Ferraris at St Armand's Circle | FerrariChat

Ferraris at St Armand's Circle

Discussion in 'Florida' started by VIZSLA, Oct 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Does anyone have any info on this year's show?

2. West360

West360 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    It's Saturday, November 1st, 2014 at St. Armands Circle Park. The show is rain or shine. Registered car owners should arrive between 9:00 to 10:00 am. The show is from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm and there will be a dinner afterward at La Malinche Mexican Restaurant at 5:00 pm across the street. The dinner is open to owners and their guests plus any Ferrari enthusiasts. This year the Lido Beach Resort will be providing special room rates for Ferrari Owners Club members and guests who wish to spend the night the day before the show or Saturday night. There will be cocktails at the Lido Beach Resort later on Saturday night.

3. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
  4. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Too bad the show-date was moved from early January, when more celebrity snowbirds were in town. During the very first St Armands, Jerry Springer was observed walking the show. A couple of years later, Jackie Mason attended, although he have been in town for a performance at Van Wezel Hall.

SW Florida can still get cold in January, which might have prompted the date-move to a warmer time of year.

5. West360

West360 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    I forgot to mention there will be very nice awards given to each class of Ferrari. The awards presentation is at 3:00 pm.

I believe the show has always been in November from what I can remember the past couple of years. The Sarasota Exotic Car Festival however is usually in February. This event is only for Ferrari's and other exotic cars are welcomed to park around the circle. :)

6. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    The annual Ferraris At St Armand's Circle began as a Ferrari Owners Club Florida Region show, held on the 2nd Saturday in January since 2002. Five or 6 years later, it was moved to a warmer time of year.

7. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I try to catch the show every year... great show, great location

Last year I drove down to St Armand to find the show underwater after a week of rain had turned St Armand's Circle into a marsh. On my way back home I saw the car show had been moved to a street in downtown. (was this planned, or did they move the show last minute?)

Also, didn't they use to have Lamborghini mixed in with the show? Lambo might have gotten too big, as it looks like they kicked them out? Seems the show has been smaller as a result for the last 3 or 4 years? Anyone know the story?

8. West360

West360 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks for the clarification.

9. West360

West360 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Last year was the first year that the Sarasota Exotic Car Festival was moved to downtown. This was planned as numerous businesses stated they didn't like the traffic in St. Armands Circle the years before and visitors were using restrooms and not purchasing products form their stores or restaurants. So instead of bringing thousands to the circle that had to go to another location. I think the St. Armands Circle Association was wrong in doing this and I don't agree with their decision. However the Ferrari Owners Club has secured St. Armands for future years and I think the Porsche Owners Club has as well.

The Ferrari Owners Club show is definitely smaller than the Sarasota Exotic Car Festival but is growing each year.

10. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Sarasota is reconsidering events at the circle during high season. As of now there is a moratorium on new shows and only a few existing ones are grandfathered in.

Is the event judging to official FOC standards?

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    We even had Jim Kaminsky and Paul Sloan at the first one! Wow, you can only imagine how
    thrilled everyone was.

Don't honestly recall if we had judging at the first FOC events at St. Armands. If there
    was, it quite likely was informal.

But, we did have the field full of Ferraris (and some parked around the Circle) which were all
    driven to the venue by their owners. A photographer in a helicopter got some really great aerial
    images of it which ran in TIFOSI. Boy, that seems like a long time ago now.

BHW

12. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    THE Paul Sloan?
    ;)

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    You mean there is more than one?

BHW

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Here not even one.
    ;)

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #15 BartonWorkman, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    St. Armand's is a tremendous venue, we always had a lot of fun there.

Is Gary Roberts still involved with the event? One of the true nice guys in the
    business.

BHW

16. West360

West360 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    The judging is done more informal than most other Concours type of events. There are different classes of judging and there is an Owners Choice category. The glass trophies are etched and are very nice.

Gary Roberts no longer is on the board for helping with this event. There are only a handful of people that make the event happen each year and most are from the Tampa Bay area. I'm a FOC member and this year I have volunteered to help and give my services to make the event a success. We hope to see you there!

17. gardnerld

gardnerld Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    naples
    Full Name:
    Larry G.
    Had thought of driving up from Naples. Can I register and enter on morning of event?

18. West360

West360 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2013
    Tampa, FL
  19. icon

icon Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2006
    longboat key
    Full Name:
    jeff
    #19 icon, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Why show the only car there that wasn't a Ferrari?
    ;)

It was a great day with great cars and some wonderful people.

21. F458Italia

F458Italia Karting

Sep 2, 2009
    Sarasota Lido Key Fl
    Full Name:
    Michael Lentini
    Here is an update the show is sat bob 7th not the 1 st

The Mexican restaurant has been closed for over 6 months so unless someone knows the old owner do not make any plans to eat there

Also if anyone wants a safer place to park your car then the hotel garage I have a condo one block from. The hotel on the beach that can park up to 10 plus cars some inside but all in a private gated parking area you are all invited drop me an reply or message and I will get u the info you will need

22. FLY YELLOW

FLY YELLOW Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2008
    Boca Raton,FL
    Full Name:
    John Vag....
    FYI ^^^........The previous posts were from last year!

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Has anyone heard back from the organizers? A number of us have sent in entries but haven't gotten responses.

24. fmaderi

fmaderi Formula Junior

May 8, 2005
    clearwater Fla/NY
    Full Name:
    frank maderi
    #24 fmaderi, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    There is no reference to ferrari on circle on the FOC Florida site . Checked it yesterday . Was out getting parts for mark's 355 and I asked at FTB and they said yes there is a show . I hope they do something for the late Bruce more head . Great old timer .rip sir . Btw . There is a ref on the Sarasota going -ons ferrari show nov 7 .

25. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    When did Bruce pass away? I visited him several times when I was active with the FOC. Had a great, detached workshop with a lift, off of 60, just east of Brandon. Devoted son, taking care of his elderly mom.