DeLaRossa speciale Pantera sold out of San Diego | FerrariChat

DeLaRossa speciale Pantera sold out of San Diego

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bitzman, Oct 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I was trying to remember what the Don DeLaRossa 1974 Pantera was sold for out of San Diego a few years ago. He had that built for him whilst he was President of Ghia. It's kind of a notchback and there are pictures of it here, I gather this is the site of the man who bought it from his widow.

1974 Detomaso Pantera 1 Off Speciale SOLD: 1974 Detomaso Pantera 1 off Prototype

I don't think this car was known as well as the 7X, so probably sold for far less. You could argue if it's one man's custom or a factory prototype but I think since it was created by Ghia, that it's the real deal, thought it wasn't shown by Ford the way the 7X was. Like to hear opinions on whether it was a bargain or not when the family sold it. Thanks for any input...

2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I almost bought this car at one time around 2006/7. Was very close and was available relatively inexpensively at that time.

3. pantera1973

pantera1973 Rookie

Oct 5, 2010
    Los Gatos, CA
  4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    but what was it advertised for on Anamera? I hazily remember $60K to $72K. Anu clues appreciated. By the way I call this the notchback Pantera because of the cut down sail panels

5. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I seem to remember this car at Russo and Steele in Monterey last year?

I can't seem to find it on their site but I walked around it in the parking lot.

LSJ

6. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The car doesn't show up in the Monterey 2015 results from Russo & Steele as far as I can see.

Mark

7. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    It is funny to see that a car like that may be considered as a desirable one off because of whom it was made for. If Joe six pack does this in his garage it would be a $20K butchered car and every soul would decry it.
    The car is butt ugly if you ask me. they broke the pure lines of a pantera.

8. mcg

mcg Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #8 mcg, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    Not considering the end result; since the modification was done by Ghia, I think that puts it in a different category than a homebuilt.

9. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Of course. We all know that. But sometimes one may wonder why a factory job should not be under the same scrutiny as everyone would doing the same job.
    After all car is art as well.

10. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    At Ghia while Ghia was a Ford subsidiary for a Ford VP, so it becomes a one off prototype.

It was meticulously nut and bolt restored by a member here and I am almost sure he sold it at a loss.

11. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
  12. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm guessing that Mark Hyman bought it at R&S knowing where the Pantera market was going. I don't remember it sitting around very long at his shop before he sold it on. Maybe a few months.

I think that Pete did a great job returning the car to it's original state after it had been mildly "updated" by a former owner. The modified design is not, IMHO an improvement over the Tjaarda original.

Mark

13. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    Agreed, it looks butchered compared to the stock car.

But nothing as bad as Zagato did to this 250 California spyder. Hideous compared to the original:

http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/61515/index.html?no_cache=1