Intermittent rear view camera... | FerrariChat

Intermittent rear view camera...

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Randy R, Oct 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    Re: 2014 Cal 30

The rear view camera has started to not come on when the transmission is put into reverse. This does not happen all of the time, but about 50% of the time.

Has anyone else had this problem?

If I put her in 1st, then reverse, then 1st again, then reverse again, then sometimes the camera comes on. Sometimes the camera comes on with the first pressing of the "R" button. Always the parking sensors work, including the display of the green/yellow/red grid lines and the beeping. Seems flaky, like a loose wire. This is the stock camera, mounted in the bumper - I'm always gentle when closing the trunk lid.

Thanks,
    Randy...

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The appearance of the "green/yellow/red grid lines" on the car reverse display would seem to indicate the computer logic for the reverse camera is active so IMO the most likely culprit is as you suspected, a loose wire/cable, probably the one(s) transmitting the picture from the camera. It should be relatively easy to locate and fix once you know the route taken by the wire/cable.

3. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Sounds like warranty work to me.

4. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Had that problem with my FF and it was a connector loose in the back of the car. You would need someone that knows where all of the connectors are.

5. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    Thanks guys. I guess this is not a common problem. I'll put it on the list for the next annual service.

6. Billdreamlv

Billdreamlv Rookie

Feb 22, 2021
    Full Name:
    Bill ODonnell
    I had a broken camera on a Ferrari 458 and the camera is fixed. The symptom of the camera problem was that the display would turn on and the color lines would appear in the screen. It appeared the screen wanted to display something but it just couldn't get there. I took off the drivers side rear wheel well rear plastic cowling. There is a green connector located near the bottom of the wheel well. This connector is not sealed very well and I pulled it apart. It appeared to be broken. The connector is right where the water and mist from the wheel would be sprayed up inside the housing on rainy days and cause corrosion in the connector. It appeared the connector pins were corroded. The pins are so small that they do not make very good connection. I pulled the two halves of the connector apart and cleaned the pins with a dental explorer and very carefully bent the female pins in the female side so that the male pins would be tight. Then I took some heat shrink tubing and slipped it on the cable. This cable must be disconnected when you take the bumper off but the heat shrink tubing can be cut easily and re-installed when you have to take the bumper off for some reason. Anyway, it worked and worked great. The picture pops up every time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jcm91ca, whatheheck and Randy R like this.
  7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Great job troubleshooting and repair!

8. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    Just a follow up (very late, sorry...). Two years ago I swapped out the original Fiam Battery for an Interstate, and I bought a CTEK charger (with adapter to fit my Cal'30), and I've been faithful to always keep her plugged in when parked in the garage. Since then, the camera has been 90+% reliable. I'm chalking it up to weak battery syndrome.

whatheheck likes this.
  9. Billdreamlv

Billdreamlv Rookie

Feb 22, 2021
    Full Name:
    Bill ODonnell
    Randy R when the connection is poor the camera will still work if the voltage is high enough to overcome the resistance in the connector. When you say 90% of the time, that tells me that at certain times the voltage isn't quite enough to overcome the resistance in the connector and the threshold for triggering it on has not been reached. The camera will turn on above 8.5v or so. So, 14.5v minus the resistance (maybe a 6v drop) in the connector the camera will still turn on. But at 13.5v minus the resistance of 6v drop is 7.5v. You might try cleaning it and reducing the resistance in the connector and maybe you can get to 100%. Since I cleaned the connector, it has never failed.

BruceC, whatheheck and Randy R like this.
  10. Fouadr

Fouadr Rookie

Sep 23, 2021
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Fouad
    Hi All,

I have an F12 and having the same problem. its been with ferrari 3 times now and they can't figure it out. Rear camera goes black after a long drive. Never from cold. Usually the camera functions again after I turned off the engine for a bit. The front camera always works fine.

Not sure if you guys have any ideas.

Best
    Fouad

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Frustrating for an expensive exotic car not to have a reliable parking cameras..............It is such a simple system. Power & video signal. Rear camera triggered by reverse light.

I have installed many name brand (Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, etc) parking cameras in the past into a name brand head unit into my cars & my friends cars and never had a problem.

My 2016 California T didnt have the optional factory parking cameras (I'm glad my car didnt have that option as I have read many posts on how buggy & unreliable it is).

I recently installed the NAVIKS Video Interface Module, Alpine Back Up Camera and Kenwood multi angle view front parking camera integrated to the factory head unit and so far I am 100% happy. Excellent video quality and so far 100% reliable.

Took me 4 days taking my sweet time ensuring quality work for ultimate reliability.

I havent created a video yet but here's one from the seller.
    Kit is plug and play.

Dan

Attached Files:

• 1.jpeg
      1.jpeg
      File size:
      79.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpeg
      2.jpeg
      File size:
      75.4 KB