'84 512bbi at Auctions America | FerrariChat

'84 512bbi at Auctions America

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ttn27, Oct 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
  2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I thought the certification meant a car was as it came from the factory and its an expensive process but recently I realized how useless the certification really is. A friend has a non-numbers matching car, engine and gearbox incorrect for that chassis but still the correct type of engine and gearbox. Classhice said no problem, it would pass the certification even though its not the engine and gearbox the car came with! Additionally I was told cosmetics are not really a factor in the evaluation. So my question is what is the purpose of the certification other than to extract money from car owners? I guess ferrari is just saying "yes its a ferrari with a ferrari engine, you're good to go, $5K please!"

3. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sold for. +/- $360,000. Couldn't tell much about interior condition from pics (no dash pics etc). I have no insight on condition. Last engine out service was done some time in 2013.

4. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #4 msdesignltd, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think I owned this car in 87/88/89
    I bought it from leon cornell
    And sold it to steven kessler at the height of 89 frienzy
    Is thier a registry that far back

A pic from 89
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

47413 vin. By that pic looks like there are some scrapes and such around vin plate in engine compartment. I saw one with this kind of mileage and thought it needed lots of TLC to be a drivable car.

Looks like your car needs a camber adjustment. Not a fan of wide angle shots, they distorte to much.

6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #6 samsaprunoff, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Just adding documentation...

Cheers,

Sam

1984 Ferrari 512BBi
    Color: Red with Black Interior / Red Inserts
    Mileage: 03610
    VIN: ZFFJA09B000047413
    Chassis: 47413

7. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I didn't notice it in parts book. I know 308's all have them. Where is the special receptacle for it?

8. tsang85

tsang85 Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    Vancouver
    Wow that price is low. Seems the boxer market has softened lately. Might be a good time for people on the fence to jump in!

9. abo78

abo78 Karting

Sep 5, 2008
    Denmark
    I just think the estimate was a bit in the high end for a BBi - that estimate would have been more appropriate for a BB.

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Wrong. Estimate was well in line. I would have expected the car to sell for $375 k - 400 k. A bb in similar represented condition could fetch a bit more.

11. ferraripete

Of additional value to many buyers / owners is the amerispec federalization. Note the marker lamps are correct. No apparent cutting nor cobbling. I don't like the black rockers however. My original amerispec car has red rockers.

12. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i concur. my amerispec bbi is very well done, although some of the changes have been reversed. my rockers are red, and its a better look imo.

at to price, this slightly lower result can just as easily be chalked up to the events of the day - it is close enough to the estimate to not indicate anything on the price front.

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    In spring there were two BBIs low mileage, I think they went for 357K but needed the full eo shocks springs hoses etc so they sold for essentiualy close on 400K.

If boxer along with Dino and every other serial period ferrari prices have softened, its slightly. Lets not forget 18 months ago we were all excited when these cars broke 200k.

The market is flattenign and if prices go 10% below peak thats just fine, its foolish to think prices will constantly go up..

The car market runs in clycles, next cycle and it may be 2-8 years from now these will be 500k cars.

If you want a boxer, these new prices have brought a lot of great ones out the woodwork, buy one you like and drive it for 5 years and you will get your money back and maybe make a profit.

If you want to buy to flip to make money in 12 months, odds are you will loose.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They were $ 70 - $90K three years ago????

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Did they swap your tail lights also, to get the brakes lights visible from the sides??

16. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #16 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    I stuck my head in the window and it looked like more mileage to me. We had a 6000 mile Boxer there and it's interior was much better I thought. Prices where lower for this second tier and first year auction for the Hilton Head Island Concours. A Dino stalled at 210 but I think it is the one that was cut and flares added. This is an excellent event. We were honored to be two cars down from Rick Workman's California Spyder. A 308 sold for 101 with a GTC at around 630 or so. Results are posted. I hate to admit it but I sort of like the 1980 Mustang for the money. One of three and something different at 40k.

17. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

You know, I would be OK with that if they just kept to some kind of standard. Right now certification is a moving target. They are being subjective instead of being objective.

18. ferraripete

I will check on that this week. I will let you know.

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
  21. ferraripete

well there ya go!!! the boxer is becoming the "if ya wanna play ya gotta pay" car!

22. ferraripete

I wonder how much they want to charge for the 5 year / 100k powertrain warranty?

23. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    wow! that was quick