Aston Rapide enthusiast thread | FerrariChat

Aston Rapide enthusiast thread

Discussion in 'British' started by Countachqv, Oct 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I would like to start a thread about Rapide owners impressions Non S and S, comparisons and manufacturing numbers.
    After driving the Vanquish myself and my wife appreciating the car as well, she hinted to me that she would not be against a 3rd car if that would be a ...4 seaters for the grown up kids...
    Well, my personal requirements are that the car still need to drive as a 2 seater sports car, be beautiful, sound right and has potential for collectability in the far future. That takes out the Bentley and the Panamera.
    That leaves the Maser GT 2013 and up, which I discarded in favor of the Vanquish as a pure sport car with collectability potential, the 612 and of course the topic of the thread the Rapide which right now is my favorite of the lot.
    Owners seem difficult to find so the hope is to debunk a car that is still made and is after all not well known.
    The discussion is not about the advantage of the cars listed above and the rapide but merley understand the Rapide strenghts and weaknesses and of course see owners' pictures

2. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I totally disliked all Rapides until 2015 model with 8 speed which completely transformed that car.
    Unfortunately, unless your kids are still less then 10 year old or are midgets, the back seat is as useless as the one in a 911.

3. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    well, 1 response that is pretty negative and no activity... Does this speaks for the car quality? sounds to me that either the owners are no the type to post online or no one is buying these things

4. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I think you're looking in the wrong place, to be honest. If you look at the forum on the Aston Martin Owners' Club website, you're much more likely to find what you're after. It's not as active as FChat, but it is at least devoted to the marque.

Best,

Neil

5. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I watch various forums and the activities are very low. I dont think this is the wrong forum as other aston here have quite a viewing.
    I really think it is an indication of lack of interests from people on that car. Despite that, the 2nd hand are quite pricey.

6. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I saw one in the wild for the first time last month in downtown Baltimore.

Nice lines in motion.

7. NTRLOPER

NTRLOPER Karting

Mar 3, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Kerry
    I haven't owned either but am looking at 612's....personally I think it's no contest between the two. If I want an Aston I'd get a DBS, not a 4-door that likely isn't going to be collectible. The 612 has rarity (I see Rapides in Austin frequently but have never seen a 612), a better interior and seats you can use. Oh and better performance. I don't dislike the Rapide, but if given a choice it's clear to me.

8. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    a friend has an 05 612 I helped him purchase. Tried it too. I am not crazy about the style but I have to say the back seat are useable. I have not tried a Rapide but have compared to the vanquish.
    The 612 does not feel as stylish but it is quicker with more punch. I think the purpose is a more sporty car for the F. I think they made over 7000 612 while there are way less more rapide to date (3K ?)

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Not entirely negative, just stating that early cars (before S) were severely underpowered and with resulting weak acceleration.
    S was much better although never felt like a 550hp car.
    The 2015 model has new 8 speed transmission and it transformed the car to make it a very attractive proposition.
    Back seat is useless for adults however.

10. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Maybe a reason we don't see a lot of online 'traffic' regarding the AM Rapides has to do with the buyer demographic.. Some buyers will be enthusiasts, but not nearly all.

Wouldn't you think most are basically out to buy a gorgeous high-end sedan? That most Rapide buyers are not going for earsplitting sporting enthusiast-level performance, which are the demographic this website draws from.

11. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Yes. it appears that way. In fact I was discussing the new lagonda 4 seater at over $1MM / piece for 200 units with an Aston dealer. The luxury inside rivals with Bentley and Rolls. The headliner is a Micheleangelo piece.
    I ask him what is the point of a larger 4 seaters if only 200 people will buy it. He responded that the audience was for mostly ultra wealthy shieks who are sick and tired to see too many Rolls and Bentley like theirs and want a unique 4 seaters.
    I guess a over a mil, it will be unique alright...
    May be we have the same attitude lower down the scale with the Rapide. Enough of AMG, cheap Porsche or BMW, give me something more unique.

12. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Kudos to Aston M - I definitely am glad we have choices.
    Cheers,
    - Art
    PS. Good to know Michelangelo is still doing frescoes. (Ha!)

13. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Well, it looks now like we have our cake and we can eat it too.
    Current Rapide S is still unique and elegant while providing the performance that was missing before.

14. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    #14 Lloyd, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Beautifull, inside is incredible. Congrats for the car and pictures too.

16. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    your rapide is gorgeous! exactly the color combo I would want! the sound is also out of this world. the sound makes 1/2 of the car. it is simply intoxicating to the point I personally dont care much for all the fancy stero stuff.

17. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    A gentleman in the next office from mine has a white one. Looks nice but definitely not a head turner. The interior on the one posted above is gorgeous.

18. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    #18 absent, Nov 13, 2015
  19. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    looks OTO, which color is he car?

20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Silver Fox.

21. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    yes I saw one in the LI dealership. It looks outstanding. They use the idea off the new 1MM 4 doors sedan under lagonda.
    I love this new interior. They should have left the front grille alone thou. I find the old one better.

22. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    EU pedestrian protection rules.

23. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    HA! why is this that with each "safety" rules in any country things never look better and always less good when not downright ugly (countach bumpers)?

24. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    #24 Countachqv, Nov 17, 2015
  25. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name: