Help getting out of my 328 | FerrariChat

Help getting out of my 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by SpyderGT, Oct 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ingress and egress of a 3x8 is often a challenge. Being a senior citizen, I admit to using the door sill and, sometimes, the seat back to push against as I get out of my 328 - but never, ever, the door itself. Saw a TV ad for this device and thinking about my years ahead, what do you think? And, where could it be stored while in transit? Not sure it would fit in the door pockets or the center console. Does the Ferrari store have a similar device? https://www.carcane.com/

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #2 Alden, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Funny thing about the "car cane."

It was originally designed for cops and rescue crews as a tool to quickly get folks out of cars in the event they couldn't open the door.

The hammer like handle with the sharp metal tip is used to break windows and the blade in the slit in the handle is to quickly cut seat belts.

I guess someone figured out that you could jam it in the door striker and use it as an entry/exit aid so they decided to widen the market and sell it to seniors. Great way to sell a product for more than one use!

It wouldn't work on my Mondial because my door striker is a round steel tube, not a rectangular one like on modern cars. What does the striker on your 328 look like?

If it looks like the pic below, I don't think the car cane will work for you.

Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I worry too about having to call the paramedics someday to extricate me from my 308.

"Admit to using the door sill"???!!! That is my standard maneuver; Left hand on doorsill, left foot out. Right hand on top of windshield frame, right foot out. Most cars, you can pivot on the seat and remove the feet before the butt. On a 3x8, the butt must move first; upward and back.

Even if you could buy or make a device like the "Carcane" that would work on a 3x8, the challenge I see with it is that it still depends on arm strength to do an upward arm press just like using the doorsill. The problem is that the seat is so far forward relative to the door.

All Ferrari Store products are on-line, so you can search there. I doubt highly that you'll find what you're looking for.

4. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    Sweet! Be sure to hold out for the one with the built-in LED flashlight! :)

5. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    F-Chat - always quick with helpful advice! Interesting history on the device - police, emergency extraction - kind of a mini "jaws of life." Wow! Actually, I first saw the less compact (or is it more "robust") Canadian version https://www.carcane.ca/ Wonder how long the battery life is for the LED lights - change every 3 years? five years?Choices, choices!

6. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I'm wondering if the metal the striker attached to can withstand the bending moment force being exerted? Once in a while would be fine, but chances are that will be often.

7. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Reclining the seat makes it easier for me to exit vehicle. I am not a tall person so the seat is fully forward so I can push clutch in all the way. That causes steering wheel to get in the way as I exit. But reclining the seatback helps in my 328.

8. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Park on a golf green and just roll out.

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Don't feel bad. I do the same thing and have since I got the car back in 1985. I'm 68 now. But if you think getting in and out of a 308 is bad at our age, try a 355 with 10' wide door sills. Well they seem like they are 10' wide. :)

10. brock328

brock328 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2011
    Niagara, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hello Jon, Mike from Ontario, forget the car-cane and sell me the car :)
    Just a thought, if you ever consider please let me know?
    All the best,
    Mike

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #11 johnk..., Oct 28, 2015
  12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Damn... I thought this thread was about Spyder Jon trying to sell his blue 328.

13. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Yeah, I do the twisty thing on my seat to get out. I am usually pretty good about getting in though.

Makes me feel old some days until I start it up.

PDG

14. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Easy to get in and out of. Lots of room. Very comfy. And a familiar drivetrain for you 3x8 guys.

I'm not quite a senior citizen yet (55), but back issues have caused me mobility problems. My Mondial Coupe is very easy to get in and out of - except when parked where I can't fully open the door.

Sid

15. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
  16. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
  17. klatu

klatu Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Mckinney
    I find it easy to get in, I just turn around, and fall in butt first. Getting out, is another thing. After grunting and moaning and a few "qsrjkkfd", I'm able to extract my body, now the next issue is being able to stand up.

81 308 GTSi, Oh yeah, the seat bolster doesn't look so good. And I'm 77 and 5"9, so that means I get to look at her more, and drive her less. Oh well, it's better than nothing.

Sure wish I was not so old. Any body want to trade? I will throw in my wheeled walker.

Anyone know of a driver hoist?

Soon to be older.

Klatu

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have seen those advertised on TV.

I don't think, considering its design and construction, that the strike plate/receiver would do well using something like that adapted to the car. The brass tube supported in rubber is really not all that strong and I think regular use would damage it. Likewise I suggest not using the door to push yourself up. It just tweaks the hinge mounts.

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #19 johnk..., Oct 28, 2015
    That's what I do but in my case it has saved the bolster. Of course, I've been pretty anal about getting in and out. For a long time I would not wear jeans in the car, only khakis.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. 328GTS328

328GTS328 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2015
    If you have back problems,,or are just getting to old to deal with getting in and out of your 3x8.. get rid of the stock seats,,,These stock seats are crap to begin with,,with no support whatsoever,,which makes things even worse for those with back issues,,..

21. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon

Getting older, yes. Back problem or other impediments to enjoying my 328, no. My original post was tongue-in-cheek. But there have been some interesting posts, e.g., levitation by sound waves!

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I find 328 seats quite comfortable, even driving it on long trips. I also don't see how changing the seats make exiting the car easier.

Age has killed my knees, not my back.

23. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    I agree with Brian, I find the seats pretty comfortable. I did 10-12 hours in my 328 for 2 days in a row. (San Diego to Seattle). It was fine. and a lot of fun :)