330 GTC tool bag (wrenches) question | FerrariChat

330 GTC tool bag (wrenches) question

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PFSEX, Oct 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    Hi

I have a friend with an early 330 GTC. He is looking to build up a correct tool kit for it.

What is the proper brand name for the wrenches in such a tool kit? OEM supplier?

Was it the same throughout 330 GTC production or did supplier change?

Thanks a lot for any info.

John

2. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I will caveat all of this with I AM NOT AN EXPERT IN TOOLS. But, I did a lot of research when I was trying to assemble a toolkit for my 1966 330 GTC - the 20th one built. There is obviously a sketch of the toolkit in the manual and the parts manual, and I believe Tom Shaughnessy (an expert in tools) has written articles on f-chat with those pictures, and pictures of wrenches, pliers, etc. I read through all of that in my process also.

To the best of my knowledge, the wrenches for 330 GTCs were all Beta wrenches - made in Italy. I was hunting for Beta No. 55 wrenches to complete my toolkit, though it turns out my car came with Beta Auto No. 55 wrenches.

For 330 GTCs, there were apparently 2 setups - a single bag toolkit (early cars) and a two bag toolkit (later cars) where the jack kit was separate from the other tools.

By some ridiculous stroke of luck, while researching my car's history, I found the point at which the toolkit was separated from the car and I found the person who had the almost 100% complete original toolkit - including the Pirelli fan belt. I've since been able to purchase the toolkit and reunite it with my car. That's when I found out I had Beta Auto No. 55 wrenches. I've since found the few missing pieces needed to make my toolkit 100% complete. Every tool is original except for the lead hammer and the rear hub puller, both of which are very high quality reproductions. I also had an excellent reproduction bag made, in which I'm storing the original tools. The original bag feels fragile, so it is stored away safely only to be used if I ever show the car in a concours. The tools are also stored away safely - not kept in the trunk of the car.

Hope this info gets you started!

3. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    If you search the threads I think you will find that 330GTCs also came with GEDORE wrenches. They had GEDORE Made in Germany on one side and DIN 895 on the other side.

4. ryanbushell

ryanbushell Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    #4 ryanbushell, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    330 365 GTC/GTS Generally came with only 2 spanners.
    10-11, 12-14

Either gedore,beta no 55, or Karat

Thank you

6. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    My GTC has a 2 bag kit and I've worked to get it 100% complete per the published diagrams. At Concorso a few years ago, the scoresheet I obtained showed my kit was dinged for not have the grease gun. The grease gun is shown in the 1 bag kit, but not in the 2 bag kit diagram. Should I have this tool even though it's not in the diagram or was I mistakenly dinged?

Tom

Oengus likes this.
  7. treue

treue Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Tom Treue
    #7 treue, Oct 29, 2015
    Guys,

I don’t know if there is any relationship between the 330GT 2+2 toolkits and the 330GTC toolkits, but Kerry Chesbro (mostly focused on the 330 2+2, as was I) has a nice essay on the 330 2+2 toolkits, single bag and double bag, here: Toolkit . Note that both kits had a grease gun. I got my grease gun (as well as other 330 tools and parts) from Parker Hall who (at least, at the time) had nice reproductions. Also, the Beta 55 open end wrenches are still being made, albeit in modern form, which can, at least, be used as place holders. See: double open end wrenches - Beta Tools

BTW, I have a completely restored yellow Dino jack and a jack bag for sale. I’ve seen reproduction bearing pullers for sale on eBay.

See below the tool kit I put together for my 330 2+2

Tom
    2007 F430F1 Coupé (Izzy)
    formerly 1967 330GT 2+2
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. coryh

coryh Karting

Nov 26, 2011
    #8 coryh, Oct 29, 2015
  9. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #9 jcavalie, Nov 2, 2015
    Here is a picture of my 330 gtc toolkit. The top picture shows the original toolkit bag which I am storing without the tools in it, to better preserve it from wear-n-tear. As you can see it has some grease damage in the strapping.

The bottom picture shows all the tools in the reproduction toolkit bag I had made. All the tools are believed to be original to my car, except for the following:
    - lead hammer: supplied by Parker Hall
    - rear hub puller: reproduction made by Norbert Hoffer/Gran Touring Classics
    - reproduction toolkit bag: supplied by Russ at FerrParts

The cylinder in the upper left of the bottom picture contains a rare emergency accessory light that plugs into the push in socket above the driver's left knee. I also have an original emergency window crank.

10. ryanbushell

ryanbushell Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    Very nice kit Jim!

11. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Hello,
    I join this thread because my "new" 330 GTC doesn't get neither tool kit, nor owner's/spare parts manuals with their pouch.
    I do not wish to spend huge money for a full original tool kit as I see it quoted 15k€ (17kUSD).
    So I am looking for a very good reproduction tool bag, as it was originally, but alone since I will complete with patience with original tools.
    Important are the design, dimensions, materials (vinyl and leather for straps), and hardware (cf. description in PFA "as built" manual).
    Could any member tell me where I could get it either in USA or Europe (I am based in France)?
    For instance, I see in this thread that cavalier "had an excellent reproduction bag made" in 2005.
    Since the car is an earlier one, it is a one single bag, as described in the spare parts catalogue (TAV 40).
    And same question for the manuals' pouch: who? (I'll search original manuals later on).

Thanks a lot for your contribution,
    Best regards,
    Jean-Paul

Oengus likes this.
  12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    PM sent

13. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007