help make this the definitive LED upgrade thread - NEED INFO | FerrariChat

help make this the definitive LED upgrade thread - NEED INFO

Discussion in '348/355' started by Badabing!, Nov 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    #1 Badabing!, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    OK, so I'm on a mission to finish the half a$$ed LED conversion of all external signal lights, marker lights, and tail lights.

I've searched F-chat and the interwebs thoroughly on this and the information out there is scattered and incomplete.

With your help, we can make this the definitive thread on the subject.

There are 2 companies that I have found that seem to offer plug and play solutions but the cost ranges between $500 and over $1,000 US.

I think we can do it for a lot less.

First a little background;

When I bought the car the PO told me he converted all the above mentioned lights to LED. After some unrelated tinkering, I've come to learn that only the rear brake lights and reverse lights (inner domes on US cars) were changed to LED. The outers (turn signals and parking lights) are still incandescent. Similarly in the front, the parking lights are LED and the turn signal is incandescent.

On a separate note, on the Porsche board, an R-lister (that's Porsche speak for an F-chatter) has put together and excellent plug and play LED conversion kit, complete with LED flasher relay. I bought this kit for my 993TT and I WAS BLOWN AWAY by everything about it. I was so impressed (unlike with other LEDS I tried) that after installing, I went on Rennlist and proclaimed that this upgrade should be MANDATORY for all 993 owners! The benefits were numerous including;

1. Much Brighter light output than stock or some other LEDS I've tried, improving cosmetics and visibility (safety).

2. The instant on/off of the brake lights and turn signals give the car an updated, modern touch without it being an obvious modification

3. Reduced power draw (especially important with our sensitive italian electricals)

4. Virtual elimination of heat and melting warping of light lenses (hey, the F355's a$$ is hot enough, aesthetically and literally.)

I want to do this for the F355. The key to this, and the reason I presume my PO did not complete the job, is the flasher relay.

If you install LEDs in the turn signals and keep the stock relay, it reads the low voltage/resistance of the LEDs as a bulb out condition and the signals "hyper-flash"

So we need to find an LED compatible relay that fits our cars, and that's where we need the help of those in the know.

Some may suggest installing in-line load resistors to "fool" the stock flasher, but that will negate some of the benefits of converting to LED

Continued below...

2. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    #2 Badabing!, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    so, based on the info I researched, and using the follow the "clicking" sound (with the turn signal or hazards blinking) method, I located a pair of relays right where the carpet meets the lower dash between the dead pedal and hood release lever.

They are held in place by one simple philips head screw each.

With the hazards still blinking, I pulled them out and I could feel the mechanical click in each one, much more prominent in the 7 prong one though.

This is where it starts getting confusing because to my knowledge most cars have but 1 flasher relay.

As shown below; 1 (with the green tape on it) is a 4 prong relay. The hazards did work when I pulled it out.

The other is a seven pin relay, and the blinkers don't work when I unplug it.

So first question to the group is which one is the one that needs to be converted, or is it both?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Neil, when are you going to officially introduce us to your car with photos? :)

4. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    #4 Badabing!, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I found this flasher relay (commonly known as "EP27") on superbrightleds.

It has a similar prong layout as our "7-prong" except its missing the 2 little prongs that the OEM one has.

Does anyone know if this will work? What do those 2 little prongs do? Do we need them?

5. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    as soon as i get a chance to wash it and get it set up the way i want. i've been so busy, i only get to devote about 4 or 5 hours a month to it.

Its a red/tan gated GTB that just turned 12K miles.

6. Redlyne_mr2

Redlyne_mr2 Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2009
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan D
    Im glad a thread like this came up. So far I have my license plate lights, front marker lights and reverse lights in LED. Im looking to do my fogs, interior light, front blinker light but Ive been trying to find the right signal relay as well.

A front fog light and interior bulb that work would be helpful.

7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  8. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    So, over the last couple of days I tried contacting a vendor who supposedly offers LED bulbs and a compatible flasher relay. I emailed, called multiple times during posted business hours, and left multiple messages.

No response.

We need the brain trust. I'd like to know what the purpose and function is of both relays I posted above.

Also, what to those little extra pins do on the 7 - prong flasher and is an EP27 flasher compatible?

Enquiring minds want to know!

9. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Pre-turkey day bump.

Hoping one of our resident electrical gurus will see this while relaxing over the holiday and drop some knowledge on us.

I would really like to make this happen. It will address at least 2 common problems, namely heat deformed tail light lenses and reduced load on alternator and electrical system.

10. Horsechat

Horsechat Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Any updates on these relays?

I have changed out all rear with the exception of license plate to LEDs but have that fast flasher syndrome till I update relays.

11. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Those who have changed out some bulbs, can you post the source, bulb number and lumen rating if you know it? Superbrightleds has a conversion on their web site that lists the exterior bulbs but they may not be the best ones to go with. Not only do I want cooler in temp., I want the lights to be brighter.

I have not attempted switching to LED's on my 355 but I had attempted to install LED's on the interior of my 328 with mixed results. The dash lighting in that car is really bad. I replaced all of the BA9S bulbs in the dash gauges with a 98 lumen rated bulb and saw a vast improvement. Unfortunately the Speedometer uses a different 74 bulb which I can only find in a 25 lumen which isn't any brighter that the OME incandescent bulbs so no improvement there. I also attempted to replace all of the indicator lights but the LED bulbs did not make good contact in the sockets and I has having problems with the turn signals so I pulled all of them out and went back to the incandescent bulbs for the indicator lights.

The LED's worked well in the 328 door and are much cooler as the door light used to get really hot.

Just a side question, does anyone know how LED bulbs will be received in concorse judging? Will them be given a deduction for non-OME?

12. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Nope. I contacted several people in the biz. None of them know how to deal with that odd flasher relay

13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Any new news

14. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Still working on it. No joy so far. Been corresponding with someone in the Norway about a prototype.

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Did you figure out if the othe relay worked? Does anyone know what those extra 2 pins are for?

16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Just wanted to let everyone know that my 99 355 F1 uses 8 red 1157 bulbs for brake and tail and two 1156 for backup.

I ordered from suoerbright led. 45mini leds in each tower 360 degree viewing angle. About 25 dollars each

17. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Do you have thehyperflash issue?

18. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Dont know yet i had too place a second order because some ya hoo posted our cars take 4 1156 for the tail lights and mine doesnt. I am sure i will have that problem.

If i have time i will take one out of the other side amd try it.

19. ferrari bud

ferrari bud Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Chris
  20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting. How many wires go the relay holder of the 7 pin relay? Would you be able to make a list of the wire colours and which pins on the relay they go to?

Could the 4 prong relay be a hazard + acoustic repeater relay? It looks like the unused pins have been ground down. Weird.

On my Euro-based '98 F355 Spider, there is just one 7 pin relay-flasher unit (see other thread). There is no acoustic repeater and the hazard circuits are incorporated in the one relay-flasher unit.

Cheers
    Ian.

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, misread that. The hazards DID work. So what didn't work?

22. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    Is there a definitive conclusion to this thread yet?

23. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    So 5 years after I posted this thread, there exists in the world a solution to this issue.

I have purchased an installed the new TSL (Turn Signal Light) ECU from Scud Ing Swiss (https://www.scuding.com/Shop/en/ecu-solutions/102-smart-tls-ecu.html) with the option 7 pin adapter cable, together with high quality led bulbs soured from Bergville FX (https://www.bergvillfx.com/)

Installation of the relay is very simple and so far it works as advertised although I have not gotten into the advanced programming. The thing that I am most excited about is that you can retain the oem "clicker" relay (separate from the flasher relay which is replaced by this unit) and silence the sounds from the new unit to retain the original sound.

8 1157 red bulbs are needed, 4 for the turn signal/marker lights and 4 for the rear brake lights
    2 1156 white for the reverse lights.

When activated they are really bright. My whole garage is lit up red when I step on the brakes lol.

I also ordered 2 1157 amber for the front turn signal /marker lights but I haven't had time to install them yet.

I'm looking forward to getting more time to play with the advanced functions. The lane change feature that modern cars have is nice.

Stay tuned

24. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Installed the front turn signals today as well as a pair of 1156 white in the front marker position. Everything works as it should. The markers are a bright white and the light fills the lens completely and gives it an updated look without looking cheesy.

Very pleased with the results.

ruey220 and Qavion like this.
  25. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    There was another thread about this and yes you're right it's awesome theres a solution to get LED lights. I also updated mine and it looks awesome.

I have an extra set of Philip's LED headlights if you're interested. It's also a direct fit if you're interested PM me. I got them for 90 I'll sell for 50 since I tried putting them in the fogs but they didnt fit.