More smog drama in Cali with Historic plates | FerrariChat

More smog drama in Cali with Historic plates

Discussion in '308/328' started by JMNGTB, Oct 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JMNGTB

JMNGTB Rookie

Dec 25, 2008
    Quick background got my Historic Cal. plates about 8 years ago. All good until 2014with the 77 GTB. In Nov of 2013 got the renewal from DMV just like usual with no smog mentioned on renewal form. Mailed in payment and lower cutout to Sac that month. Never heard from them until Jan 2014 when I recd a letter from saying that the B would need to be tested from smog Historic plates or not . So did the smog soon after the letter arrived. Now two years later got the renewal for 2016 again no mention of smog needed, just proof of insurance and check for $81.00. Read that some of you with Historic plates have had good luck with AAA. So when there today and it was no go without inspection. Again no inspection mentioned at top of renewal form. So we are off to re smog next week. Really no advantage for me with the Historics, only disadvantages with it's limited usage. Welcome back to the dark side. Hope others with the plates have a better go come renewal time.. I know lots of you had no problems two years ago. Crazy no? Cheers, John

2. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    That last I heard cars manufactured after 1975 with historical plates in California, will now need to be smog tested every other year. If this is accurate there really is no advantage to having historical plates. What a State !

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The weather around RedondoBeach is the only advantage to living in Cali. Even with the best weather in Cali every week I ask myself why am I still living here and why am I still working. Once I decide to retire for real I'm out of here. I think I would rather have two places to live to get the weather issue under control and just buy 2 of everything than live in Cali..

4. 308gt4++

308gt4++ Formula 3

Apr 12, 2015
    I posted some info in another thread before...there are people in Calif who work tirelessly for free to try to defend our rights as car collectors/buffs...(see link below)...but...we generally basically seem to just ignore what they're doing....

There was apparently a big vote in April, called quickly, and the org below tried to muster the support they needed to stave off changes, but they were not successful....

Like everything else, I suppose, most of us don't have time to be enough of an Activist and get involved in things that affect us, like we really should do to protect our rights and interests....

Association of California Car Clubs

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #5 Bullfighter, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2015
    My understanding is that cars built 1975 or later need to be tested. Period.

Not sure why you didn't need to do it for the first 8 years, though. Probably bureaucratic error.

[*** Deleted P&R ***]

6. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Read the Assembly Bill a few years ago and it stated that historic plates did not relieve you of the obligation to emissions test your vehicle. I think it was plain lack of enforcement up to this point and now they are catching up. Anyway, I didn't do it and it has been the topic of many discussions at our local get togethers.
    It helps to have a good mechanic that will dial your CO in before test and restore it after. Mine has always passed and I like the 80's Sunrise plates.

7. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    #7 ClydeM, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    And what'll happen to the StoogeFest?

Fortunately for you Cali peeps, there is no Spanish translation of Ferrari, just
    "¡Ándele! ¡Ándele! ¡Arriba! ¡Arriba! ¡Epa! ¡Epa! ¡Epa! Yeehaw!"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. JMNGTB

JMNGTB Rookie

Dec 25, 2008
    I think the BAR announced the DMV had made a mistake about cars with Historic Plates in 2013. That was the end of the exemption for bi annual inspections, period. Just wanted to see if others with Historic Plates had the exemption lifted like me. No desire to leave Cali. He'll it was 88 today in Pismo. I was just rolling the dice with AAA. Couple years ago a few members seemed to have better luck with AAA vs the good old DMV. She passed two years ago and she will have no problem now. Yes air quality is important, two thousand mile a year car or otherwise. When I moved to socal in the mid fifties folks were still burning their garbage in 55 gal drums in their back yards, go figure? Cheers, John

9. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Love CA that's why I moved to AZ. My 76 has historic plates, no smog req. AZ likes old cars........ :)

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    A quick Google search and I found this document, text copied below
    https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/b6694537-9245-49f4-93ff-f577dbe0abf6/12vin12.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

New Information
    Vehicles that are 1976 year-model and newer assigned Historical Vehicle License Plates are not exempt from smog requirements based on designation as a historical or collector vehicle.
    Permanent exemption from smog requirements is based on the year-model of the vehicle (i.e. manufactured prior to 1976 year-model) and other specified criteria, and not the license plate assigned to the vehicle.
    However, if a historical or collector vehicle (regardless of the license plates assigned to it) is at least 35 years old, the vehicle is exempt from certain portions of the smog test as required by the California Health and Safety Code, provided the vehicle meets the specified criteria.
    Procedures
    Refer customers who inquire about a smog exemption to contact the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) at Bureau of Automotive Repair, State of California, Dept. of Consumer Affairs or to call the BAR number at 1-800-952-5210.
    Background
    Vehicles assigned Historical Vehicle License Plates were incorrectly being exempt from smog certification requirements.
    References
    California Vehicle Code §§259, 4000.1, 5051, and 5004 California Health and Safety Code §§43002, 44011, and 44012(f) Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual §21.090
    Distribution
    Notification that this memo is available online, at www.dmv.ca.gov under Publications was made via California DMV’s Automated E-mail Alert System in April 2012.
    Contact
    Call the DMV Customer Communications Section, at (916) 657-6560 for further clarification of this memo. Upon request, this document can be produced in Braille or large print.
    JEAN SHIOMOTO, Acting Deputy Director Communication Programs Division

11. JMNGTB

JMNGTB Rookie

Dec 25, 2008
    Insult to injury! Yes we ran this one up the flag pole on this forum back in 2014. Well cheers anyway, John

12. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    But Redondo... man that is nice

if you were in Raleigh today you'd think twice...

:):)

13. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My Classic Car 328 registered in NV does not require smog. Limit on mileage is 5,000 per year so really not an issue as rotating between the cars I don't think I will hit that. You can always do the Montana registration as well.

14. 2RedCars

2RedCars Karting

Sep 6, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Left California five years ago for Northern VA and have never looked back. Lower taxes, gas, and more house for your buck. Also my 328 has Antique plates so I don't have smog or safety inspections. Finally, I can make a left out of my subdivision and hit some beautiful driving roads in less than 2 miles.
    You can have the weather. I'll take everything else.

15. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    I left in 1993, and never looked back. I had wanted to retire at Lake Tahoe, but found there are other places just as nice or nicer with out the "California Headache", and most much cheaper to live in.

16. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    Well, we have the weather and the beaches and the mountains (hills to you :) ) and various diversified sites.

I know there is a lot to complain about in Calif but I have been to most parts of the world and I keep coming back.

Of course I could just be stupid...

17. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    They say there is a place for everyone, mine is not in California.

There is better weather, better hills/mountains, better snow, better beaches, in other states. Less traffic, more rain/no drought, no smog testing, no toll bridges, lower gas prices in other states. There is cheaper houses, better public education and factory outlets in other states. There are states that aren't over built, and have more access to natural resources, parking spaces and no lines at DMV. States that have no personal income taxes, only rear license plates, and the smog laws are reasonable. The list goes on.

I was born, married and had my kids there, but I can't say I miss California...maybe the mahogany boats on Lake Tahoe, but I'll get over it.

18. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    Yup and you have hurricanes and we have ground shakes.

To each his own.

I wonder in a couple thousand years people will be arguing how their Moon or Mars outpost is far better than Earth. :)

19. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #19 robertgarven, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Friends,

Just to set the record straight a democratic governor and Viet-nam vet, Gray Davis signed the rolling exemption law, only to be tossed from office when he upped the car registration fee that was lowered when the state had lots of money. The deal was if we ran short of cash the registration would return to the higher value. I worked very hard to get this bill passed and wrote tons of letter and called everyone I could. The bill passed and by now many more cars would be exempt. When Gov. Swarzenegger was elected he signed a bill repealing the rolling exemption portion fixing the year at 75 and earlier. If we fought hard enough again, this is a democracy, and we could overturn it for classic cars. I have even written several letters recently and contacted my local representatives, but its going to take a concerted effort. There is no reason why a classic car driven few miles should not be exempt, as it is in many other states considered liberal such as Mass.

I like California, the ocean, the weather (except this summer!) the mountains, but agree we could have some needed changes to the smog laws....

Not trying to starting a political argument just stating the facts
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Well actually, I have had both,

California seems to be able to handle a sudden devastation better than the East Coast can handle something they can see coming for several days. Go Figure!

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #21 Rifledriver, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015

Mary Nichols was not the Chair of the ARB when that all happened and Jerry Brown was not Governor.

Mary is going nowhere till she dies unless she gets the top job at US EPA and has declared war on the fossil fueled car. She has the full support of the Governor and those lining up to replace him. She also has the support of a large majority of the legislature. She is a zealot and sees fossil fuel as the bane of mankind's existence.

I believe you are fighting windmills. She is fully committed to screwing up the heat on all fuel burning cars, not relaxing the regulations. Common sense laws are not part of her vocabulary. She has stated she intends to drive them from the roads in the next few years via taxation and regulation as has the support of Jerry in doing so. If any of that sounds like she will soften on older cars that pollute more I just don't know what to say. Then there is Jerry who wants California to be the leader in stopping global warming.

I escaped California like my brother and could not be happier. I just waited 20 years too long.

From smog free, hurricane free, earthquake free, income tax free and knee deep in cheap gas, Austin Texas.

22. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Brian, it's never too late to leave California, were just glad you got out when you did.

We just have one sibling left.

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I had hope but the voters of California proved once again it was misplaced. Jerry a second time proved once and for all that the demographics have changed too much for there to be any hope. The day after election day our escape plan began to take shape.

She has fallen to the dark side. If she leaves it will be because California is too conservative. I always wondered if she really is our sister.

24. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    I guess flash floods only count when you can't get to high ground, or when you have to cross low-water crossings at inopportune times. :)

25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Just don't build a house on low ground near a river.