Unfortunately MIE has only a set for the ZF S5/325 transmission, mine is the original ZF S5/20 which came with the 4.2 engine.....

lbird

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The S5/20 was used on some MB 230SL/250SL/280SL. You may want to contact this company:

New ZF 5-Speed Transmission for 230SL 250SL 280SL - Type S5-20

Ivan

13. MexmadMan

MexmadMan Rookie

Apr 10, 2008
    ? venting for Mexico
    Hi lbird
    I am resubmitting this question in the hope that you might provide some direction/pictures to help me out...if you like I can re-post the pictures from my car to give you an idea of the area in question...thanks for your help.

Can you provide pictures of the air vents on center console that covers the drive train? In particular, what kind of duct work/tubing was used from the air box to the vents that are near the driver and passenger feet? There is the remnant of a black hose on the driver side of my car but the passenger side is open. Any help would be greatly appreciated as the project is almost completed. If you have photo's...they would be most helpful
    Thanks
    Carlo

14. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Carlo...

I don't recall seeing any photo's of your project... Please post them!

Mike

15. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hi Carlo, just saw your question. When i remember it correctly, the vents were only connected by two black plastic tubes underneath the tunnel going to the airbox. Nothing in between. I will try to find these tubes and post a picture. Sorry for missing your question...
    CU lbird

16. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #66 lbird, Nov 11, 2015
  17. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #67 lbird, Nov 11, 2015
    Oh, im a very happy man today. Just came back from the car and we made real progress on the car. Lots of little things done and solved. The hood stays open now thanks to pictures from Pauls restoration over at Pistonheads. The electrics are getting sorted big time, the loom is located where it should and connections are made one by one. The radiator got completely recored and received a complete new three piece matrix. The servo pump got overhauled.
    Fuel line is installed completely from front to back. It is a hell of a job to fiddle a fuel line through the sill and connect everything.
    And something really nice: The original Bendix fuel pumps still work after a good clean like a charm. These suckers pump like crazy, they are really powerful. Everything is connected to the original fuel regulator and filter under the hood. Even the original Fiam horns still work, we try to revive the compressor too.
    A tank was trial fitted today.
    And contrary to what i wrote in a different post all of my 6 fuel tanks still have the tank sender units installed, i was just too stupid to check properly. We will be able to get something working from them. Unfortunately only one of the tanks has the unit screwed with 4 bolts, the others are of the turning variety.

And now onto the questions, i need more and more information to get the car together:
    - Does somebody has a better wiring diagram than that contained in the Mexico manual available on the carnut site? The plan there differs in many parts from the loom actually installed in my 1970 car.
    - How is the loom located in the trunk? It splits into two very long parts. I assume one of them goes to the right to the right tank sender, rear light and fuel pump. Does the other go straight to the left around the left fuel tank? I have no idea how it is properly situated.
    - Where is the connector panel in the trunk screwed on correctly? On the right wheelarch or where does it go?
    - We installed the brakes and everything already. But how on earth do you fit the venting panel in the left wing when the big servo cover is installed? By the way: I have only one of these grills in the wings. Does somebody know a good way to remanufacture them?

- And the most pressing question at the moment: We installed the trunk springs and everything like the parts manual suggested. But the trunk does not stay open on its own. How is this mechanism adjusted or what did we probably wrong? I know it worked before, but i have no idea how we could put it together differently. But it just doesn't want to stay in position. We are really puzzled about that.

Questions over questions -but it looks more and more like a car. And a real beauty it will be....

CU lbird

18. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #68 The Surveyor, Nov 11, 2015
    Good evening Ibird

I'm lucky enough the have Mexico 112-462 and have completed a general refurbishment since buying it off Italian eBay as a 'project'. Let me know if there is anything I can assist with on your wonderful project.

19. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #69 The Surveyor, Nov 11, 2015
  20. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #70 The Surveyor, Nov 11, 2015
  21. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #71 The Surveyor, Nov 11, 2015
  22. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hi Paul, a very warm welcome to this thread - i followed your thread on pistonheads very closely and admired your completed car. What a beauty she is!
    Mike also helped me a lot and i think he contacted you already about some things which may help me. Especially wiring is my theme right now. Any wiring diagram i can get my hands on will help a great deal. On my loom most of the colours and some wires are very different from the ones mentioned in the manual on the carnut site.
    I would be very grateful if you could post pictures from your restoration here. Especially two situations are very unclear to me:
    - How are the horns and the compressor attached to the frame in the front?
    - How is the loom in the trunk located exactly on the right and on the left. Where are which cables attached?

If you can provide any details helping to solve these problems it would be great.
    I would love to have my car as detailed as yours!

CU lbird

23. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    Good morning Ibird

I'll dig out some of the early photographs of my car before I stripped it down to see if these can help with the horn fitting. On mine, the horn compressor is fitted to the inner wing just above and forward of the steering box, with the horns poking through the circular hole in the front slam-panel. On mine the hole had been roughly widened so I'm not 100% sure that was right.

Wiring in the boot included a large connector fitted to the passenger-side inner wing. Mine was badly damaged by a previous minor fire so needed quite a bit of repair. I ditched the connector completely and fitted some new blade-fuse holders to protect the loom from future problems.

Also, did you find some fuel tank sender units, I have a spare if you want it?

Cheers

Paul

24. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #74 lbird, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    Hello Paul,

tank sender problem should be solved, i have now 6 fuel tanks with senders at my disposal. Should get two working ones out of them.
    The mounting of the compressor is solved right at the moment, we tried the fitting like on your car and the mounting holes and brackets match. One more problem ticked off. Seems like this is different on series 2 cars.
    Do you have any pictures of the trunk wiring before dismantling? We are still unsure about the wire distribution in the trunk...

CU lbird

25. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    Sorry, I don't have any pictures, but I will mark up a copy of the wiring diagram showing which section feed up & over the top via the speaker tray, and which distribute behind the lock mounting panel to serve the petrol pumps and licence plate lights.

I'll post it later.